Telford Town Centre Revamp

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Thomas125

Telford Town Centre Revamp

Post by Thomas125 »

Telford town centre is coming the end of a multi million upgrade to its ring road around the town centre.

As part if this they've put it very wide mixed cycle pedestrian paths and its a whole lot easier and safer to get around the town now.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-24182961
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

"Life is one long bike ride" :-)
gaz

Re: Telford Town Centre Revamp

Post by gaz »

In the artist impression there will only be two cars on the ring road, truly a Utopia.

Is the job of art to portray beauty or to hold up a mirror to life? Discuss. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

No cyclists on the road i see, so a fairly good artist impression :mrgreen:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

How is the cycle route from Telford to Newport going? They seemed to be working on it when I went past recently. With the link from Newport to Stafford now (apparently) complete, it could be a nice run.
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

That one I'm not sure of. I work in Donnington but live out the opposite side of Telford to Newport.

Going through Telford on the way to Lawley tomorrow, will take a few pics for anyone who's interested. :mrgreen:
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

BShingler

Post by BShingler »

I believe that the link from Telford all the way to Stafford won't be completed because they've run out of money, a pity as I was looking forward to trying it. You have to use the A518 from Telford to just short of Newport and then join the new cycle path
bikersalive

Post by bikersalive »

Telford is still an awful place to get about by cycle. Cycle-ways that are not continuous mean lots of road use and criss-crossing to complete a route. Very poor surfaces are common and many of the Town Park paths are a mess, literally, considering the amount spent on supposed improvements. Negotiating some of the paths through housing areas is hazardous too, with rubbish (boxes, old furniture and syringes etc.) common place. Don't try cycling to any of the supermarkets either, the routes are so torturous it's quicker to walk.

Fortunately, the Newport to Stafford cycle-way (former railway line) is now complete and the surface throughout the 15 miles is easy for most types of bike.
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Try Shifnal and Priorslee end if you think Telfords bad. The M54 roundabout is apalling.

Lots of road crossing but at the town centre is better to get around.

I usually cycle to Aldi or Asda round here. Not too bad. :D
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg

Flinders

Post by Flinders »

bikersalive wrote:Telford is still an awful place to get about by cycle. Cycle-ways that are not continuous mean lots of road use and criss-crossing to complete a route. Very poor surfaces are common and many of the Town Park paths are a mess, literally, considering the amount spent on supposed improvements. Negotiating some of the paths through housing areas is hazardous too, with rubbish (boxes, old furniture and syringes etc.) common place. Don't try cycling to any of the supermarkets either, the routes are so torturous it's quicker to walk.

Fortunately, the Newport to Stafford cycle-way (former railway line) is now complete and the surface throughout the 15 miles is easy for most types of bike.

Thanks for all the info, all of you.

The Newport-Stafford route is not great in some places. Between Derrington and Stafford is like riding on ballast, unpleasant on the hands if you have a road bike as I do, though do-able. There's a bad cattle crossing (often muddy) between Gnosall and Haughton. None of the route is tarmac, which I think it ought all to be if they seriously want people to commute on it (as they claim they do). Around Gnosall inconsiderate horse riders have damaged the clay-like surface in places (this occurred almost as soon as that section was laid).
The drainage is poor in some of the older parts, i.e. mostly closer to the Stafford end, though I've never yet found it to be impassable on a road bike. Access at Gnosall is steep and awkward where you have to come off the path, drop to road level, cross the road (at lights, which is good) and then get back up to track level again. There aren't maps showing where you are at access points, so you have to count bridges if you're not local and are navigating to interim roads or locations; it's easy to count wrong and end up on the wrong minor side road; be warned, signposts on rural roads here are often non-existent.
The new bit at the Newport end I hope to try next week, will report then if I do; not sure how it crosses the A41, which is a nasty road; hopefully it goes under it.

There is a good route the other side of Stafford, clay across Doxey Marshes, which is a nature reserve so that's fair enough, otherwise tarmac, going out to the ring road towards the Sandon road, but it floods under the Eccleshall Road Bridge in very wet weather and can be impassable there.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Does this revamp mean that Telford has got rid of all those subways that stink of urine?
I should coco.
Thomas125

Post by Thomas125 »

Which ones do you mean?

I don't come across any on my usual run out to Lawley.
Was 93.4kg now 78.3kg

Next target 74.0kg