Taking a bike on a train

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Taking a bike on a train

Post by mjr »

Grungy Anglia trains are offering two free bike and go hires if you payy the £10 registration fee before the end of March. Details http://www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/a ... cycle-hire

I don't know if it applies to Northern and Mersey bike and go too.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

^^

Looks similar to the bike and go scheme in Wigan. Pay the tenner registration fee and get two free hires.

http://www.bikeandgo.co.uk/
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I have had good and bad experiences taking my bike on trains. On sprinter trains with 2 bike spaces I used to regularly be on the Nuneaton to Coventry train when there were 7 bikes on. On the other hand I was asked to leave the train on one occasion when the jobsworth rail employee told me that the 2 spaces were already taken. On FGWestern we had a good experience. I don't bother trying to take a full sized bike to work anymore, I just use my Brompton instead.

We need a political party who will give us 2 bike spaces per CARRIAGE, not per train.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ron wrote:
The fat commuter wrote:How easy is it to take a pushbike onto a train?

Usually it's very straightforward

With the greatest respect Ron, that's complete nonsense. It is never straightforward to take a bike on a train in the UK. Apart from the fact that there are blanket bans in place in rush hours, the normal restriction is two bikes per train. This means that it is pure chance whether you get on or not. The fact that you will get on a lot of the time doesn't mean that it is straightforward. The threats and arguments I alluded to above were real not made up.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've been taking my bike on trains for years, & taking a tandem by train more-or-less every week since last summer.

My problems

A few times heading from Bolton to Manchester I've not got on the first train (at least once that was due to an earlier cancelled train) & have been delayed by, at most, 15 minutes (which was within what I'd allowed if I was catching another train elsewhere).

Coming back from a trip I've been early & could have got an earlier connection to my booked one but that has been packed so I had to wait for the train I was booked on.

Once my train was cancelled (broken down train on line) so I just got connecting local trains - no problems even though the Leeds to Manchester I got was pretty busy for a Sunday afternoon.

With the tandem, I had that "train manager" on a Virgin Pendelino (the one train that I know of that does officially take tandems) try to argue that they didn't take them despite my reservation. I was able to get on anyway.

I've had a couple of instances where the train manager didn't think the tandem would fit but were OK once they saw it did.

I've found that Northern are bothered about the number of bike as long as the aren't in the way - I've been on with 6 lad with BMXs in the 2 spaces.

I frequently find there are 2 to 4 ( sometime more) bikes on afternoon trains from North Wales to Manchester (Arriva Wales). Again if they aren't causing a problem no-one seems unduly bothered (on Friday one guy in the link between the carriages - a bike, me & tandem plus a lad with a bass guitar & amp already in the bike spaces - did back his bike into the toilet to let the drinks trolley past :) ).

Virgin almost always want a reservation but station staff are generally helpful (quite a few at Wigan & Warrington - the West Coast stations I am most familiar with - are cyclist themselves). Voyagers are easier than Pendelinos to "freestyle" as you can let yourself on & off.

The biggest "problem" I have taking the tandem on the train is people (including railway staff & transport police) wanting to ask all sorts of questions about the bike or asking where my (by the time I'm on the train) absent stoker is!

Yes there can be problems, but not driving because there might be traffic problems is probably a more realistic - but rare - viewpoint. :D

By far my biggest problem is not making tight connections because of late trains!

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

As I have previously stated during other topics on this subject: Going to the commencement or returning from my many tours, in 14 years of taking my bike on trains I have never had a problem with any train operator. In fact there are quite a few times where I have experienced exceptional service from rail staff. I am sad to say I have witnessed some cyclists appearing to go to great lengths to p**s off otherwise helpful members of the railway community.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
karlt

Post by karlt »

I've had no problems either - Northern trains, Virgin, East Midlands. The latter has the bikes in a compartment marked "private" but apart from that logical fail I have no problems on peak time trains between Chesterfield and Sheffield.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My partner had a spell over the summer of using the train on the first part of her journey into work. It was TPE or Northern depending on time of travel. She had the added difficulty of an 18 month old on the child seat at the back and a horrendous gap between platform and train. Seriously that is about a foot in places which with a heavy shopper bike and a 10kg load high up on the back was hard. The only diffulty she had was the gap and the weight, she never had any problems with TPE or the much older train stock that Northern use.

