Another cyclist death: left-turning lorry

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

Re: Another cyclist death: left-turning lorry

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:IMO that's a perfectly reasonable rule/law to implement which should also be followed up with a public information schedule,including TV,radio,billboard and any other media available used to reinforce and drive home the message.

You'd struggle these days to reach everyone. It's not like the old days when pretty much everyone sat in front of one of the 3 tv channels on an evening. I can go weeks without watching TV or listening to the Radio. I don't see any billboards and I tend not to watch anything containing ad's and use ad blockers on my computers. In short it'd be too expensive.

Out of interest, just how many deaths are actually due to cyclists riding up the inside of lorries?
How many are due to lorries overtaking cyclists and then turning left? (Certainly I know of more of these than the first).

What would concern me is survivors justice. "Sorry m'lud but they must have cycled up the inside of my lorry, as a professional driver with 40 years blemish free driving..." yada yada.

In short I think that even if you spent a small fortune I'd put money on it you'd barely dent the KSI's. OTOH it's not beyond the wit of man to make sure lorries are safer both by design and in the way their operated. I'm more than a little suspicious that all these deaths involve tippers - a truck type amazingly over-represented and which IME are frequently driven so badly as to be criminal (Grundy's Skip Hire of Widnes - I'm looking at you).

I've no issue with education (or attempts thereof) but it should be done hand in hand with other things because otherwise I reckon it's a waste of time.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

pwa wrote:Alan (in Wales?)

How would you suggest we improve matters in the nineteenth century roads of Pontycymmer, where the roads are fairly narrow, cars have to park on the street, delivery vehicles have to use the same roads as cyclists and pedestrians. There is a very nice cycle track, but people have to walk or cycle down the streets to get to it. Do you want to go up there and tell people that they cannot have cars any more? Do you suggest deliveries to shops are forbidden, or can only happen after midnight? I'm not sure how you would change things for the better in the real world outside London. We don't start with a clean slate. We start with what we have.

TBH since moving here that's something I have wondered about, especially since an acquaintance tried to take up cycling for fitness, but within weeks was scared off the road by a truck driver (friend of hers!) overtaking too close and dangerously.
OTOH of course, there are far more (orders of magnitude more) people affected in urban areas than in the villages.
Finally, what you are attempting in this post is another logical fallacy: That which argues that if a problem cannot be easily resolved in one set of circumstances, then it is not worth resolving it anywhere.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Alan

I don't think we shouldn't try to fix things in one place because we cannot do it everywhere. That was not a point I was making. But I do think that much of built-up Britain was, from a modern perspective, badly designed. But we have to carry on using tight streets that have little or no scope for improvement. New stuff is different. We have a right to expect new stuff to be good.

Where we have to live with old infrastructure we can only protect each other by having agreed rules about how we move around, and sticking to them.
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:The majority of the focus should be to the front but the driver should keep checking around the vehicle, like the Highway Code says (rule 161 "All mirrors should be used effectively throughout your journey. You should use your mirrors frequently so that you always know what is behind and to each side of you..." mainly but also 160 and 211).

It's not all or nothing, all one person's fault or the other. Why is this so hard for some people to accept?

And if the driver's attention is taken by frontal activity what then?
Should s/he stop until all activity has ceased?
If you drive you'll know that it isn't so simple

I do drive and it's not ever so simple, but it's not that hard. I have slowed or stopped countless times when the level of activity around the vehicle means that it's a good idea to do so, to allow myself time to react to the events if needed and reduce the severity of any collision if I get it wrong. That does mean I've stopped sometimes when I theoretically had priority, including when pedestrians have abruptly stepped out in front of me (and I think he was drunk, although that wasn't obvious before I stopped).
That's why it's not so hard for some of us to understand that riding up the inside of left turning HGV's is a complete folly,which people mindful of their welbeing don't do!

No, people shouldn't do it, but they do, so the driver should watch out for it.
By that logic, once the driver's satisfied him/herself there's nothing in front, surely she/he can close his eyes until the manoeuvre is completed? :roll:

Please stop being deliberately obtuse and silly in you response to a perfect logical progression of events.

The logic isn't perfect which is why it breaks down when we continue it!
Boot on the other foot,do you when manoeuvring either as a pedestrian,cyclist or driver after satisfying yourself that a manoeuvre is safe to continue with then continue?

Only until such point that I consider it safe to continue - if my ongoing observation makes me think it is no longer safe to continue, then I stop - don't you?
......In other words: a driver can't be both as diligent and careful as the Highway Code and run over a pedestrian unless something pretty freaky happens.

