Lesson learned - again

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pete Owens

Re: Lesson learned - again

Post by Pete Owens »

honesty wrote:Theres usually one queue of traffic on me commute home that the only way to get past is to go along the gutter stones as even though the road is relatively wide the cars seem to hug the edge there.

If the road is wide and cars are hugging the edge then overtake on the correct side. And if there isn't enough space to overtake safely then join the queue and wait till there is - just as we expect drivers not to squeeze past us if there isn't enough space.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Down the middle would be ok if I wasn't already filtering down the left only to find one car for some reason stopped in the queue of traffic as far left as possible. At which point in stuck... Either its filter in the gutter, or try and cut out through the cars and then back in.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Pete Owens wrote:
honesty wrote:Theres usually one queue of traffic on me commute home that the only way to get past is to go along the gutter stones as even though the road is relatively wide the cars seem to hug the edge there.

If the road is wide and cars are hugging the edge then overtake on the correct side. And if there isn't enough space to overtake safely then join the queue and wait till there is - just as we expect drivers not to squeeze past us if there isn't enough space.

And the 'correct' side is?
I for one will not cross lines of traffic to overtake.
honesty

Post by honesty »

the main point this happens is here: https://goo.gl/maps/sbLeM so going on the outside is not generally acceptable as well as the traffic island is there. You an see the gutter stones in the road as well. My only thought is people are lining up for the 2 lanes after the traffic island oblivious to the fact that the narrowing by the island forces them back into single file anyway.