On the way home from shopping

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
deliquium

On the way home from shopping

Post by deliquium »

Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Merry_Wanderer

Re: On the way home from shopping

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

What a great place to shop!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You lucky man! :)

But then you knew that didn't you :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah, lovely.
The views AND the Carry Freedom! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Ah, lovely.

Let's not forget the bike!
A credit to it's owner :)
W H Auden
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Great picture of Lenticular clouds in the top picture, specifically Altocumulus lenticularis I believe, aka UFOs. Formed by wind being forced upwards by the shape of the land, as the air rises it cools and droplets form in the air, as the air continues to move it starts to fall and warms up again and the droplets evaporate, so although there is a wind blowing the clouds appear stationary. A cloud forming like a flag on a summit behaves in the same way.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I like those Welsh Black cattle.

But lots of Wales has been ruined by twin curse of sheep farming and forestry.
I should coco.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:You lucky man! :)
But then you knew that didn't you :D

I do indeed count my blessings John :D

Mick F wrote:Ah, lovely.

That was its inaugural run back from Dewi The Bike's workshop in Talysarn. I was so chuffed having ridden 15 miles with it, including a 1:7 climb (Drws Y Coed) without really noticing it, I took in an extra 3 miles to take this snap at the far end of Llyn Gwynant. Only to find when I got home, the hitch securing pin had come out somewhere en route :shock:

Am intending to revisit your posts Mick F about experiences with the 'Quick Release' wheel system :wink:

reohn2 wrote:Let's not forget the bike!
A credit to it's owner :)

:oops: Thank you John - I got the frame and forks for nothing (1990 Raleigh Blueridge 531 All Terrain) over on the http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum. I threw it at John the local 'Menai Powder Coatings' fella. And paid particular care and attention whilst building it up into an ideal winter shopper/tow bike.

The newly built black hubbed, rimmed and spoked dyno wheels will be replaced with silver :roll: when Ison Distribution get more stock of 32 hole SP-PV8 dyno hubs in April. Also it now has BLACK Carradice Kendal Panniers (cos the green and olive were too Tory county shires/huntin' and shootin' kinda vibe). AND multi coloured brake and gear outer cables :P

BeeKeeper wrote:Great picture of Lenticular clouds in the top picture, specifically Altocumulus lenticularis I believe, aka UFOs. Formed by wind being forced upwards by the shape of the land, as the air rises it cools and droplets form in the air, as the air continues to move it starts to fall and warms up again and the droplets evaporate, so although there is a wind blowing the clouds appear stationary. A cloud forming like a flag on a summit behaves in the same way.

Thanks BeeKeeper, I had no idea there was a specific term for this cloud formation. I was just pleased to be carrying the camera that day. Clouds, especially changeable ones, figure a lot here in Eryri (Snowdonia).
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:
That was its inaugural run back from Dewi The Bike's workshop in Talysarn. I was so chuffed having ridden 15 miles with it, including a 1:7 climb (Drws Y Coed) without really noticing it, I took in an extra 3 miles to take this snap at the far end of Llyn Gwynant. Only to find when I got home, the hitch securing pin had come out somewhere en route :shock:

I found what I thought was hitch pin sometime back.PM in coming shortly after I've had a look for it :)

:oops: Thank you John - I got the frame and forks for nothing (1990 Raleigh Blueridge 531 All Terrain) over on the http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum.

You lucky blighter :)

I threw it at John the local 'Menai Powder Coatings' fella. And paid particular care and attention whilst building it up into an ideal winter shopper/tow bike.

All good craftsmen are called John :mrgreen:

Also it now has BLACK Carradice Kendal Panniers (cos the green and olive were too Tory county shires/huntin' and shootin' kinda vibe).

I should think so too :mrgreen:
AND multi coloured brake and gear outer cables :P

I just knew you weren't a UKIP voter :wink:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

deliquium wrote:Am intending to revisit your posts Mick F about experiences with the 'Quick Release' wheel system :wink:
I'm of the opinion that the stub axle release idea is only any use if you actually want it.

Maybe CF should have produced two versions - one for the folk who want to stow their trailer, and one for the folk who don't.

Some years ago, I went by train up to Edinburgh with Bike in the bike stowage and my CF trailer in the suitcase stowage in the carriage. In those days, I had an orange suitcase strapped to the loadbed, so I disconnected the wheels, extracted the axles and carried them in a carrier bag together with the tow arm. The suitcase remained strapped to the loadbed and stowed on the luggage rack.
Suitcase.jpg
This system actually worked well, but the suitcase zip leaked in the rain and my stuff got rather wet. :lol:

The idea was actually a good one. The whole thing was easily stowed and was quite versatile, but the trouble was, the stub axles weren't well designed so eventually came out with disastrous consequences. By all accounts CF have sorted the problem, but meanwhile my axles are permanently fixed in place .............. and I'm happier because of it.

Since gone over to a nice weatherproof/waterproof/shockproof/bomb proof/theft proof alu box. This is bolted to the loadbed and isn't easily removable. No doubt I could still go by train with it but the stowage could possibly be a problem. The wheels will come off of course, but you need a spanner to undo the wheel nuts to pull them off the axles.
Chopper+Trailer.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Second photo looks like a mini Airstream caravan :mrgreen:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That box is brilliant.
It's light and strong and it's lockable too.
I bought it from UK Shelving, but it seems they don't do them any more.

A quick Google brings these up identical to mine.
http://www.3d-cases.co.uk/defender-alum ... -cases.php
Mick F. Cornwall
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Mick F wrote:That box is brilliant.
It's light and strong and it's lockable too.
I bought it from UK Shelving, but it seems they don't do them any more.

A quick Google brings these up identical to mine.
http://www.3d-cases.co.uk/defender-alum ... -cases.php

My choice for the LARGE Carry Freedom trailer

1 x FAE.003387 @ £176.13

Carriage £18.00

All prices exclude VAT @ 20%.

= £233

OUCH :cry:
Current pedalable joys

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My box wasn't anywhere near that.
I haven't got a record of what I paid, but there's something on this forum somewhere from when I bought it.
2009?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Found it:
viewtopic.php?t=16398

My box is 600x400x400 and cost £125.10 including delivery and VAT.
Mick F. Cornwall