My first car incident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mark a.

My first car incident

Post by mark a. »

Today I was hit by a car for the first time ever in many years of cycling. And it was... fine :D.

It was a classic SMIDSY: car pulling out of a side road didn't stop. Luckily I was already wary (I couldn't get eye contact with the driver), had time for evasive maneuvers, shouted loudly and the car was slow. In the end it was the gentlest of bumps and I didn't even fall over (I was ready to roll into the car bonnet if possible, rather than under the wheels). No damage at all, apologetic driver etc etc etc. On my way soon after.

It's not something to recommend, but I'm glad my first (and hopefully only) such incident was a gentle reminder of what can happen.
The fat commuter

Re: My first car incident

Post by The fat commuter »

Glad that you're OK - that's the main thing.

Regarding when drivers make mistakes - and it does happen, it is good when they acknowledge their error and apologize.

I remember one incident where I could see a car at a junction and I had that second sense that the driver hadn't seen (despite two front lights and a luminous top). I slowed a bit and braced for a hard brake - and he did start to pull out. I had nearly stopped when he saw me with a look of fear on his face - gave me a wave and mouthed sorry. Waved back and was on my way.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

mark a. wrote:It was a classic SMIDSY: car pulling out of a side road didn't stop.

That happens when they are playing Candy Crush on their mobile phone.
I should coco.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mark

I've had the same thing happen to me. Dopey driver just drifting out of a side road at very low speed, nudged my back wheel and I hit the deck. And a very elderly man nearly did the same recently, prevented only by my loud shouting alerting him and getting him to brake. I've been cycling on the roads for about 45 years, and these minor incidents are all I have to report.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Well done on spotting it and taking evasive action. My poll suggests this happened because you're active on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=91178 - doesn't it? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.