A new one on me!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TonyR

A new one on me!

Post by TonyR »

First time I've ever seen one of these - a self justifying road sign!
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1425633098.682549.jpg
gaz

Re: A new one on me!

Post by gaz »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You couldn't make it up :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I'd take a generous approach and assume it was originally to the side and out of the way referring to signs that are in the cycle lane further up and some wit has moved it into the cycle lane...
Because the guy that originally placed them wouldn't put that in the cycle lane would he... :lol:
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

kwackers wrote:I'd take a generous approach and assume it was originally to the side and out of the way referring to signs that are in the cycle lane further up and some wit has moved it into the cycle lane...
Because the guy that originally placed them wouldn't put that in the cycle lane would he... :lol:

You can just make out on the photo a yellow sign further up the cycleway, so I think that is right.

I was recently annoyed to experience, on my daily commute, a carriageway narrowed by a sign warning of the upcoming narrowing of the carriageway. It was especially annoying because the narrowing it referred to was actually, though it didn't say so, down the side turn to the left. Fortunately someone has now relocated the sign to the footway.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Surely that will need a warning sign, "Pedestrians - Caution Signage on Footway" :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

And obviously the granddaddy of all signs: "Caution. Warning sign ahead"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

iviehoff wrote:
kwackers wrote:I'd take a generous approach and assume it was originally to the side and out of the way referring to signs that are in the cycle lane further up and some wit has moved it into the cycle lane...

You can just make out on the photo a yellow sign further up the cycleway, so I think that is right.

I was recently annoyed to experience, on my daily commute, a carriageway narrowed by a sign warning of the upcoming narrowing of the carriageway. It was especially annoying because the narrowing it referred to was actually, though it didn't say so, down the side turn to the left. Fortunately someone has now relocated the sign to the footway.

And if I pass it I'll move it back - assuming the footway isn't wide enough for both the sign and a wheelchair...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
iviehoff wrote:

And if I pass it I'll move it back - assuming the footway isn't wide enough for both the sign and a wheelchair...

The sign is no more an obstruction to pedestrians on this wide footway than the existing large tree and row of bicycle stands. The challenge was actually to find a location on the footway in the narrow gap between said obstructions and kerb where you could still see the sign. Although arguably no one needs to see the sign, as it is unhelpful and unnecessary...