Bike "kill"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
deryck

Bike "kill"

Post by deryck »

On our ride to work, our adventures have led us to a free bunch of bananas, several oranges, one lime, and yes many cans of (empty) Fosters lager. Just wondered if anyone could trump that...?
Audax67

Re: Bike

Post by Audax67 »

In the 80s a friend of mine used to plan his route down the back streets of the big shops and see what kind of rubbish they were putting out. He once scored the British Olympic Ski Team's used skis - top-range Rossignols that had only been used in a few events then been dumped out the back - by Lillywhite's, I think. He did get permission, and they even set them aside so that he could go back and pick them up.

I've never come across anything like that, but I have noticed that after a boar hunt the roadside beer-can coefficient goes up by an order of magnitude. Not reassuring, considering the rifles they use.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Audax67 wrote:...but I have noticed that after a boar hunt the roadside beer-can coefficient goes up by an order of magnitude. Not reassuring, considering the rifles they use.

Did you see Monica Galetti following a boar hunt on 'A Cook Abroad' the other day?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... tis-france

She was clearly disturbed by the proceedings, but I suspect those she was with were on their best behaviour compared to the beer swilling hunters around your way. Guess I am not alone when hearing of the folk from the Jura region, which seems quite non-moderm, thinking 'Jurrasic'. But then, thinking about it, let me go look in Wikipeadia... Ah yes, named after the Jura mountains. Hmmm, so I am not so clever. :oops: (And I still post this, ha).
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Don't get the Beeb here, alas, but I've seen (and smelt) the result of a boar hunt. Hunters obligingly gutted a boar about 20 ft from an MTB control I once stopped at.

The beasts have reached pest status here, and hunting is now permitted all year round. Rather disquieting when you're riding tranquilly down a country road and you see the "Chasse" warning signs out: even more so when a troop of 20+ crosses the road like an express train 30 yards ahead.

Nice cycling in the Jura.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

In London streets I prefer to look out for discarded small change money on the road. Oxford st a good place where peole drop £1 coins.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I know a chap(fellow cyclist)who regularly picks up dead pheasants and rabbits,he claims if they're fresh kill no worries. :)

I know some of the nicest apple pear and damson trees in Cheshire and Lancashire :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Re: Bike "kill"

Post by Paulatic »

Passed a full honeydew melon on the roadside today. I don't eat melon by choice.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Nearly taken off the bike by a roll of insulation when it fell out the van in front. Was trying to figure out how to fit it on the bike but was beaten to it by the van driver behind.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bogmyrtle wrote:Nearly taken off the bike by a roll of insulation when it fell out the van in front. Was trying to figure out how to fit it on the bike but was beaten to it by the van driver behind.

That reminds me,as I was once waiting to join a r/about a van passed by on the r/about,I noticed that his side door was open and four fire extinguishers flew out of it,missing me by about 6ft :shock:
W H Auden
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I nearly had venison on Tuesday night, got to within 10m before i saw them and they saw me - the stag was as frightened as i tried not to be confronted by a pretty impressive rack! :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

A full set of 'Snap-on' ball ended Allen keys, been very useful. Being on a recumbent means you can sometimes pick things up without even stopping
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Audax67 wrote:...
The beasts have reached pest status here, and hunting is now permitted all year round. Rather disquieting when you're riding tranquilly down a country road and you see the "Chasse" warning signs out: even more so when a troop of 20+ crosses the road like an express train 30 yards ahead.

<offtopic>
When I lived in France local hunt asked if they could hunt on my land (they needed a formal contract, etc.). I agreed (with constraints). Then they would periodically turn-up at my front door offering me various dead animals (they had shot) for me to cook. But as I am useless when it comes to cooking, I always politely declined. Once they brought round a massive lump (2Kg'ish) of wild boar pate they had made ... and it was really good.

Whilst I disapprove of hunting in the UK, in France it seemed very different and my objections did not apply. And they were a good crowd as well. Leader of the local hunt once took me round all their "installations" (basically where they feed the wildlife, maintain the countryside, etc.) which was interesting (and took most of the day). And they used to come round and catch the Ragondin (which were pests) and they only got the €1 per animal the commune paid them.
</offtopic>
Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:I nearly had venison on Tuesday night, got to within 10m before i saw them and they saw me - the stag was as frightened as i tried not to be confronted by a pretty impressive rack! :wink:

I'm reminded(again)of riding a small lane just north of Kirkby Lonsdale on the tandem when two Red Deer bounded over a wall on the nearside of the road,about 20m in front of us.
We were climbing slowly at the time,and on seeing us they bounded over the wall on right,which they seemed to do in one movement :shock: .
I don't know who was more startled them or us! but we both agreed we were glad we weren't 20m further up the road or they'd have been on top of us :shock:
W H Auden
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Picked up a 3ft live snake in Matlock Bath (Derbys) once and placed it off the road into someone's garden thinking 'that was big for a grass snake, and come to think of it it didn't look very grass snake-like'. Rode home thinking 'maybe it was actually something like a black mamba that had escaped from someone's home'.
I should coco.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lots of fruit trees by the road: apples, plums, cherries
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies