Any practical advice to reduce heart rate?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Rich_S

Re: Any practical advice to reduce heart rate?

Post by Rich_S »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Rich_S wrote:Sounds like it's going to be a slow ride this weekend.

Thanks guys!

Only applicable if you aim is to fat burn :?:

That's not a bad plan, I'm about 6ft and just under 15 stone.

The fat commuter wrote:Which bit of you is holding you back? Is it your aerobic capacity or your power or something else?

I guess it's aerobic capacity... Well, I'm not sure anything is 'holding me back' ummm... Might need to give that one some thought - I guess I'd be out of breath when cycling up a steep hill

The fat commuter wrote:Someone else has mentioned varying your training regime. See if you can find a long gentle slope. This is easier in some parts of the UK than others.

Down in the southwest we have flat or hills, Not to many gradual slopes, I'll go 'hunting' and see what I can find to mix it up a bit.

The fat commuter wrote:One question, I'm assuming that you're not carrying around excess weight because I know first hand that that makes for a slow ride.

No, I pretty much take what I need.

By all means - take a look at my strava if it may help.....
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2208629 ... ce=top-nav
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Rich_S wrote:
The fat commuter wrote:One question, I'm assuming that you're not carrying around excess weight because I know first hand that that makes for a slow ride.

No, I pretty much take what I need.

I actually was being a bit more personal than that - are you overweight? 15 st is a lot of weight to carry around if you want to be a race cyclist (not as much as my 17 st though).
Look at people like Bradley Wiggins - over 6 ft and about 11 stone (if my Google search is correct).

Regarding fat burning and heart rate, I don't go for this 'fat burning range' of 120 - 140 bpm. Yes, as a percentage you will get more calories from fat - however, the total amount of fat burnt would be higher when exercising at a higher intensity - it's just that you'll also burn more readily available energy that is stored in your muscles.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Just looked at the strava link, so 163av for 23kph av.....
I think maybe your weight might have a bearing, more body for the heart to pump the nutrients to....

Ok I am a little older than you, but first started to race with a HRM when in my 30's. I race time trials at 35-40kph/av at 160-170 hr and yes i have been riding a bike a lot longer and am not as tall or as weighty as you....
20 yrs on and i still race at the above averages. When i ride on the flat at your speeds i would be averaging 110-130hr.

I think there is a combination of things going on here, lack of overall fitness, your weight and relatively new to cycling (sport?).
It does however sound to be a bit on the high side and personally i would get an MOT from my Dr.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Rich_S

Post by Rich_S »

Thanks for your feedback, to be fair - my most recent ride was a bit 'out of character', I met up with a friend and did about 15 miles at 11mph (140bpm) - if you look back a bit further it gives a fairer understanding.

I think I'll try a few weeks @ 140bmp - I've read that I may be riding too hard to use body fat - hence not losing weight.

Thanks everyone, I've apreciated reading your thoguhts
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Dont forget the vegetables rather than fruit, fresh fish,quorn,pulses etc. There are good tricks such as using sesame seeds on a lunch meal, and cinanamon at breakfast. ginger is also good, i get my fix after sushi. No amount of excerise is going to shift an excess of calorie intake problem...
scuse me i need to get back to my fish n chips now :lol:

Oh that reminds me...you need to eat fats to burn fat. Its sugars that arnt burnt off the body then converts to fat, that causes weight gain. So guzzling lots of high energy sports drink even when cycling isnt good for you.

Since ive got the metaphorical knife in for cadburys right now its worth pointing out that at 150watt output i dont burn enough sugar fast enough to warrant consuming a chocolate bar...
Rich_S

Post by Rich_S »

:lol:
cyclingadam

Post by cyclingadam »

A lot of runners use a training technique called Maffetone . My cousin who runs daily had noticed a considerable reduction in heart rate.

When I cycle I use my Garmin watch and a heart rate monitor. I have found that unless you train regularly, you will lose cardiovascular strength / fitness.
cyclingadam

Post by cyclingadam »

Try "the big book of endurance training and racing" by Dr. Philip Maffetone.

I have an ebook version which I've not read yet but it was recommended to me by my cousin who runs regularly (at least once a day) He has used this method to really reduce his heart rate when running with stunning results.