Stop!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Stop!

Post by mjr »

blackbike wrote:Every one of these posters telling cyclists to obey red lights is a missed opportunity for an extra safety related poster aimed at the people who cause very nearly all the death, injury and destruction on our roads - drivers of motor vehicles.

This makes them a poor use of public money.

Even worse: that poster is simple but wrong. Cyclists do not have to stop at red bike/man symbol lights (which are basically a give-way), only at red dots like cars.

I also think motorists jumping lights are a far bigger problem around here than cycles, such as the King's Lynn Decor small white van that blasted through the pedestrian crossing by our post office I used this lunchtime, a good few seconds after his light went red :mad: I feel that if you use a pushbutton crossing when you look adult and reasonably sane, some motorists will assume you've seen them and just drive through regardless. Never mind "everybody be nice" posters: there should be more number-plate-reading red light cameras issuing fines, with US-style warning signs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.