Stop!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bigjim

Stop!

Post by bigjim »

First time I have seen this. Also strange that it is facing the wrong way.
gaz

Re: Stop!

Post by gaz »

It's one of a set of six from those nice men at the ministry: http://think.direct.gov.uk/cycling.html
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

This belongs in the same syntactical category as 'Gentlemen Lift the Seat'.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've never see any of the others on my travels. I notice there is not one telling drivers to give us space when overtaking.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I think they are quite sensible and even handed. They do need to be rolled out beyond the capital - there are people outside of the M25, honest!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Red Light Jumping is a national sport round my way :)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I saw the one about riding centrally in narrow lanes on Thursday. I was driving when I saw it and I couldn't stop easily to have a closer look at its origins and to take a pic for the forum. It was only child care commitments this morning that stopped me going back for a better look so gaz's post + link have saved me an unnecessary journey. I had assumed it was a one-off from Bradford Council.

The rather strange thing about the location of the one I saw was that it was at the side of the A650 Wakefield Road in Bradford, at a point where it's a dual carriageway with three lanes in each direction. In the direction I was going, towards the city centre, it's downhill so any rider confident enough to use that road can generally maintain their position in traffic and I doubt that that type of rider needs any encouragement to take the lane. I commuted to central Bradford on that road from 1987 to 1991. There's one point where an entry slip from an overhead roundabout forms an extra lane so I was in the middle of the middle lane of three until I was sure it was safe to move over into the left-hand lane. A different scenario going home and riding uphill. :oops:
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Am i the only one who looks forward to red traffic lights?
Chance to get my breath back and have a quick stretch or drink
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

My route home everyday that on the A650. joining the slip road from the Middle lane can be a big hair raising in the rush hour.
Ray

Post by Ray »

ChrisButch wrote:This belongs in the same syntactical category as 'Gentlemen Lift the Seat'.

Surely the added comma in the cycling poster avoids it being a simple statement of fact (as above) ?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

maxcherry wrote:Am i the only one who looks forward to red traffic lights?
Chance to get my breath back and have a quick stretch or drink

Up to a point! Much of the time yes I need an excuse for a rest. But not if its light after light after light.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Actually it bugs me. It seems to me to make a point about cyclists running lights where the major and most dangerous culprits are motorists. How dopey do you have to be where you place the sign on the side of the road where the only people that see it are pedestrians. :evil:
It's even got the word think underneath it!
gaz

Post by gaz »

I can't imagine that any thought has been given as to whether or not such locations see many people passing by on bicycles. As TC has shown, a cyclist doesn't have to be on their bicycle to read the message. Neither can I imagine that any thought has gone into which poster type goes up at which site.

DfT has simply placed a contract(s) to have these signs put up at bus stops and quite possibly other locations. Bill then drives round, takes one out of the back of the van at random and posts it up.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When I saw "mine", I got the impression that it was something Bradford Council had thought up locally and specific to that location. Obviously, I was wrong, but while I was still mistakenly thinking along those lines, I thought that it would tend to legitimate riding assertively on such a big road, where the poster is prominently displayed. That was the thinking that would have had me going back for a second look.

I agree that everybody should comply with traffic lights, including me, but a poster exhorting only cyclists to comply implies that everybody else is compliant, which is obviously not the case. While it's a good idea for riders to avoid being doored, it's an even better idea to ensure drivers and their passengers are careful when opening vehicle doors.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ray wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:This belongs in the same syntactical category as 'Gentlemen Lift the Seat'.

Surely the added comma in the cycling poster avoids it being a simple statement of fact (as above) ?

The ambiguity could easily have been removed by adding the word PLEASE.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).