Stop!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ray

Re: Stop!

Post by Ray »

661-Pete wrote:The ambiguity could easily have been removed by adding the word PLEASE.

Quite true. But maybe that would make it a request (with the option to decline?), whereas I guess it was intended as a command.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The English language is deficient, then, in that it doesn't have a distinct imperative form, unlike most other languages. I suppose using an exclamation mark, as in the thread title, would be a crude remedy.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ray

Post by Ray »

Unfortunately, this poster/sign is deficient in so many other ways that its linguistic flakiness is perhaps the least of its problems.

Betrays a level of ignorance and illogicality that hardly gives you confidence that those responsible for planning and implementing transport policy know what they are doing.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Remove the comma
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Ray wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:This belongs in the same syntactical category as 'Gentlemen Lift the Seat'.

Surely the added comma in the cycling poster avoids it being a simple statement of fact (as above) ?

Ah - I missed the comma. Aging eyes. But then I guess most who see this in a street situation might also miss the comma, which is hardly a common feature of road signage. As with the immortal British Rail injunction (or lament?), the implication is...so nobody else does, then?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Those nice Men at the Ministry have also provided some information with regard to their campaign strategy: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nk-cyclist
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From gaz's link

Working in partnership with Transport for London (TfL), THINK! have used TfL’s ‘tips’ campaign and extended it to run in 5 cities across England where cyclist casualties are highest outside of London:
•Birmingham
•Bristol
•Cambridge
•Leeds
•Manchester

How did at least one end up in Bradford? :?
gaz

Post by gaz »

The campaign seems to have started in London and spread to those towns and cities some years ago with an invitation for others to join in.

In which case it would seem that Bradford have now signed up and that any feedback already given to the DfT about this particular poster has been taken on board*.

*Dismissed.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

We seem to be getting some attention. Stood at the lights behind a First Bus last week I noticed for the first time the sign affixed to the rear. "Cyclists do not pass down the nearside" [or words to that effect]. Ok I thought. Thinking about cyclists. Trouble is the driver completely ruined it, as at the next set of lights, he just drove right over the stop line and parked in the ASL. Took up the full area. Nice.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

gaz wrote:DfT has simply placed a contract(s) to have these signs put up at bus stops and quite possibly other locations. Bill then drives round, takes one out of the back of the van at random and posts it up.

We use bus stop poster advertising for our shop. Marketing department sends me a list of Leeds bus stops and I bracket them good, OK, bad, don't know. So you can choose the locations with this type of campaign.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote:The campaign seems to have started in London and spread to those towns and cities some years ago with an invitation for others to join in.

In which case it would seem that Bradford have now signed up and that any feedback already given to the DfT about this particular poster has been taken on board*.

*Dismissed.

I didn't spot the date in your link, which might be why I've seen none of these in Leeds. OTOH, the tone of the OP and subsequent posts seems to suggest that I'm not alone in assuming this is something new. I've seen plenty of road safety "Think!" posters before but the only ones to have registered with my related to motorbikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I don't like this sign at all. Why is the word cyclists needed?! Why isn't it a sign for all users? Plenty of motor vehicles don't stop at red lights either, :evil: but by implication it is portraying cyclists as bad and drivers as good.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It's a simple request for compliance with the rules of the road, and some people (unfortunately) do need telling. I have seen signs telling people to drive carefully, keep their speed down and so on, so with that background I have no problem with this cycling related sign.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:It's a simple request for compliance with the rules of the road, and some people (unfortunately) do need telling. I have seen signs telling people to drive carefully, keep their speed down and so on, so with that background I have no problem with this cycling related sign.

I think it's the word 'Cyclists' in the notice that arouses suspicions of being condescending.

But what can one say? Only yesterday, I was in my car approaching this junction (note the priorities): a cyclist coming from my left shot straight across the GIVE WAY lines into my path. And he was togged up in all the roadie kit (despite being almost in the gutter). Luckily I'd anticipated his move and was able to stop in time to give him room. For my pains, I got a casual hand wave which may have been a form of rebuke....

Would a motor vehicle driver have made a similar error? I've passed that particular junction hundreds of times, and all I can say is, I don't recollect such an instance. The GIVE WAY is clearly signed.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

pwa wrote:It's a simple request for compliance with the rules of the road, and some people (unfortunately) do need telling. I have seen signs telling people to drive carefully, keep their speed down and so on, so with that background I have no problem with this cycling related sign.
But it's not just a cycling issue. As I have been nearly "mown down" as a pedestrian on numerous occasions by motorists on failing to stop at red lights I don't understand why they aren't targeted. They are by far the biggest danger. It also reinforces the view that by some motorists that they are good and cyclists are bad.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.