Officially one or both of those companies say you need to book it at least half or full hour before travel. She never did and never had an issue. She stopped because the gap was a problem. I told her that if she was disabled she could arrange for help so perhaps she should book in to travel and get the train staff to help. The guard on that line used to stand by the door she used shaking his head at her efforts to get over the gap and on the train instead of helping. I was appalled. One time a woman struggled with a buggy then came back to help her but this guy just stood there amused by both the woman with the buggy and my partner struggling. I sometimes think train companies need to wake up and realise without passengers of all varieties they would not be needed. We are the customer and we are right. If we want bikes on the train you make it possible. If we need help getting on or platforms made safe then you do it. I remember in FRance they brought in real fancy new trains that were a bit wider than normal. That meant abot 32 platforms had to be modified so they can use them. That was not an issue but here they'd probably just miss the station.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Cycle Touring, Portugal Sep 2014 - Guarda to Coimbra - oh bliss :D

A 130 mile journey cost £17 one way
Attachments
Temp1.jpg
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I use German trains with a bike quite a bit, last year I hopped one north of Stuttgart
DSCN3091micro.jpg
before getting on the U-bahn and a tram (I had a puncturel and it was raining a lot and it was late but the point is that I was able to do it!) I then took a lift along the Danube to save time before my final train ride of @ 70km from Armberg to Nurnberg
DSCN4175micro.jpg

Loads of space, no hassle or strange looks - its just the norm like fixed ticket prices for a journey, no searching for cheap fares just for your journey time!

Some trains, even with bike spaces can be a mare to get on tho but the staff will invariably give a hand :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Ron

Post by Ron »

horizon wrote: It is never straightforward to take a bike on a train in the UK.

Nonsense, but if you take your bike to a station with that attitude undoubtedly things will be less than straightforward.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Thanks for all the advice and tales of your experiences.

I'd made up my mind to hire a Brompton at work and take that with me but, with many of you saying that taking a bike usually presents no difficulties, I thought that I'd take my bike with me.

However, I've had the dreaded lurgy all week - haven't been out on the bike since last Friday and I can't see that improving any time soon. Whilst the head cold seems to be clearing (I've only used about half a box of tissues on my nose tonight at work), breathing is still a bit difficult. I therefore don't want to be having to cycle across town at this end as well as in Wigan - even if it is only two or three miles for each journey. I'll therefore likely be driving over when I go next week.

Based on what's been said on here though, I would have used the train if I was well enough. Maybe another time.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

My top tip is to cycle down to the station at a quiet time and get the little man to book all the stages of any journey involving changes.

Around here - Derby's/S Yorks - I book if it is important but i often see local journeyers just putting bikes on on spec.

Staff have total discretion so be nice.

And if you are bumped because if no bike space on a prebooked ticket you can get a later train even if your ticket is restricted.

If cycling continue to grow I predict a crunch in a few years since 2 or 3 bikes on a 500 person train will stop being sufficient.

F
go4it

Post by go4it »

Must congratulate a Merseyrail train driver on 12th Feb I was getting a local train in to Liverpool, as it was late it was quite full, and a cyclist (with bike!) getting off wished me luck as it was packed. Another two bikes got on before me, so I told driver I would wait for next train ( no prob. for me would have been a 10 min wait plus my mate was on that train.) with that the driver got out of compartment and asked standing passengers to 'move along' thus making plenty of room for three bikes.
I have noticed, similar to buses, passengers prefer to congregate near exit doors and stand next to bikes, even when seats are available. Some even sit on seats where bike designated area is!!
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ron wrote:
horizon wrote: It is never straightforward to take a bike on a train in the UK.

Nonsense, but if you take your bike to a station with that attitude undoubtedly things will be less than straightforward.

Fair point. :D

But I speak from having turned up in good and cheerful spirits only to have station staff run over to me (on several occasions) to "assist" me not to get on the train.

The main point though is that "straightforward" applies to the two bikes rule: most of the time it won't affect you ... until it does.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher