Where to cycle on semi-narrow lanes?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
danhopgood

Re: Where to cycle on semi-narrow lanes?

Post by danhopgood »

I got caught the other morning on the tandem, with a long, straight, uphill, into wind approach to my son's school, where we have to turn right. Continuous parked cars both sides. Just room for two cars to pass at slow speed. Normally there's not a lot of traffic and we just keep a safe distance from doors, which means there's no issue with cars overtaking as long as there's nothing coming the other way.

That morning though someone stayed behind me unnecessarily for a long time, allowing other traffic to build up behind. When the lead car did overtake, those behind followed, with speeds increasing. I was near the right turn by this point but felt I shouldn't stop out in the road as I might get hit from behind, so waited for a gap, signalled right and went into primary. This resulted in an angry hoot - and I was a lot more worried I'd be hit.

Only thing I can think of to do in future would be to pull into any small gaps in cars and let the traffic past, but that in itself could be dodgy with cars behind. Any other ideas for the future in that situation?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You did the right thing - the hoot is a good sign, it means they've seen and acknowledged your presence.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

danhopgood wrote:I got caught the other morning on the tandem, with a long, straight, uphill, into wind approach to my son's school, where we have to turn right. Continuous parked cars both sides. Just room for two cars to pass at slow speed. Normally there's not a lot of traffic and we just keep a safe distance from doors, which means there's no issue with cars overtaking as long as there's nothing coming the other way.

That morning though someone stayed behind me unnecessarily for a long time, allowing other traffic to build up behind. When the lead car did overtake, those behind followed, with speeds increasing. I was near the right turn by this point but felt I shouldn't stop out in the road as I might get hit from behind, so waited for a gap, signalled right and went into primary. This resulted in an angry hoot - and I was a lot more worried I'd be hit.

Only thing I can think of to do in future would be to pull into any small gaps in cars and let the traffic past, but that in itself could be dodgy with cars behind. Any other ideas for the future in that situation?

It sounds okay to me. Do the 'lifesaver' (check again over your right shoulder) just before turning to ensure that angry hoot driver hasn't become impatient, endangering driver. I also sometimes have my kids turn at look at drivers behind us and signal for us. It works a treat, as they can turn around more easily. They are good about warning about cars behind, too, though if it is important, I always check for myself. With a child looking back, I seem to get less impatient treatment, the kids feel like they are helping, and it's good training for them for cycling independently. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

Good idea re. child helping. He's still in a childseat on the tandem at the moment so could help. He seems to just go to into zombie mode after about 1/2 a mile on the bike - maybe because I don't get him involved. Main reason I don't is that I struggle to hear him. I did toy with getting a motorcycle comms system rigged up - but dismissed the idea as too wacky.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not whacky at all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I have used (or repeatedly tried to use) old motorcycle intercoms, does anybody remember the "Oxford bike Intercom.

Nowadays there is cheap and cheerful bluetooth which I reckon could be used for the job possibly off the shelf and cheaper than the old motorcycle stuff.
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

Bluetooth intercom ordered: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/92822
More than I wanted to spend and it'll need modding for cycle use, but if it works, hopefully it's worth it. Main worry is puffing noise - will have to keep moving the mic me thinks.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

danhopgood wrote:That morning though someone stayed behind me unnecessarily for a long time, allowing other traffic to build up behind. When the lead car did overtake, those behind followed, with speeds increasing.

Some problems are caused by over-aggressive drivers, but this situation can be very irritating/potentially dangerous too, where the driver is over-cautious and unwilling just to shift down and get past perfectly safely, and thereby frustrates others behind them.

Normally if someone has followed me patiently for a while and there is no safe overtaking opportunity, I will make an effort to let them pass by moving leftwards where there is a convenient entrance or similar, and waving them through. But the over-cautious driver will sometimes still hang back unless I actually stop, and I don't really see why I should inconvenience myself by doing so, just because they can't or won't control their car properly.
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

danhopgood wrote:Bluetooth intercom ordered: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/92822
More than I wanted to spend and it'll need modding for cycle use, but if it works, hopefully it's worth it. Main worry is puffing noise - will have to keep moving the mic me thinks.

Been using the intercom for nearly two weeks now - very pleased with it. Lad on the back is now chatty the whole journey and is signalling with me and generally taking a lot more interest in what's going on. Noise cancelling seems to take away the puffs so no need to move mic's. Glad I spent the money on good kit - it only hurts once as the old saying goes. I can tell it is going to be durable, plus it works so well and is no hassle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm pleased that's working for you. It makes me tempted to try headsets.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

nosmarbaj wrote:
danhopgood wrote:That morning though someone stayed behind me unnecessarily for a long time, allowing other traffic to build up behind. When the lead car did overtake, those behind followed, with speeds increasing.

Some problems are caused by over-aggressive drivers, but this situation can be very irritating/potentially dangerous too, where the driver is over-cautious and unwilling just to shift down and get past perfectly safely, and thereby frustrates others behind them.

Normally if someone has followed me patiently for a while and there is no safe overtaking opportunity, I will make an effort to let them pass by moving leftwards where there is a convenient entrance or similar, and waving them through. But the over-cautious driver will sometimes still hang back unless I actually stop, and I don't really see why I should inconvenience myself by doing so, just because they can't or won't control their car properly.

Or perhaps because they choose to obey the Highway Code and have no idea how badly maintained your spokes are (so will ensure you have enough space to fall safely whilst they overtake). IME when I wait and overtake a cyclist correctly, the following cars (when I have chance to watch in my mirrors) also overtake correctly. When cycling I frequently find that a patient wait and a good overtake encourages the followers to do likewise; it is the unthinking driver who assumes they can maintain pace and line that I have found most dangerous.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I often find that if there is physical space a driver will use it! I've been in situations where I've used the dead middle of the tarmac and they've still gone around me with two wheels into the verge; despite me pointing at the passing place I would reach in 15 seconds time.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

AlaninWales wrote:Or perhaps because they choose to obey the Highway Code and have no idea how badly maintained your spokes are (so will ensure you have enough space to fall safely whilst they overtake). IME when I wait and overtake a cyclist correctly, the following cars (when I have chance to watch in my mirrors) also overtake correctly. When cycling I frequently find that a patient wait and a good overtake encourages the followers to do likewise; it is the unthinking driver who assumes they can maintain pace and line that I have found most dangerous.

I did not say the unthinking driver was not dangerous. What I did say was it can also be (somewhat) dangerous if someone does not pass when safe and thus frustrates following drivers. "Safe" implies leaving enough space and generally following the Highway Code. I have certainly experienced aggressive driving and close passes when cycling, after having had someone being over-reluctant to pass. It's not a major problem but IME it does happen. YMMV.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

You might describe me as over relucatant to pass; my passing threshold is certainly higher than most other drivers.
But I go by this-
Can I see clearly that there is room to pass at this speed before anything comes the other way?(I don't take any chances with this one).
Is there enough space to pass if the cyclist needs to move out due to a bad road surface, or for any other reason?

If in doubt, I wait. I think it would be wrong to allow myself to be influenced in either decision by the possibility that a driver behind me might behave better if I behaved worse. My first duty is not to do anything that I consider to be unsafe, or take a decision which places someone else at risk because of my direct actions.

If I felt it was safe to overtake, but I simply didn't want to, then I would look for somewhere to pull over and let following traffic pass me, just as I would do if I wanted to drive at significantly below a speed limit when there was no safety reason involved.