Operation Safeway - The Return

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AndyBSG

Operation Safeway - The Return

Post by AndyBSG »

http://road.cc/content/news/142907-met-launches-next-phase-operation-safeway-after-threefold-rise-road-deaths

Looks like a repeat of last years crack down.

Interestingly they are stating the main offences the're looking to crack down on and none of them are ones commited by cyclists.

I daresay we'll still be met by Daily Mail headlines in 6 weeks along the lines of 'Police stop hundreds of cyclists with no helmets!' while the thousands of drivers caught on their mobile phones will be quietly ignored or buried in a column footnote

Also not sure how Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Morrisons will feel about the free publicity Safeway get from it...Maybe all the supermarkets could bid for the right to sponsor next years occurrence of the crack down :)
Mark1978

Re: Operation Safeway - The Return

Post by Mark1978 »

Since Safeway was bought out by Morrisons 11 years ago I don't think they will be overly concerned ;)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

none of them are ones committed by cyclists.

In an operation scheduled to last six weeks, they will target motorists and cyclists, with a “specific focus on mobile phone usage whilst driving, speeding, failure to wear seat belts, red light violation, failure to comply with advanced stop lines, vehicle defects and no insurance. ....But the initiative has also come under criticism from cycling campaigners for issues such as officers stopping bike riders and telling them they should be wearing a cycle helmet or high-visibility clothing, neither of which are required under the Highway Code. (My emphasis)

They may not be required under the law, but they are recommended in the Highway Code:-

Clothing. You should wear
a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct size and securely fastened
appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights
light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light
reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 16 Feb 2015, 3:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

lol wondered why all the coppers were on street corners again....oddly enough no copper wants to give me advice... :mrgreen:

eek failure to comply with ASLs... i'm not even sure I know all the law concerning them correctly or judging by photos taken of police cars in ASLs they do either...
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

You* may not enter an ASL by crossing the first stop line after the lights have gone red.

*As others will no doubt clarify- this applies equally to cyclists :lol: , so overtaking into (most) ASLs is actually RLJing :oops:
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Thanks! Does this include entering an ASL via a cycle lane and crossing a broken line? I ask because I cant afford a FPN.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

No, the legal way of entering an ASL is on a pedal cycle and via the break in the first line. Any ticket given to a pedal cyclist entering by crossing the line should IMO be contested though, as it is unreasonable - that's what the ASZ is there for (and plenty don't have any break in the first line).