Police stop 4yo pavement cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Police stop 4yo pavement cyclist

Post by Grandad »

Valbrona

Re: Easier than catching law breaking motorists

Post by Valbrona »

This is the story about a four year old girl that a Police officer was supposed to have verbally reprimanded for cycling on the pavement.

I treat things like this with a pinch of salt. The copper may have said something as a joke. Or his/her words may have been misheard/misinterpreted.
I should coco.
maxcherry

Police fianally stop pavement cyclist

Post by maxcherry »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-31805312

Making the streets a safer place.....unless your four :roll:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I fancy this may have been a POLICE COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICER. or rather, I hope so.

Interesting to see that the beeb has turned to the CTC for comment. There have been several important news stories recently where the CTC didn't get a look in. Eg Bike routes in former London Underground tunnels - London Cycling Campaign quoted; Reductions in traffic policing - usual motoring lobby quoted.
661-Pete

Re: Police fianally stop pavement cyclist

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect there's more to this story than appears at first sight.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:I fancy this may have been a POLICE COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICER. or rather, I hope so.
With all respect TC - isn't that rather a condescending remark? The majority of PCSOs, I'm sure, do a perfectly acceptable job.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote: ... With all respect TC - isn't that rather a condescending remark? The majority of PCSOs, I'm sure, do a perfectly acceptable job.

If I'm right that this was a PCSO, I'm not criticising the individual at all. This story is only newsworthy because it refers to a police officer - by implication trained and empowered to deal with the entire range of offending and in particular with considerable discretion in the exercise of their powers. I've posted several times before that PCSO's are recruited principally to show a presence - politicians conning a gullible public. Their training and powers reflect this. Enforcing a vague version of the law in relation to pavement cycling is one of the few things they have the power to deal with. Here's one of the results. I emphasised the POLICE and reduced the rest of it to emphasise my point.

Unless you were being ironic, I'll just mention that beginning a comment with reference to "respect" is just about as patronising as it gets.

===========================================================================
PS

It's occurred to me that this might have been a special constable, who would have had all the powers of a police constable, but only a tiny part of the training. Again, this is not a criticism of the individual(s) the majority of whom are public spirited people volunteering to make the world a better place. I think I've posted before that some years ago, one of our friends was threatened with arrest by his next-door neighbour who was a sergeant in the specials, who threatened him with arrest because of the way he was mowing his lawn. L :lol: L
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

661-Pete wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I fancy this may have been a POLICE COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICER. or rather, I hope so.
With all respect TC - isn't that rather a condescending remark? The majority of PCSOs, I'm sure, do a perfectly acceptable job.

Which by definition leaves a fair few that don't (which is a fact in itself), it would seem extremely difficult to see this being from an actual real police constable IF indeed it is true which is hard enough to fathom anyway.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I was under the impression that its not the childs age rather that 'cycles' under 20" wheel (exceptions being adult folding bikes, shoppers etc) are classified as toys, with a different standard which makes them unsuitable for road use. In fact they are actually sold as 'pavement cycles'.

Next they'll be wanting prams and pushchairs off the pavement, scooters, disability chairs........
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ask the police in attendance to close the road, since safety is their prime concern....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

next will be traffic wardens ticket a parked bike
NATURAL ANKLING

Child 4 On Path...Police We take Bike...

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
:?:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-31805312

"Roger Geffen, of national charity Cyclists' Touring Club, said the officer was "unfair" and "wrong".

"The police officer has forgotten that children under the age of 10 are below the criminal age of responsibility so they can't break laws and can technically ride on the pavement," he said."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Well, she shouldn't have been riding on the path anyway. Footpaths are for parking on. :roll:

(Saw this on the news at lunchtime. At least the police have been round to the house to apologise.)
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
CREPELLO

Re: Child 4 On Path...Police We take Bike...

Post by CREPELLO »

I know the child was on the path where she should be at that age, but there are already two threads on this subject...in the 'On The Road' board :wink:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Whether the police(whatever) officerwas adequately trained or not, this is clearly the actions of someone whose judgement is so poor they're in the wrong job, or, if voluntary, in the wrong volunteering area.
However, I'm not sure what sort of job/volunteer sector this sort of poor judgement and unnecessarily stroppy conduct would fit anyone for.............