Where to cycle on semi-narrow lanes?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
aspiringcyclist

Where to cycle on semi-narrow lanes?

Post by aspiringcyclist »

Obivously on a narrow lane you should cycle in the centre. Wide lanes allow you to cycle 1 m from the kerb and still be overtaken with sufficient distance. The problem is when the lane width is between this. In that case, you can still cycle 1m from the kerb and be overtaken with a 1m gap ( just about), but it doesn't feel very pleasant. I'm not really sure what do.

A related problem is wide lanes with parked cars. In that case, cycling only away from the car door leaves you vulnerable to a close overtake.
Paulatic

Re: Where to cycle on semi-narrow lanes?

Post by Paulatic »

On the size of lane you describe I'd be out in the road so they think they can't get passed. Once I hear them slow down I move to the left and let them past. If there is nothing coming the other way of course.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Paulatic wrote:On the size of lane you describe I'd be out in the road so they think they can't get passed. Once I hear them slow down I move to the left and let them past. If there is nothing coming the other way of course.

+1. A strong primary position forces drivers to use the other side of the road to overtake and only if that lane is clear.

Just to add, as the OP is based in London, that in urban areas it's often tricky to pull in due to constant parked cars and traffic. I always look for an opportunity to be courteous but find I also have to be quite assertive – I'll use eye contact and primary position until there is a a decent sized gap without parked cars where I will pull over and slow down, but still keep a car's width from the kerb. That way I can move back into the traffic flow when more parked cars block my way.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My local lanes you should not normally cycle in primary (or maybe it's "would not") - mainly because they are only single track and the middle/primary tends to have grass growing or loads of stones/gravel/sand. Only place to cycle is (what I maybe incorrectly call) secondary i.e. in the vehicle wheel tracks which is the only bit with a real "road surface).

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pot holes are that bad in our region the grassy centre is an attractive route [emoji3]

E2E info
Si

Post by Si »

I think that there may be some confusion here as to what was meant by 'lane' in the OP.

Are we using the term 'lane' to mean your half of the road, or to mean the total width of a narrow country road?

Obviously the approach is different as with the former the overtaking car has an extra 'lane' to move into to get past (assuming nothing coming the other way, etc), but in the latter it might well be a case of waiting for a passing point or voluntarily jumping into the hedge to let the following car past.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The OP describes a road approx 3.5 metres is how I took it.

E2E info
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I came to the conclusion the OP was talking about urban traffic lanes not country lanes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If there isn't room to share comfortably at more than 20 or 30 mph, take the lane in a position where a car or larger motor vehicle cannot pass, or must use the next lane to pass. When the driver has slowed the vehicle, or stopped to wait for you, if it is safe to do so, move over and let them past. If it isn't safe, stick to the position until it is safe.

Parked cars can be useful, as they slow other traffic. Ride out, at least 'the width of a door and a little bit more', or take the lane. If it's parked up to become sinlge lane, ride right down the middle, as if you were driving a car.

However... don't play chicken. If a driver is behaving in an intimidating way, it may be wise to get out of the way. Similarly, if the vehicle comes too close without slowing, dive for cover. I've not had that sort of thing happen often; only once or twice that I can recall, but be wary for it.

If the road is winding, you may want to change position to improve your visibility round the bend. That means both your ability to see, and others' ability to see you.

p.s. ask for a copy of Cyclecraft for your next birthday
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Many lanes are roughly twice the width of a typical car, so cycling in primary position leaves an angry motorist room to push past on either side, just as long as they aren't bothered about leaving more than 3" of clearance.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mjr

Post by mjr »

...or they're happy to mount the footway to get past. The number of tyre tracks swooshing up and back down along the A10 means either there's a lot of people who do that each day, or there's a lot drunk/wobbly drivers swerving around and unable to stay on the carriageway. I'm not sure which is the scarier thought.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

axel_knutt wrote:Many lanes are roughly twice the width of a typical car, so cycling in primary position leaves an angry motorist room to push past on either side, just as long as they aren't bothered about leaving more than 3" of clearance.

If there's twice a car's width, secondary is probably safe, as there's room to share.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Control the situation. Stay out far enough to prevent overtaking when it's not safe, allow approaching vehicles to slow right down, then move left (when there is a good spot) as far as you can without risking dropping off the edge of the good surface, and allow them to pass. The aim is to get them to pass at a speed you feel comfortable with. Works for me.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

axel_knutt wrote:Many lanes are roughly twice the width of a typical car, so cycling in primary position leaves an angry motorist room to push past on either side, just as long as they aren't bothered about leaving more than 3" of clearance.

If there is room for a car to pass on either side then that is not a a semi-narrow lane it is a wide lane. Riding in the middle is not taking primary it is being needlesly obstructive.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A lane wide enough for two cars is wide enough for safe overtaking when a cyclist takes a default position suitably far from the gutter.

The issue is a lane about 1.5 car widths, where there is kind of enough space to put a stationary car and a pedal cycle, but certainly isn't enough room when the car is moving (a moving cyclist takes much less energy into any situation, and is therefore able to pass said stationary car safely).

At that point the primary position is required to prevent unsafe overtaking, and some motorists will decide that you are being needlessly obstructive. It is the oncoming traffic which is blocking their arrival at the next traffic jam, not the cyclist.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.