Police appeal - attack on cyclists in Islington

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Islington cyclist stab murder inquiry begins

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob

Re: Islington cyclist stab murder inquiry begins

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Can we copy the tweet, but hashtag putdownyourlorries
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

eh?
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

mercalia wrote:London is getting frightening?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31672691

People get stabbed in London all the time.

It's all to do with it being a cosmopolitan, tolerant and vibrant place to live.

Or so I'm told.
Vorpal

Police appeal - attack on cyclists in Islington

Post by Vorpal »

Appeal: Shocking CCTV released following murder of school boy

CCTV has been released of the horrifying moment when 15-year-old, Alan Cartwright, was stabbed to death as he rode his bike with friends.
Police are asking anyone with information to call the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or via crimestoppers-uk.org.

http://content.met.police.uk/Appeal/CCT ... 7246745782

CCTV footage here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-x0G5pAan0
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The thread that people are scared to contribute to.

RIP Alan Cartwright. Poor kid.
I should coco.
mercalia

Re: Police appeal - attack on cyclists in Islington

Post by mercalia »

that cctv is really shocking - that some one on the pavement could just leap at you and stab you.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

mercalia wrote:London is getting frightening?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31672691

Why is London 'getting' frightening? Is it because the media have chosen to publish what is obviously bad news (they rarely publish good news after all).

Getting implies there has been an increase in this sort of crime - is this the case? I suspect not, it's just another typical 'bad news' report and a predictable response and posting about it just feeds people's fear of crime rather than the facts about crime?

Just a thought.

None the less, a sad loss of life :(
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
AndyBSG

Post by AndyBSG »

That really is a shocking piece of CCTV.

Really makes you wonder about society when someone can just walk out on a busy street and stab a complete stranger in the chest just to steal a bike.

That whole area is rife with street crime of this sort, I personally had a mobile stolen by a cycle past thief just a week before the same happened to a friend and when I reported it to the police it was pretty apparent that street robberies of that sort are a daily occurrence and the Police don't seem to think it a priority to be bothered about doing anything to prevent them.

Seems that the police now have someone in custody but the sad thing is he'll probably end up getting a trifling manslaughter sentence of 10 years and be out in 5 while he's still in his twenties with his entire life ahead of him.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

AndyBSG wrote:Really makes you wonder about society when someone can just walk out on a busy street and stab a complete stranger in the chest just to steal a bike.

By comparison with most large cities, London has a really rather low level of violent crime. And modern cities have low levels of violence in comparison to historic cities, and those were better than primitive rural societies. (See for example "The World until yesterday" by Jared Diamond.) It isn't society you need to wonder about, it is humanity. In many places, especially where we are fortunate to live, society has done a very good job of reducing humanity's tendency to violence.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'm lucky enough to live in a place where crime levels are low, and violent crime almost unknown. It is easy to become complacent when a problem is not on your own doorstep. But while violent crime affects any part of our nation we must all stay focussed on reducing it. No citizen of the UK should fear walking to the corner shop after sunset.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:that cctv is really shocking - that some one on the pavement could just leap at you and stab you.

Yes that's the worry,if someone treats another's life in such a way things are bad.
Though it's worth remembering that it's an isolated incident.
What I do find surprising is that if the attacker wanted the lad's bike he could've just knocked him of it and stolen it,as a result,the crime would have been theft,which wouldn't have attracted much attention from the police.
As it is,he's now wanted for murder and no stone will be left unturned to find him,quite apart from his stupidity,he must feel he's immune to prosecution,which for the rest of society is a worry in itself.

I don't want this to detract from the loss of a 15 year old boy who will now never realise his potential,and who's parents will now be devastated for the rest of their lives and,as happens so often in our society,all for one moment's madness.
It's truly,truly,sad and my heart goes out to his family and friends.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

The well established trend now, particularly in parts of the capital, is one of using amounts of violence far in excess of what is needed to actually secure a street robbery-type crime.
I should coco.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Valbrona wrote:The thread that people are scared to contribute to.

RIP Alan Cartwright. Poor kid.

?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Valbrona wrote:The well established trend now, particularly in parts of the capital, is one of using amounts of violence far in excess of what is needed to actually secure a street robbery-type crime.

Strange way to get street cred' :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden