Cyclists are treated as if they are staionary.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
SpinyNorman

Re: Cyclists are treated as if they are staionary.

Post by SpinyNorman »

reohn2 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:*wait*, why would I wait - I want to be in that traffic jam I can see ahead *now*

Correct,I'm constantly overtaken when in primary and within 50m of a twenty+ car jam is countless,one particular jam,where the overtaker knows 100% it'll be at least three TL sequences before they'll get a even a sniff of getting through,yet persistently feel the need to ''get ahead'' only for me to overtake them again within 2 seconds :?

If you were to explain it in any other non motoring situation,people would describe it as mad or stupid,yet the problem persists :? .

Yep, had exactly that happen to me the day before yesterday. Heading towards a stationary queue for a mini roundabout riding in primary. Woman in people carrier pulls alongside me. No way that she was going to get back in before the queue. If she had she'd have hand to slam on the brakes & I'd have probably been in her boot.

Fortunately, my incredulous look and loud "excuse me!" dissuaded her (I think).
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

[quote I had that doing slightly more than the 20mph residential speed limit - car slowly squeezed past even though not really all that much room. I was on a 1000cc motorcycle/quote]

Yes but how often does a car get to pass a motorbike
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Well, back in my m'biking days, on a 500cc Italian machine, approaching a red light in the middle of my lane and timing my arrival with the anticipated change to green. Cars were unable to overtake on the right because of oncoming from another branch of the junction; so the car behind mounted the pavement and tore past on my left, to screech the brakes (and tyres) at the red light. I moved offside as the lights changed and accelerated away.

I don't think the proportion of bad drivers is getting any worse but the number of drivers is increasing so the umber of similar incidents will increase.
mjr

Post by mjr »

AlaninWales wrote:I don't think the proportion of bad drivers is getting any worse but the number of drivers is increasing so the umber of similar incidents will increase.

How does that work when traffic levels have been falling? (Disclaimer: I've not checked the very latest data.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Since when? My m'cycling days were last century.
mjr

Post by mjr »

OK, I see, you meant "have increased".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Yeah, I guess ... I'm still alive though and see them as increasing over m lifetime :wink: . Maybe I'll live to see them actually decreasing to levels below those when I grew up? :D
Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

Im getting very tempted to attach a very flexible pole a few inches short of an acceptable overtaking distance to the back of my bike. And then I'll attach a paint brush to it that's been freshly dipped in red paint.
Alternatively the cops could send a few riders out with go pros, and prosecute drivers for dangerous driving. Give the drivers points or a bicycle awareness course and the problem would reduce quite quickly.
beardy

Post by beardy »

They might do that if a hundred cyclists' lives were more important than not offending bad drivers.

As most drivers are bad at some time or other, the not offending bad drivers remains more important than a hundred cyclists' lives.

So dont expect any Gopro related prosecutions in your local area (or mine) in the near (or medium) future.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anyone see mounted bobbies in their neck of the woods? I've started to see a few police on bikes round here. They do look funny but I do wonder if any of them stop or have stopped cars who drive dangerously around them? I think I have seen a camera on them and they are certainly well kitted up with hi-viz and helmets so no driver get out clauses with them.

PS - Off topic but does anyone know what bikes cycle cops use in the UK? Do they buy standard MTBs and get someone to convert them or is there a bike maker out there doing customs for them? They do look slow and heavy bikes. Not good to catch a scumbag on a normal bike I think. Unless they are really fit. Someone on a forum once said he used to get blitzed on a local hill by the local postie on a RM post bike despite being a competitive cyclist themselves. Turns out that postie could have been a this guy who competes at a high level as well as having a day job as a postie so it was not that embarrassing.

Back on topic - misjudging speed of cyclists is something I have done too. It is easy to misjudge speed at times IME. However when it happens to you then the view is always changed to why did he/she not realize my speed? If you follow what I am saying. Basically when it happens to you as a cyclist you forget when your misjudgment in a car has been the same as the offender against you. We all make nistakes afterall.

