Hit and Run - Sheffield

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Elizabethsdad

Hit and Run - Sheffield

Post by Elizabethsdad »

To knock a cyclist over and carry on without stopping is bad enough. Stopping and getting out of the car, seeing them lying in the road injured and bleeding and to then say 'I can't stop my kids will be late for school' has to be the dictionary definition of callous selfishness. For this they really should get a driving ban and walk the kids to school. School run parents do seem to be a law unto themselves though.
http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/cyc ... -1-7149791
pwa

Re: Hit and Run - Sheffield

Post by pwa »

Just got back after running the kids to school (5 miles away, no bus option). Did not hit anyone.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I wonder if it's possible to identify, or at least narrow down, the school in question? I would certainly get on to the head teacher(s) ASAP. Kids boast about this sort of thing in the playground, it ought to be possible to identify them. Next time that driver may kill someone - and drive away.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
karlt

Post by karlt »

Probably. Mushroom Lane doesn't really go anywhere. Netherthorpe Primary School is a candidate. Depends which way along Mushroom Lane the driver was going, but I think it was in that direction because that would be a right turn across the cyclist's reported path. Or a left hook from behind.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

pwa wrote:Just got back after running the kids to school (5 miles away, no bus option). Did not hit anyone.

OK accept I was making a generalisation and that there are parents for whom driving the kids to school is best option and that they do so safely and considerately. Round here I see a lot of parents drive their kids to school out of laziness and just shove their cars wherever they feel like parking them - including on the pavement that other children are walking on, in the bus stops so that the buses can't get in, on both sides of the road forcing traffic into a crawling single file as well as making crossing the road more hazardous and even right in front of the school gates. I can't help feeling that in lot of these cases if they only got out of bed five minutes earlier they would have the time to drive and park in a civilised and considerate manner or even walk the kids to school.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What an awful thing to do. I hope they find and ban her. I really do. I won't hold out much hope, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

This same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, the guy got out of his car after wiping me out at a roundabout, saw that I was on the floor, women kneeling over me said don't move you might have hurt your back and he was on his toes. Jumped back in his car swerved around myself and the bike (but ran over my night time goggles :evil: ) and was off. Despite there being half a dozen vehicles stopped no-one got his reg (except the first few characters which plod couldn't trace)
Sad thing is the police couldn't have being less interested if they tried, there were loads of CCTV in the area from businesses and even a council one in the vicinity of his escape route (I know because I checked), however the police couldn't be bothered to do so and failed to even ring me back as promised, didn't send me a letter to state the outcome (or rather they did but couldn't even get my address right!)
Luckily for me I wasn't badly hurt but rear wheel was a write off which was an expensive ceramic Open pro too :twisted:

Unless you're badly injured the police don't seem to give a flying fig quite frankly.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tonyf33 wrote:
Unless you're badly injured the police don't seem to give a flying fig quite frankly.

My experience too(though I haven't been knock off)the attitude of the police IME is diabolical.

To drive off and leave someone laying in the road like that is atrocious behaviour,what an example to her children.
I sincerely hope this dangerous moron is caught,but TBH even if they are the penalties aren't anywhere near harsh enough.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vmlopes

Post by Vmlopes »

I was knocked off about a month ago, ended up waking up face down in a ditch. Don't remember much other than a car was behind me on a tight s bend went to overtake me and then realised there was a car coming towards him. Kept going and his mirror clipped my handlebars and instantly turned them towards the ditch.

He/she didn't stop :shock: reported to the police but not much point as what's the chance of them identifying them.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I think the 'my kids are upset' bit was the doozie, what about the poor lad and what sort of example is she giving - 'oh sorry, other people do compassion, i give to charity'.

The car must use that road regularly, it has caused quite a stink locally so maybe in this instance we might get some sort of result
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I suspect that the driver will keep clear for a few days - perhaps walk to school??
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

As I read it, it was the passenger who got out, so surely that means there was a driver who stayed in the car and so could have left the passenger to sort stuff out if they were that bothered about getting the kids to school.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Postboxer wrote:As I read it, it was the passenger who got out, so surely that means there was a driver who stayed in the car and so could have left the passenger to sort stuff out if they were that bothered about getting the kids to school.

That what Road.cc says http://road.cc/content/news/145268-teen ... -who-drove

I can't believe that *two* adults were involved in this, and one of them didn't call out the other. If it was such a big deal, why couldn't the driver stay behind & let the passenger take the kids to school? Or leave the passenger there to deal with the aftermath?

And what are they teaching those poor children? :cry:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Mushroom Lane crosses Crookes Valley Road - but you can only turn down Mushroom Lane towards Netherthorpe. Apparently there are two schools in that direction, Bethany School - described as a Christian school and Netherthorpe Primary. Either way, I wouldn't have thought it would take too much effort to find the driver/passenger responsible. I bet the parents responsible are walking their kids to school now - that said, they're probably so stupid that they're not.

Feel sorry for the lad. Those cuts to his face will take ages to heal. Could have been much worse I suppose.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

If those children are being set that sort of example, time for Social Services to take a look....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).