Reporting this driver? Road safe or police?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
aspiringcyclist

Re: Reporting this driver? Road safe or police?

Post by aspiringcyclist »

Although it might appear so, I was not trying to filter up the left hand side of the van. The claim that 'over eager' camera users bring hostility onto themselves is nonsense. Those drivers simply have anger management problems and cannot stand when someone reports their criminal and dangerous behaviour.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

aspiringcyclist wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear but this is what I was referring to:

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Guessing that it was a Mercedes, it looks like it is the correct license number.
Well your details match on that DVLA website and this is the result (for anyone to see):
Tax due 1 March 2015 MOT Expires 16 Feb 2015

Vehicle details
6 month rate £123.75
12 month rate £225.00
6 monthly by direct debit totalling £118.13
12 monthly by direct debit totalling £225.00
Monthly by direct debit totalling £236.25
(Monthly payment of approximately £19.69)
Vehicle make MERCEDES
Date of first registration 08 November 2004
Year of manufacture 2004 Cylinder capacity (cc) 2148cc
CO₂Emissions Not available
Fuel type DIESEL
Export marker No
Vehicle status Taxed and due
Vehicle colour WHITE
Vehicle type approval N1
Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight 3500kg

But I think the only bit of useful info for you is that it seems that was the vehicle and if so was taxed and has an MOT certificate.
So nothing you can report here. All appears fine is this was the vehicle.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

aspiringcyclist wrote:Although it might appear so, I was not trying to filter up the left hand side of the van. The claim that 'over eager' camera users bring hostility onto themselves is nonsense. Those drivers simply have anger management problems and cannot stand when someone reports their criminal and dangerous behaviour.

Still not sure why you were where you were on the road.
In my opinion it is not the responsibility of other road users to take someone else to task over their actions. The response is almost always going to be defensive or aggressive. Up to the point you had words with the driver he (assuming it was a he) probably didn't have too much of an issue with cyclists. He may well do now.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

The 2nd cyclist isn't in the gutter until the overtake puts them there. The driving is careless. The video should go to the police.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Malaconotus wrote:The 2nd cyclist isn't in the gutter until the overtake puts them there.

I think he was (I full screened it and he's only 18" away AFAICS). I agree with 661-pete that the cyclist should have anticipated the pinch point in the traffic lane ahead and that someone would try to squeeze in.

I don't think it's reportable but it's totally inexcusable and it's sickening nonetheless.

I even wonder whether a bike lane here would be justified to keep the traffic to the right during the inevitable queues.

However, it shows why cyclists take the lane and in that sense it may be a really useful video for any motorist out there still unconvinced.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

I wouldnt ride like the cyclist in the footage. I clearly think he ignored the vans signalled intent to change lanes, and go up the inside, and when blocked started in on the verbals. He should have given way to the van driver. The 2nd incident where the van overtakes the cyclist clearly looked a case of dangerous driving, but without it being reported by that cyclist nothing is likely to be done. 3rdly the cyclist with the cam lost his marbles and went to have a natter in a place that wasnt safe because of the 1st incident.
In terms of my own personal risk assessment I view that kind of cycling as the sort thats likely to get me killed if i did it. Im far happier just sitting in primary behind the van, and waiting.

Sorry about disagreeing but I just see it as the sort of typical commuter-cyclist-expects-right-of-way-behaviour i see all day long in london, and its this that gives cyclists a bad rep.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I just don't know about all these cyclists with cameras. I'm going to be the devil's advocate here: cameras seem to have opened up a whole can of worms in the world of commuting.

Lots of angry cyclists getting into unnecessary confrontations. Loads of self appointed 'road prefects' who are often wrong themselves. Loads of reported incidents that won't and can't get dealt with by the police further frustrating these videographers. The only plus side that I can see is using video evidence if something ACTUALLY happens. Too late perhaps. 99% of these videos are near misses. I have incidents like this on a daily basis. There must be thousands of these 'close call' videos. Little wonder the police can't deal with it. Whatever happened to defensive driving/cycling?

Surely I'm not the only cyclist out there who's getting bored of these shots of aggressive cyclists swearing at (I agree) incompetent drivers.

The 'us and them' gap is just widening. It's the culture and infrastructure that needs to change and having a bunch of self-appointed-civvie-police-cyclists doesn't seem to be helping. I've got to say that if someone rode up to me swearing I would wrap things up pretty quick. Possibly in their own panniers. Even these idiotic drivers are adults and they aren't going to listen to some ranting loon. Police don't lose their cool with the errant and incompetent. If you want to play police, take a calmer, rational and more professional approach and be an example to the cycling community.