Like riding up the inside of their HGV whilst the vehicle is signalling and turning left perhaps?

No, that's not freaky - that's even in the Highway Code! pwa's example of a dog running out from between parked cars is closer but I really mean completely freak incidents like something unseen propelling a pedestrian from the footway into the middle of the carriageway without prior warning.
reohn2 wrote:
beardy wrote:.......I thought XAPBob's post above sums it up very well, though I would offer another option. A complete ban on cyclists (or anybody else) filtering on the inside of HGVs and possibly every other motorised vehicle. If the public were capable of dealing with it, this could have the exception for marked mandatory cycle lanes of a significant width, like in some other countries but I dont think our drivers could cope with it.

IMO that's a perfectly reasonable rule/law to implement which should also be followed up with a public information schedule,including TV,radio,billboard and any other media available used to reinforce and drive home the message.

By outlawing all the marked cycle lanes on the left of left turns, any UK government would essentially be calling all their party colleagues in charge of highway authorities incompetent. Seeing as they don't even have the backbone for changes like presumed liability which shouldn't call many other politicians into question, I don't think this law's going to happen soon. Could you stick to more realistic measures like improving junction layouts?
pwa wrote:How would you suggest we improve matters in the nineteenth century roads of Pontycymmer, where the roads are fairly narrow, cars have to park on the street, delivery vehicles have to use the same roads as cyclists and pedestrians.

Do they really need to share as much as they do? http://osm.org/go/euM_GXmw--?layers=C and similar on Google Streetview looks like a typical layout of parallel mostly-terraced streets, so for much of it, alternating streets could be made access-only for motor traffic and cycles and pedestrians encouraged to use them and the valley cycle route (rather than the current approach of detours and barriers you need to overcome to use it AFAICT). I accept sometimes the choice will become between riding up/down hill and a busier road, but you can't really ride that area without some hills anyway. That's what I've seen done in towns and villages elsewhere in Europe. It can be fairly cheap at first, with different road surfaces applied to the access-only streets when they'd be resurfaced anyway - the main thing it needs is political will.
There is a very nice cycle track, but people have to walk or cycle down the streets to get to it. Do you want to go up there and tell people that they cannot have cars any more? Do you suggest deliveries to shops are forbidden, or can only happen after midnight? I'm not sure how you would change things for the better in the real world outside London. We don't start with a clean slate. We start with what we have.

That's not the problem. Our streets aren't narrower or more complicated than most of Europe. I think the key difference is that we have a confrontational system and many people start with a political can't-do mindset that invents problems (cannot have cars??? :roll:) rather than a can-do one that looks at the benefits (half the streets will get less traffic while the rest will get less turning traffic and safer walking/cycling routes closer to them).

The tools will be different. The underlying problem (political will) is the same.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mjr

It's not your fault, as it's not clear from Google, but Pontycymmer is in a very steep sided valley, and turning off the main street involves a very steep sudden climb in most cases. Almost all the streets have characterful terraces of stone houses. Separation of use is not something I can imagine in that situation.
beardy

Post by beardy »

By outlawing all the marked cycle lanes on the left of left turns, any UK government would essentially be calling all their party colleagues in charge of highway authorities incompetent. Seeing as they don't even have the backbone for changes like presumed liability which shouldn't call many other politicians into question, I don't think this law's going to happen soon. Could you stick to more realistic measures like improving junction layouts?

No, I will not.

Just because they may not want to deliver it, doesnt mean that we are not going to self-censor it from our lists. same goes for presumed liability, we are not going to say "The Daily Mail doesnt like it, so thats the end of that".

If I have to settle for peanuts like "improved" junction layouts, that will not stop me suggesting what we really should be getting. Not that I am particularly in favour of an inside filtering ban but it is an option and I also think it is a more viable and possible option than you do, there is quite widespread support for restricting cyclists' activities.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:It's not your fault, as it's not clear from Google, but Pontycymmer is in a very steep sided valley, and turning off the main street involves a very steep sudden climb in most cases. Almost all the streets have characterful terraces of stone houses. Separation of use is not something I can imagine in that situation.

I thought it was pretty clear from both the Streetview (you've handrails and other telltales) and the contours on the map I linked. It's not the Italian mountains, though, and they still separate use there.

Otherwise, you get Pontycymmer's current situation of all the characterful streets being blighted by motor traffic and the safest streets for non-motorised users being the least convenient ones at the top and bottom (although cycle collision stats look marginal, with one slight injury at a crossroads on Victoria Street and I'm not aware of the Welsh equivalent of http://road-collisions.dft.gov.uk ).
beardy wrote:
... I don't think this law's going to happen soon. Could you stick to more realistic measures like improving junction layouts?

