Filthy Drivers: Roadside Rubbish

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
beardy

Re: Filthy Drivers: Roadside Rubbish

Post by beardy »

and stuffing the punctured one in your back pocket for repair when you get back home.

I am not supporting what they do but explaining it. I imagine that the sort of rider who commits this act does not have a pannier or saddlebag and they leave the house with bulging jersey pockets. A used innertube is not as tightly packed as a new one (without some effort) and dirty.
Would you really sling an inner tube "bandoleer style" over a white Rapha jacket?

On group rides I have been known to ask riders if they intend repairing their tubes and offering to take it away for them if they dont. Some are genuinely very surprised at the idea that I actually intend repairing it for reuse.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

beardy wrote:
Would you really sling an inner tube "bandoleer style" over a white Rapha jacket?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
OTOH a figure of 8 tube over the shoulders would look quite retro,perhaps if they had a pair of goggles with them for just such an eventuality :roll:

On group rides I have been known to ask riders if they intend repairing their tubes and offering to take it away for them if they dont. Some are genuinely very surprised at the idea that I actually intend repairing it for reuse.

Sad innit?

Not that you take their old tubes and reuse them.But that they don't know how to,or care to know how to mend a punctured tube :? .
You'd think it was a complicated procedure,it usually takes 5 to 10minutes tops with the tube out of the tyre.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:Not that you take their old tubes and reuse them.But that they don't know how to,or care to know how to mend a punctured tube :? .
You'd think it was a complicated procedure,it usually takes 5 to 10minutes tops with the tube out of the tyre.

Maybe you could offer to show them how? Now, if only there was some sort of club which offered insurance for such "Dr Bike" activities... ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Not that you take their old tubes and reuse them.But that they don't know how to,or care to know how to mend a punctured tube :? .

Maybe you could offer to show them how? Now, if only there was some sort of club which offered insurance for such "Dr Bike" activities... ;)

Me old Dad long dead,used to say ''you can talk all day to a chap with a wooden leg,but you can't talk to one with a wooden head'' :wink:
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't know if it is just me, but I've found with tubes for narrow road tyres that it is hard to get a reliable repair as the tube gets much more stretched in use compared to the ones in my fatter tyred bikes.

Maybe I could use fatter tubes, particularly now I'm using "fat" 28mm tyres rather than the previous 25s, but the infrequency of the need for repairs means it will probably be several years before I will have got through my very small stock of spare tubes even if I don't repair them.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

reohn2 wrote:Me old Dad long dead,used to say ''you can talk all day to a chap with a wooden leg,but you can't talk to one with a wooden head'' :wink:

That must be a local saying. I've never heard anyone 'round here say that - except for my Dad. And he was born in... Lowton!
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Guy951 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Me old Dad long dead,used to say ''you can talk all day to a chap with a wooden leg,but you can't talk to one with a wooden head'' :wink:

That must be a local saying. I've never heard anyone 'round here say that - except for my Dad. And he was born in... Lowton!

Me Dad was born,and brought up in Stubshaw Cross,2miles way from Lowton,and he would invariably speak 'broad' or 'Lanky'dialect :- ''thy con talk awe day t' uh mon wi' uh wooden leg,but thy caun't talk t' one wi' uh wooden yed'' :)

Who's your Dad,where did he work?
W H Auden
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

rehon2 - You remind me of this Lancastrian I nonce met of a Graham Baxter trip. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=94407
I should coco.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Valbrona wrote:rehon2 - You remind me of this Lancastrian I nonce met of a Graham Baxter trip. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=94407

?
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Easy enough to tie it around your crossbar [there is an old word]. On a rented bike in majorca I wrapped a spare tube around the handlebars because of the vibes from the bike. Very effective. I try to repair all my tubes.
I abhor waste. Litter is waste. Can't stand it. I drive my wife crazy. I think she is very wasteful. She does not understand why I have to scrape the complete youghurt pot out or eat an apple so there is almost nothing left. She will throw the last bit of milk out of the bottle [yes we still have milk delivered in bottles] while I will keep it for my brew. Tins of beans with a few beans left. She will throw it. Argghh! I split teabags and use the leaves on the garden. I'm not at all tight, just hate waste which leads to litter.
There is a pub on my ride that is closing down. I am so glad as the adjoining bike path is covered with glass each weekend from discarded pint glasses. I stop at a war memorial to eat my banana. I always end up picking bits of litter up. there is a waste bin at the side of the bench for crying out loud!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Off at a slight tangent on the subject of littering - I was astonished today, while walking along the Downs near the top of Ditchling Beacon (on the South Downs Way LDP), to be accosted by a family with a couple of dogs, with the question: "do we have to pick up dog poo here?" The implication being, I suppose, that if it isn't a legal 'must', we ain't going to bother.... :evil: And this is a popular path, used by many walkers and riders, a lot of them with children.

The question was driven by the added urgency that one of their dogs had just 'performed'.

I presume they took me for a 'local' (which I am) who would be competent in such legal niceties (which I'm not).

Anyway, my response was uncharacteristically polite "Well I would prefer it if you did." I wish now, I'd put it a bit stronger - my face-to-face persona is probably a bit milder-mannered than my on-forum persona! But no matter: they did the decent thing....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Post by beardy »

they did the decent thing....

You mean hung it off a tree a few hundred metres further on. :mrgreen:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

beardy wrote:

Or they found the way to our house and thrust it into the bushes in our front garden? They wouldn't have been the first..... :evil:

Yes - by pure coincidence, earlier in the walk we fell in with a couple of other walkers yesterday (sans chien) who briefly chatted to us: they went on at some length about the problem of the abandoned poo-bag. Maybe it's not the right answer. Certainly we see the dog-bins in the area full to overflowing - yuck! - with no apparent timetable for emptying them.

However I'd not like to see a return to the bad old days and the inadvertant "I trod in something"...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

beardy wrote:

Ha. You've been using the Lune path, I bet! :evil:

Talking of which:

661-Pete wrote:Certainly we see the dog-bins in the area full to overflowing - yuck! - with no apparent timetable for emptying them.

Just past the Halton Weir, the bin has become comical lately; surely if the bin is full, you just carry it that little bit further until you reach a bin with space, or indeed your home? When I see piles of log bags, it makes me understand why the council workers with the punishing task of emptying these bins would avoid doing so if the flimsy pooch poo pouches are piled up so precariously and likely leaking. And I still come across plenty of unbagged dumps too- had some on my shoe the other day and tried to walk it off on some grass in the dark... ended up with more clogging my tread.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've just finished a two week stint at looking after someone else's dog, and I collected the poo in the degradable little green bags we are supposed to put food waste in. Of course, once you have your dog's poo in a bag you start thinking about a bin. Dogs are poor at planning and don't get poo to coincide with bin. Usually a bin was not far away and there was no problem. But I live in a village surrounded by a network of lanes and public footpaths, all (naturally) binless. On the few occasions that the dog pood away from bin territory I tucked the bag into the base of a hedge (farm hedge, not garden hedge), reasoning that it was all compostable, it was out of sight, and nobody was likely to come into contact with it. Did I do right?