The exception to that is the number 5 bus near me. That bus that approached the entrance to the mini roundabout near me at about 8:30 each weekday morning when I was there did the same every time until I had to change my leaving time to get past there about 10 minutes earlier to be sure of missing him. If someone repeats the same offence to you at the same place and same time of the day then that person has no excuses. Seriously I do not want to have to shoulder barge a bus away again. I never managed it back then and I never will. (Although my temper was probably sufficient to turn big and green so in a comic world I might of managed it!! :D ).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:Anyone see mounted bobbies in their neck of the woods? I've started to see a few police on bikes round here. They do look funny but I do wonder if any of them stop or have stopped cars who drive dangerously around them? I think I have seen a camera on them and they are certainly well kitted up with hi-viz and helmets so no driver get out clauses with them.

I've only seen PCSOs on bikes. I stopped to chat to one and they are decently kitted-out. And she was watching the traffic as at one point she saw a car of interest and broke-off chatting while she radioed something in.

Ian
beardy

Post by beardy »

and they are decently kitted-out

Though not with BS lights. I guess they get the bikes safely back before dark. :lol:

I have seen some on Smith and Wesson branded bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:...I think I have seen a camera on them and they are certainly well kitted up with hi-viz and helmets so no driver get out clauses with them.

I've only seen PCSOs on bikes. I stopped to chat to one and they are decently kitted-out. And she was watching the traffic as at one point she saw a car of interest and broke-off chatting while she radioed something in.

I've been told by someone who should know that there are police officers on bikes in Norfolk too, but some are plain clothes. The uniformed ones do wear white hard hats but no more hi-viz than usual otherwise. Their lights conform to no standards.

There is also a cycle racing club for the Norfolk Police called Peelers CC. Their current strip? All black with a thin band of black/white Sillitoe Tartan. I guess they don't believe in the dayglo legend, then!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Tangled Metal wrote:Anyone see mounted bobbies in their neck of the woods? I've started to see a few police on bikes round here. They do look funny but I do wonder if any of them stop or have stopped cars who drive dangerously around them? I think I have seen a camera on them and they are certainly well kitted up with hi-viz and helmets so no driver get out clauses with them.

PS - Off topic but does anyone know what bikes cycle cops use in the UK? Do they buy standard MTBs and get someone to convert them or is there a bike maker out there doing customs for them? They do look slow and heavy bikes. Not good to catch a scumbag on a normal bike I think. Unless they are really fit. Someone on a forum once said he used to get blitzed on a local hill by the local postie on a RM post bike despite being a competitive cyclist themselves. Turns out that postie could have been a this guy who competes at a high level as well as having a day job as a postie so it was not that embarrassing.

Back on topic - misjudging speed of cyclists is something I have done too. It is easy to misjudge speed at times IME. However when it happens to you then the view is always changed to why did he/she not realize my speed? If you follow what I am saying. Basically when it happens to you as a cyclist you forget when your misjudgment in a car has been the same as the offender against you. We all make nistakes afterall.

The exception to that is the number 5 bus near me. That bus that approached the entrance to the mini roundabout near me at about 8:30 each weekday morning when I was there did the same every time until I had to change my leaving time to get past there about 10 minutes earlier to be sure of missing him. If someone repeats the same offence to you at the same place and same time of the day then that person has no excuses. Seriously I do not want to have to shoulder barge a bus away again. I never managed it back then and I never will. (Although my temper was probably sufficient to turn big and green so in a comic world I might of managed it!! :D ).

As a driver, if I want to judge the speed of a cyclist because I am planning to overtake, I stay safely well behind them and then take a quick peek at my speedometer.....and then allow for the terrain (they may speed up/slow down sharpish if there is a steep slope coming up).
I suspect some drivers never actually look at their speedometers, they just drive at whatever speed seems right to them. Regardless of speed limits most of the time. :roll:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Some drivers. Some cyclists. Just remember that it is usually the minority that are prats on both transport methods not the majority. just get on with your life and do what you can to stay safe when you inevitably meet the idiot user of bike or car. Enjoy the 99% of the time you are out on your bike (may not apply to big city riders of course but then your fault for living in such an area :evil: )