ASL fixed penalty

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
The fat commuter

ASL fixed penalty

Post by The fat commuter »

Was investigating on Money Saving Expert how to overturn a parking invoice (but that's another story) when I came across this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=5193655

I remember reading on here how no one had heard of anyone being 'done' for being in an ASL box - well, there you go. Wonder how his/her appeal goes?
Postboxer

Re: ASL fixed penalty

Post by Postboxer »

Isn't the problem that it doesn't get recorded as a separate offence, just as 'failing to stop at a red light' so there's no official figures for it?

Someone on the MSE forum asked if it was reasonable to expect a group of cyclists who have gathered in an advanced stop box to ride in single file and on the left.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

There was a recent case on Pepipoo, where I think the OP was on a motorbike.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=97149
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

I wonder could I persuade that copper to move his beat to my neighbourhood.

I was doing a few laps of the local park today and at one particular junction there is always a problem with cars in the mandatory bike lane and ASL. This morning, for some reason, it was worse than normal.

I noticed there was a police Astra parked opposite watching the junction.

After several circuits, each time being shouldered out of the bike lane by the queues of cars, I went over to the officer seated in the car and explained my concern. He sighed and while on the surface he emphasised with my plight he was nevertheless firm that he wouldn't do anything about it because if the cars couldn't use the bike lane and ASL "it would cause more congestion".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not the same, but the same idea ............

Years ago, I complained about lorries driving on the twisty windy A390 between Gunnislake and Tavistock. Not the lorries particularly, but that they crossed and straddled the double white lines for much of the journey. This is illegal despite their size. If they went very slowly and carefully, they could avoid breaking the law.

When I complained, I got the same reply as you. If the lorries had to NOT cross or straddle the double white lines, it would cause more congestion.

You cannot win.
Mick F. Cornwall
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

So many whingeing drivers over there, when will they understand a simple rule?

IF YOU'RE NOT ON A BICYCLE, STAY OUT OF THE BICYCLE BOX!
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
beardy

Post by beardy »

That would mean them having to drive on the wrong side of the road at busy junctions, not a very practical solution.

We have to accept that they have every right to drive through the ASLs and that sometimes means they will have to stop there too. We are not going to get the level of policing needed to catch those who enter it when a red light is showing. Though some drivers are, as is common, mistaking a lack of enforcement for a a lack of a law.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

beardy wrote:We have to accept that they have every right to drive through the ASLs and that sometimes means they will have to stop there too. We are not going to get the level of policing needed to catch those who enter it when a red light is showing.

It doesn't need policing. It only needs enforcement cameras.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Enforcement is currently done with a detector loop under the road after the second stop line, and a camera pointing at that area. These could be moved to the first stop line. Technically, not difficult.

It would take motorists some time to realise that a red light means "don't cross the first stop line". Judging by cases on Pepipoo, motorists often don't realise that the stop line defines the offence. (I could say something similar about many cyclists.)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

snibgo wrote:Enforcement is currently done with a detector loop under the road after the second stop line, and a camera pointing at that area. These could be moved to the first stop line. Technically, not difficult.

It would take motorists some time to realise that a red light means "don't cross the first stop line". Judging by cases on Pepipoo, motorists often don't realise that the stop line defines the offence. (I could say something similar about many cyclists.)

And of course the loop knows whether it was activated before/after the light turned red...

I imagine I'd have a few photo's taken (since I'm set up to trigger said loops) but it should be fairly easy to adjust the sensitivity - they manage it on various traffic light controlled junctions ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.