Makes me glad that my 5 years cycle-commuting in London is a distant memory...hc

EDIT: I nearly used the word 'vigilante a couple of times but avoided it as to not further inflame an already passionate thread.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

[quote="aspiringcyclist"](excuse the swearing and rant, I was in a bad mood at the time)[\quote]

Loads of endorphins produced while cycling don't forget. I found getting into the right mind-set before setting out on my commute really helped keep me safe. There are ALWAYS going to be idiots out there and you can't let them spoil it for you. Let it wash over and enjoy your cycling....hc
aspiringcyclist

I don't understand some of these responses. I already said that I wouldn't report the first incident because it isn't anything to report: I was just in a bad mood on that ride. The driver in the video pointless went into the right hand lane when he was going ahead. It was a petty complaint, as I said.

The second incident is what made me angry and what I spoke to the driver about. Even if he didn't 'have a problem with cyclists', he still clearly drives terribly around them and feels that it is acceptable. Incompetent and confident driving isn't something to take lightly.
grani

Post by grani »

aspiringcyclist wrote:I don't understand some of these responses. I already said that I wouldn't report the first incident because it isn't anything to report: I was just in a bad mood on that ride. The driver in the video pointless went into the right hand lane when he was going ahead. It was a petty complaint, as I said.

The second incident is what made me angry and what I spoke to the driver about. Even if he didn't 'have a problem with cyclists', he still clearly drives terribly around them and feels that it is acceptable. Incompetent and confident driving isn't something to take lightly.

+1
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The comment about finally getting the editing software prompts me to ask "When did this happen?" In the absence of an accident, there can be no prosecution for dangerous, careless or inconsiderate driving if a Notice of Intended Prosecution is not served on the keeper or driver and that would have to be posted to arrive within 14 days of the alleged offence.

Based on the reported experience of others I'd say, don't waste your time trying to report this to the police, even if it's still within that fortnight.

Beyond that, my own experience with dealing with traffic offences (which pre-dates camcorders) makes me think that this would have been a non-starter, even in the days when the prosecution of traffic offences was a higher priority. I'm referring here to evidence for a prosecution and I can't see much of that in the footage. As is often the case, the effect of the lens here may tend to distort reality (eg the gas van on your offside at one point looks almost as long as a railway carriage.) A witness to the events may be corroborated by a vid but getting angry tends to reduce a witness's credibility.

While the overtake of the other rider didn't comply with the Highway Code, it didn't seem to bother the rider much eg he seemed to ride past during your exchange with the driver without even bothering to look what was going on.

Doubts have been expressed about confronting the driver. The only significant evidential value I can think of is that with a helmet camera, a mugshot of the driver would help identification if it were to be disputed.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

aspiringcyclist wrote:I don't understand some of these responses. I already said that I wouldn't report the first incident because it isn't anything to report: I was just in a bad mood on that ride. The driver in the video pointless went into the right hand lane when he was going ahead. It was a petty complaint, as I said.

The 1st incident is you cycling badly. No wonder you don't want to report it.

The 2nd incident is possibly the van driver at fault but that's up to the decision of the other cyclist to report it or not. So marginal I have my doubts. It's not up to you to confront members of the public about 3rd party incidents.

I don't think the police are going to be particularly interested in my opinion. I would leave it and start Monday's commute on a good note...hc
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't think anyone really needs to tell the OP (again) that the first 'incident' is his/her fault.

The second incident though, the cyclist would have been squished if he hadn't braked. If I were the cyclist in the incident I would want it reported. I probably would have asked for the OP's contact information and a copy of the video. I had something similar happen with a taxi people carrier once and it wasn't nice. But when I reported it, the police fobbed me off and the taxi company ignored me. :twisted:

p.s. aspiringcyclist, next time you post video, only include the bit that you want advice about ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
aspiringcyclist

Look, when I stopped for the van I was on his nearside and near the back of the van. You assume I was going to go through but you don't know that. I see no difference between stopping there and stopping directly behind the van. I can't remember exactly but I think that I didn't brake earlier because I was expecting the driver to move off by then.

The only reason that was in the video is because it directly proceeded the close overtake of the other cyclist, which is what I would report perhaps.

I don't think the excuse of the footage not showing an accurate representation of distance is valid in this case. There is no doubt that there was very little space.

Edit: didn't see Vorpal's post. Yes I will definitely take that on board...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Valbrona wrote:Added to that, the driver might also be an illegal..

An illegal what??
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker