Cycling into the sun

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mark a.

Re: Cycling into the sun

Post by mark a. »

Hmmm. I didn't bother putting my rear light on because it was never going to compete with the Sun. The light is an older Cateye, so perhaps it's time for one or two of the 1 watt jobbies.
lesz42

Post by lesz42 »

riding in dense fog, really bad, only thing that stood out was hi viz stuff, ( a lot of cyclists wore black) white was worse, lights tiny bit helpfull, but in the daylight fog, hi viz stood out,

i found it much worse then riding into the sun or such condidtions
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

eileithyia wrote:
Valbrona wrote:One would hope that if you get hit by a vehicle the Police Officer attending the scene would adequately asses how suitably prepared the driver was in driving in such conditions. Like, was he/she equipped with eyeware of a suitable specification and did he/she think to use that eyeware in conditions of glare?

and be driving at a suitable speed to take in the conditions, have a clean windscreen.

Could. Not. Be. Further. From. Reality.

https://beyondthekerb.wordpress.com/201 ... /futility/
http://beyondthekerb.wordpress.com/2014 ... f-the-sun/
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

danhopgood wrote:I've changed my approach since following the court case in my home town of a cyclist killed in Southampton and the driver claimed low sun - and was found not guilty of death by careless driving.

Now if I'm turning right and I'm likely to have to wait in the running lane, I will wait at the kerb for a space in the traffic. I also avoid busy routes in those conditions.

Agreed, there have been far too many cases where a driver has used 'low sun' as a defence and it's been accepted!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Original Question:
mark a. wrote:It's low sun straight ahead and wet roads, so there's tons of glare. Do you:
1) Carry on
2) Stop
3) Do something else that helps you not get run over by a car drive who can't see.

Vantage wrote:Carry on.
There's drivers who text, tweet, mess around with satnav and stereo's, smoking, drinking, telling their kids to be quiet, doing other naughty things behind the wheel and I don't stay off the roads for them.
If I stayed off the bike for every possible risk out there, I'd never get any cycling done.

(My bold and italics) and how many car drivers say the same ?

Mark1978 wrote:
danhopgood wrote:I've changed my approach since following the court case in my home town of a cyclist killed in Southampton and the driver claimed low sun - and was found not guilty of death by careless driving.

Now if I'm turning right and I'm likely to have to wait in the running lane, I will wait at the kerb for a space in the traffic. I also avoid busy routes in those conditions.

Agreed, there have been far too many cases where a driver has used 'low sun' as a defence and it's been accepted!

Interesting the different attitudes of different cyclists.

I actually find it difficult as, where I cycle you sometimes get babies being pushed along in their buggies for a walk by mums along the road (no pavement). and going straight into one could easily result in serious injuries for the baby/mum. So were I to plough on regardless of conditions I would be doing the same as drivers texting, etc. (and I am regularly critical of such behaviour). I guess it is a principle that applies everywhere (not just to my particular locality) as if you can't see dangers (to others as well as yourself) you can avoid them.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Wait for one of these?
Sadly, you'll have a long wait, unless you're cycling in exactly the right place at the right time (next one in the UK not due until 2090) :( .
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

Definitely worth using a bright flasher to warn drivers struggling with the glare too. I try to minimise my exposure to danger by not hanging about too long on bits of road where the glare could prevent a driver noticing me. Like most of us, I'm a driver too, and the low sun at this time of year causes problems for all of us. I've driven around a corner at about 5mph with my visor down and sunglasses on, still not able to see as well as I would like.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:Definitely worth using a bright flasher to warn drivers struggling with the glare too.

1. You're not going to compete with the sun.
2. You're going to get abuse hurled at you by the other road users you dazzle.
I try to minimise my exposure to danger by not hanging about too long on bits of road where the glare could prevent a driver noticing me.

That's a better tactic, even if it's not always possible.
Like most of us, I'm a driver too, and the low sun at this time of year causes problems for all of us. I've driven around a corner at about 5mph with my visor down and sunglasses on, still not able to see as well as I would like.

Good that you've slowed to 5mph. Far too many nutters plough on at full speed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've never had anyone complain about me using a flasher in daylight.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:I've never had anyone complain about me using a flasher in daylight.

Then it's probably not bright enough to compete with the sun.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think if I were directly lined up with the sun, from the driver's point of view, my flasher would be unnoticed. Then my silhouette would be more use. But if I were slightly to one side of the sun, again from the driver's point of view, the flasher might help. It's not perfect, I know, but I'm happy to use anything that helps some of the time. And as I always have a rear light available, the possibility that it might help is reason enough to switch it on.
lesz42

Post by lesz42 »

pwa wrote:I think if I were directly lined up with the sun, from the driver's point of view, my flasher would be unnoticed. Then my silhouette would be more use. But if I were slightly to one side of the sun, again from the driver's point of view, the flasher might help. It's not perfect, I know, but I'm happy to use anything that helps some of the time. And as I always have a rear light available, the possibility that it might help is reason enough to switch it on.

this, just may give you a chance, you only know of the ones that dont.....
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

WEAR SUNGLASSES IF IT'S BRIGHT.
Or stay at home and do some maintenance on the bike.
Personally I just go for a ride , the sun position is never an issue.
Are people on here actually complaining about sunny days ?????

??????????????????????
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
lesz42

Post by lesz42 »

landsurfer wrote:WEAR SUNGLASSES IF IT'S BRIGHT.
Or stay at home and do some maintenance on the bike.
Personally I just go for a ride , the sun position is never an issue.
Are people on here actually complaining about sunny days ?????

??????????????????????

careful! you may run out of ?????? before your quota is up!!!!!!!!!!!????
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

landsurfer wrote:Personally I just go for a ride , the sun position is never an issue.

You've never been driven into. Lucky you.

Doesn't mean the sun position isn't an issue.