Head On Crash Avoidance........Two Bikes!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Head On Crash Avoidance........Two Bikes!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Out Yesterday and approaching a T junction (going out) last bit is single track, so you wait if car is coming in and they wait if you have blocked the road coming out.
I approach the narrow bit and car coming in so I bear left a bit and car should keep left and I can pass into narrow bit.
Car comes through and then I realise they is driving straight at me and car swerves to miss me :o
I can only conclude that the driver never saw me when they came though the narrow bit and at last moment saw me and swerved to miss me.
I was in full view and had not entered the narrow bit, lucky that I took avoiding action, well actually I didn't as they swerved first, and that would be my next move immediately. I could not see their face but I imagine that they were preoccupied with another task :?

Later on in same area I was turning right behind a car and notice they are on their mobile, so as the car turned right with me following behind I caught a glimpse of their face in wing mirror and pointed at them, immediately they dropped the phone and speed of like they do :roll: But a road sweeper hoovering up mud from the road works was closing the gap going our way they raced for the gap between the sweeper and wall and just past :roll:
I don't think they wanted a confrontation even with a cyclist.

That's............Not........Really.........The..Story.

On my way along a cycle path which was originally a footpath along what might have been a track adjacent to the railway (Goods single track).
I don't normally hang around but I do have to have my wits about me for sometimes groups or even a single cyclist come blindly into view, blocking the whole path (I am sure they think its one way).
This occasion came up very very quickly and at the moment I thought that we would collide head on with no room for passing,
I would bet my last penny that there would be injuries both sides.
I have never been that close.
One - two fast cyclists, not normally a problem as I always slow on the blind bits.
Two the other cyclist was easily my weight (all up 99kgs)
Three - not enough room for safe passing except at a fast trot.
Four - leaves covering the path.
Five - my hands were not on the brakes :?

I quickly braked without losing control and managed to bring the bike to a stop but that was not in the front of my mind.
What was, that there was simply not enough time for both of us to stop before we butted heads :!:
I could only stop in the middle of what is a very narrow piece of hard ground with leaves and rubbish on both sides.
I now know why I was so worried, the other cyclist appeared not to slow at all and passed me at speed...........on My Inside :shock:
I don't think that cyclist anywhere are advised to pass on the right when meeting another cyclist :?:
I have had a few try.
There are no markings on the path at all, no signs except one at the road entrance which says give way to pedestrians, I am assuming that it refers to the staggered gate which the sign is on but not that visible.

A moment after I stopped and the cyclist passed me I said *&$$!£ *&$$ not to the cyclist so much but to my surprise that I had not come to grief, on looking behind the cyclist sped off with out a blink.

Its apparent that the other cyclist who was matching my speed did not brake, slow and I will never know if they had always intended to pass me on the left (my left) but many cyclist I meet seem confused as to which side to pass.
Lucky for us both that I braked and left a slim path for them to go through.
If I had pulled up on my left not the middle (well there was only the middle) I am even more certain that we would of collided.
Its not just cars that worry me................................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Flinders

Re: Head On Crash Avoidance........Two Bikes!

Post by Flinders »

Weirdly, I too find on bike tracks that other bikes do sometimes try to cross me on the wrong side.
And when it's just me meandering along and nobody else is in sight, I do sometimes find I drift to the right, and have to pull over if I see anyone coming.
I have no idea why this is.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

my favourite is the pedestrian on the cycle path trying to be helpful by stepping forwards, and backwards so no matter how much you swerve they still seem to be in the way forcing you to a dead stop.
I had my revenge though later on the road, took primary through a zebra crossing, only to have a smart car try to pass me... i wasnt the problem, i reckon it was the cement raised platform in the middle of the road that he saw at the last minute :lol:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Dog walkers who call their dog across in front of you as you approach are my bugbear. Or the ones with those very long leads, which sometimes go right across the path in front of you.....................
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

New one to me today had a pigeon strut back n forth in front of my bike, when it heard the dynamo whine it took to the air desperately trying to imbed itself between the top of my wheel and the mudguard. While I would feel sorry for the poor pigeon. If that happens whats likely to happen to me? or would it get spat out the other end. I'm sure someone here has run over a pigeon...
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

The times I've been cycling on bike paths on railways etc - not very often as my bike isn't designed for that stuff. You often find that a good proportion of cyclists if they are experienced cyclists are of the mountain biker type, but there's also a lot of inexperienced cyclists on hybrids and the likes. The point is that neither of these groups is used to riding on the road and the discipline that entails, so where someone who is used to dealing with road situations will automatically go left, they don't have that instinct so will tend to be somewhat unpredictable.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well said, people taking up cycling today last rode a bike when they left there new shiny toy in the garage and forgot about it, to be found at the recycling centre by me :)
I can only do what I always do that is to keep my wits about me.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:New one to me today had a pigeon strut back n forth in front of my bike, when it heard the dynamo whine it took to the air desperately trying to imbed itself between the top of my wheel and the mudguard. While I would feel sorry for the poor pigeon. If that happens whats likely to happen to me? or would it get spat out the other end. I'm sure someone here has run over a pigeon...

If it went between the top of the wheel and the mudguard, surely it'd be spat out the front again without much disruption to the cycle? Even if it manages to get between the back and the mudguard, I suggest most pigeons are fat enough to result in a non-instant sharp deceleration which would probably leave you standing. Is anyone willing to test that, maybe with out-of-date food birds? What about with larger birds? Please remember to defrost the chicken...

Back to the original problem - I signal that I intend to pass on the left by showing my left palm flat to the front of the bike, with the hand on its side (fingertips pointing left). It usually works, but I'd still be ready to stop or swerve if you can.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flite

Post by Flite »

In an emergency, I just shout "LEFT" - that usually produces the correct reaction