Taxi Ad

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fluffybunnyuk

Taxi Ad

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/02/Taxi-ad-.jpg
I changed it to a link because of the size.
I wonder if they do bikes too? :mrgreen:

If only a camera guaranteed a barrister and a witness...
Spinners

Re: Taxi Ad

Post by Spinners »

A very authentic cabbie...
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Interesting that the ad chooses to use a collision with a cyclist as an example rather than another car.
A local taxi firm round here has the ad line 'A million customers can't be wrong' as someone who once had an Equitable Life pension I think to myself 'Oh yes they can'
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are all kinds of things wrong with that picture. What an awful advert. :(

On the other hand, I hope plenty of cab drivers take them up on the camera thing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

what makes me laugh is the victim blaming lawyer and the fact the taxi has illegal plates...

Thats revenge to the cabbie who left hooked me just before london bridge station on thursday.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The ad implies a great number of things that I do not like.

It also says that the company is regulated by the Financial Services Authority. The FSA has not existed since 1 April 2013. There was a brief period of grace for financial services firms to correct their stationery, advertising and other correspondence to show the current regulator (FCA/PRA).

Either the ad is quite old (which is not to say there isn't a current version with the same central themes) or it's an ad that should be brought to the attention of the regulator.

Edit: In view of Vorpal's link showing the ad to be current I've raised a complaint with the regulator. I know it's the least of the problems with the ad but the evidence is in print, a bit like having a barrister and a witness sat beside me :wink: .

Edit 2: The relevant department of the FCA will be taking a closer look. I expect the firm will receive a call or notice from the regulator to get it sorted out before the next print run. I doubt there will be any fine but I can't imagine they'll enjoy the attention.
Last edited by gaz on 9 Feb 2015, 6:47pm, edited 2 times in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:There are all kinds of things wrong with that picture. What an awful advert. :(
Racism - just for starters.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

If I was a taxi driver I think I'd want to have camera anyway, for someone who's livelihood depends on driving then having evidence in your favour if another car does something daft is going to be vital.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

More information http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... yet-155582

And here is the advert fromt he 7th January 2014 http://www.taxinewspaper.co.uk/downloads/Taxi_309.pdf (you have to scroll well down to see it).

edited to add: the Taxi driver's forum is about what you'd expect... http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/vie ... =2&t=26088
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I saw this the other day, was thinking of investigating the numbers of collisions taxis have and what with and who was at fault.
I wonder if the cameras somehow 'lose' any evidence of the taxi driver being at fault, or they'll just not disclose it.

Although the idea of cheaper insurance if you have cameras is a good idea, would be even better if it uploaded random clips of your driving to a central computer where insurers could check if you could actually drive properly, rather than just be used in cases where you've already had an accident.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I thought the advert was pretty funny tbh.

I had a one shout the odds the other day at me for cycling the wrong way up a wrong way street after he nearly hit me. He hadn't bothered looking in front to check anything was coming so simply pulled out from his parking spot.

It didn't occur to him that I'd moved out of the cycling contraflow because he was illegally parked in it! (Assuming he actually knew it was a contraflow, that there was a bike lane and that the solid white line meant he wasn't meant to use it for parking.)

IME cabbies always assume they're in the right (professional driver blah blah) which should make the first few rounds of videos they produce showing the other guy to be at fault pretty amusing to say the least.
They're pretty street wise though so it won't take long for word to get around that the camera's aren't helping and then it'll be business as usual, conjuring up 'witnesses' with identical statements and a cab full of paying fares claiming off your insurance.
Last edited by kwackers on 6 Feb 2015, 2:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Taxi Ad

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Beam me up Scotty! Sure this isn't a spoof?

Westminster Insurance pride themselves on selling a product called "Unusual Insurance". From their website:

We love the unusual motor risk and will provide assistance when most insurers shy away. A sample of such risks is listed. Please do not feel embarrassed to present your enquiries to us, whether the vehicle or the driver makes it unusual.

There are no rating guides for such risks and because the underwriting is handled by professionals who are expert in evaluating the risk, a rate can be provided in most cases.

Now is it any wonder they let this advert go ahead?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:More information http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... yet-155582

And here is the advert fromt he 7th January 2014 http://www.taxinewspaper.co.uk/downloads/Taxi_309.pdf (you have to scroll well down to see it).

edited to add: the Taxi driver's forum is about what you'd expect... http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/vie ... =2&t=26088

I'm sure there must be advantages in taxi drivers having a camera in their vehicles and with a bit of intelligence no doubt Westminster Insurance could have produced an advert showing those advantages............

GBC on the taxi drivers forum has some knowledge of the CTC and posted

"The CTC used to be a nice organisation to belong to, organising tours, cycle meets, camping etc through local D.A's.

Then the bearded loons started taking over, the 'activist' types.

They're practically it nowadays, I left ages ago."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
irc

Post by irc »

661-Pete wrote:
Vorpal wrote:There are all kinds of things wrong with that picture. What an awful advert. :(

Don't see the racism myself??
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

irc wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

Don't see the racism myself??

I grew up in Africa so I see another side to this. If this ad was publicised over there it may be viewed as classist (because the 'rich' wouldn't be seen dead cycling!)

As it is here in the UK it's certainly not racist. It's just a dumb ad.

The other distasteful thing is the horrible yellow cycling lid.