No, I will not.

Just because they may not want to deliver it, doesnt mean that we are not going to self-censor it from our lists. same goes for presumed liability, we are not going to say "The Daily Mail doesnt like it, so thats the end of that".

If I have to settle for peanuts like "improved" junction layouts, that will not stop me suggesting what we really should be getting. Not that I am particularly in favour of an inside filtering ban but it is an option and I also think it is a more viable and possible option than you do, there is quite widespread support for restricting cyclists' activities.

Firstly, if you can start that ball rolling, where do you think it will it stop? Cycles banned from all rural A roads? B roads too? All routes with lorry signs? All roads where off-road tracks exist, no matter how crap?

Secondly, I wasn't entirely serious and was simply reversing the argument often posted by law-change advocates against infrastructure campaigns, such as viewtopic.php?p=668185#p668185 and many others.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
beardy

Post by beardy »

It is an awful lot of slippery slope between banning a particular manoeuvre which is believed to directly cause regular frequent deaths and denying access to public highways.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MJR
I'm going to pull the plug this,nothing is being advanced by me continuing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote: But I do think that much of built-up Britain was, from a modern perspective, badly designed.

pwa: most of Britain was beautifully designed and we still benefit from it today. The streets were built to a pedestrian scale with delightful buildings on either side, doorways, shops, people, activity. Nothing wrong with built-up Britain.

Modern lorries OTOH are appallingly badly designed. They are far too high and wide for there to be good visibility close to the vehicle and far too large for the streets they apparently want go down. Failure on a large scale.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

beardy wrote:It is an awful lot of slippery slope between banning a particular manoeuvre which is believed to directly cause regular frequent deaths and denying access to public highways.

ITYM contribute to, not "cause". It's also an awful lot of slippery slope from a few protected spaces for cycling to denying access to the carriageway, but many people used that for a long time to justify opposing it.
reohn2 wrote:I'm going to pull the plug this,nothing is being advanced by me continuing.

OK. To be clear, I don't feel the more damaging road user (whether motorist on person, or rider on walker) necessarily carries the most blame but they almost always carry some. It's part of why I'd like to see presumed liability here.
Last edited by mjr on 26 Feb 2015, 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
beardy

Post by beardy »

It's also an awful lot of slippery slope from a few protected spaces for cycling to denying access to the carriageway, but many people used that for a long time to justify opposing it.

That has actually happened and there wasnt much slope between the two. When they want to forbid cyclists from using a road, they have to provide an alternative, sometimes a protected space for cycling filled the bill well enough for them.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:IMO that's a perfectly reasonable rule/law to implement which should also be followed up with a public information schedule,including TV,radio,billboard and any other media available used to reinforce and drive home the message.

You'd struggle these days to reach everyone. It's not like the old days when pretty much everyone sat in front of one of the 3 tv channels on an evening. I can go weeks without watching TV or listening to the Radio. I don't see any billboards and I tend not to watch anything containing ad's and use ad blockers on my computers. In short it'd be too expensive.

Don't watch adverts, don't watch the news, don't watch live TV at all in fact.
Don't read newspapers or the current social media meme.
I'd probably hear about it here, but nowhere else.

And frankly it's only luck that I'm here rather than one of the more US centric forums...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Horizon

whilst I love old buildings and twisty narrow streets as much as the next person, you cannot deny that lots of places where lorries have to deliver to have poor access. I used to drive a minibus a lot, and there were roads I hated driving down, but where there was no alternative. Even small lorries delivering to shop on those roads could struggle to get through. And no amount of pedestrian access would compensate for the shops not getting their deliveries each day. Britain has a lot of infrastructure legacy that we have to live with.
mjr

Post by mjr »

beardy wrote:
It's also an awful lot of slippery slope from a few protected spaces for cycling to denying access to the carriageway, but many people used that for a long time to justify opposing it.

That has actually happened and there wasnt much slope between the two. When they want to forbid cyclists from using a road, they have to provide an alternative, sometimes a protected space for cycling filled the bill well enough for them.

No, surely that's backwards: there's a move to deny access to the carriageway first and then they build a fig-leaf? I know several examples of that and I suspect many of them would still have denied access to the carriageway whether or not the fig-leaf was built, either formally by TRO or informally by relabelling the unsuitable shoulder strip as a cycle lane like the Highways Agency has on sections of the A43 and A5. Has it ever actually happened in the direction claimed, that protected space was built first?

It's a lot longer than the slippery slope from banning some movements by cycles to banning more movements by cycles.