Police appeal - attack on cyclists in Islington

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bikes4two

Re: Police appeal - attack on cyclists in Islington

Post by bikes4two »

AndyBSG wrote:
Really makes you wonder about society when someone can just walk out on a busy street and stab a complete stranger in the chest just to steal a bike.

Do we know that the victim was a complete stranger?

AndyBSG wrote:That whole area is rife with street crime of this sort, I personally had a mobile stolen by a cycle past thief just a week before.......

Were you stab as well? I presume so based on your last statement?

AndyBSG wrote: it was pretty apparent that street robberies of that sort are a daily occurrence

Really?

It is this sort of exageration that breads fear - not based on facts but what, fear I suppose.

I'm happy to be proved wrong of course and then we can all be properly prepared to be stabbed and mugged when we go cycling in such areas!
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

bikes4two wrote:
AndyBSG wrote:
Really makes you wonder about society when someone can just walk out on a busy street and stab a complete stranger in the chest just to steal a bike.

Do we know that the victim was a complete stranger?

The culprits have been arrested and both the police and the victims parents have stated that the attackers weren't known to the victim to their knowledge

bikes4two wrote:
AndyBSG wrote:That whole area is rife with street crime of this sort, I personally had a mobile stolen by a cycle past thief just a week before.......

Were you stab as well? I presume so based on your last statement?

Nowhere do I say that I was stabbed, just that I was mugged in the same area as this attack

bikes4two wrote:
AndyBSG wrote:it was pretty apparent that street robberies of that sort are a daily occurrence

Really?

It is this sort of exageration that breads fear - not based on facts but what, fear I suppose.

I'm happy to be proved wrong of course and then we can all be properly prepared to be stabbed and mugged when we go cycling in such areas!

I don't know many people who live in or frequent that area so when myself and a friend are both mugged there within days of each other then this happens two weeks later then I consider it to be a common occurrence

The Police were pretty up front with me when I reported it and made it clear this happens all the time so unless the guy was handed to them on a plate nothing would happen and when I was asked to go through mug shots there were over 300 suspects known to operate in that area matching my description.

Also, for January alone there were 116 reported muggings within a 1 mile area of Caledonian Road according to the public crime statistics database(not including robberies, muggings, bike thefts and burglary which are categorised separately) so rather than me exaggerating they are daily occurrence those stats show that muggings in that area are actually occurring multiple times each day and that's just the ones reported.

Regardless, I don't know why my opinions have upset you so much and caused you to take such personal offence.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

reohn2 wrote:
Valbrona wrote:The well established trend now, particularly in parts of the capital, is one of using amounts of violence far in excess of what is needed to actually secure a street robbery-type crime.

Strange way to get street cred' :?

That makes sense. A murder makes them top dog in prison, and I guess that level of credibility is something they just like.
I should coco.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Valbrona wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Valbrona wrote:The well established trend now, particularly in parts of the capital, is one of using amounts of violence far in excess of what is needed to actually secure a street robbery-type crime.

Strange way to get street cred' :?

That makes sense. A murder makes them top dog in prison, and I guess that level of credibility is something they just like.

The scrapings of society.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

AndyBSG wrote:
Regardless, I don't know why my opinions have upset you so much and caused you to take such personal offence.

It wasn't meant to be personal (although I can see that you might take it that way, so my apologies). It's just that where bad news is published on this forum, in the press and the wider media, the negativity of it all, made worse by speculation and exageration does in itself make matters worse than they are.

You have sought to clarify and ratify your earlier comments - that's fine, but on first reading them (the earlier comments that is), they could be seen to be speculative etc. which leads the uninformed to continue to push the 'isin't a dreadful world we live' in band wagon along,

Anyway, rant over, and apologies for any offence given.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think this story probably highlights those who live in London. The thought that I could be cycling along and some stranger who wants my bike not just grabs it but also knifes me. Maybe could have been me. A new danger that maybe be copycatted, not only the lorrys now.