Question About cycle Lane Signs/Use Mandatory/Advisory

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
beardy

Re: Question About cycle Lane Signs/Use Mandatory/Advisory

Post by beardy »

The right to walk and cycle across the Severn Bridge was created in exactly that way.

There is a motorway going over the Severn Crossing, we are not allowed to cycle on it.
There is also a cycle track on the same bridge structure but it is separate from the motorway.

If historically, before it was a motorway, cyclists were allowed to use the carriageway they lost that right a long time ago.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Oh Gaz, after I'd gone through the trouble of emphasising all my other "shoulds"... :wink:

Of course you are right. Short of going through the London Gazette archives looking for orders it's all we can do to keep our eyes out for signs. I don't think they'd be able to enforce a prohibition that hadn't been signed.
Last edited by Bicycler on 27 Feb 2015, 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

beardy wrote:
The right to walk and cycle across the Severn Bridge was created in exactly that way.

There is a motorway going over the Severn Crossing, we are not allowed to cycle on it.
There is also a cycle track on the same bridge structure but it is separate from the motorway.

If historically, before it was a motorway, cyclists were allowed to use the carriageway they lost that right a long time ago.

Oh dear, I am sorry for raising that tangent; it was just a bit of trivia, of no real importance. The Severn Bridge carriageway has always been a motorway. All I was saying was that the right of passage for cyclists and pedestrians on the adjacent path was created under the special roads act. It does illustrate that 'special road' does not necessarily mean 'motorway' or require the prohibition of cycles. It would be perfectly possible for example to specify a special road that prohibited motors but allowed bicycles, pedestrians and animals.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bicycler wrote:Oh Gaz, after I'd gone through the trouble of emphasising all my other "shoulds"... :wink:

Sorry :oops: , personal bugbear of mine is the A282 on which cycling is prohibited. The prohibition used to be signed on all of the various approaches but in recent years the HA have been getting lazy.

Having "cycle-proofed" the A2 at it's junctions with the A228 to the extent that you won't find a live cyclist on it, the HA no longer feel it necessary to sign the prohibition :roll: . Most people think of the A282 as being the M25.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade