Getting too cold.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CyberKnight

Re: Getting too cold.

Post by CyberKnight »

If its icy on the roads i dont go out unless its a commute , should have gone for a club run today ( 1st of the year due to illness , kids etc ) and i did not bother as the roads were slick off the beaten track and i have renauds + arthritis in thumb joints so my hands suffer if out for a long time when its sub zero.
11 am now and its 1 degree.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
boblo

Post by boblo »

When stop/starting cold/hot, I just carry a very lightweight Pertex windproof. Packed size of an apple/100g.

After a stop or on a downhill, slip it on. After you've warmed up or uphill take it off. I wear a base layer and a midweight soft shell top (Gore Contest) down to about - 5°c air temp (obviously with bibs, longs, overshoes, mitts and a buff). I run hot so I need the flexibility of the Pertex. BTW, if you also run hot, forget Buffalo for cycling, you'll boil unless it's Scandahooligan cold.

Second BTW, Montane Featherlight Pertex tops on sale at Needlesports for £30. Best bit of kit I own and I'm a gear freak.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

It was cracking flags today, a sultry 6-8C, shame there was a bit of a wind as the sun was lovely when out the breeze. 8)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Lidl has sold 100 gram cycling wind stopper tops in the past "Bike Extreme" @ less than £10, best 100 grams of anything I have bought, totally wind proof with hood, every cyclist should have one.
I have a womens "L" in plum colour, I will stick it in the sale section, new with tags, with some sizes, arm length, chest size etc.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I have a womens "L" in plum colour, I will stick it in the sale section, .

I'll give it a miss, but thanks.
I should coco.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+5degC out there now.
06:30
First morning without frost for over a week.

Looks like I'll be cycling in shorts later. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

For December through to February I am essentially off the bike, except for the odd lunchtime trip to the shops. I haven't found anything that will counteract the effects of wind chill in triggering Raynaud's phenomenon in my hands - once I start to chill, the fingers (and increasingly, the feet) just go, and nothing except whole-body heating will bring them back. It gets to the point I can't change gear or even brake safely. During November & March, I use electrically heated gloves, but they aren't enough by themselves. I've always been susceptible, but it has definitely got worse as the years pass. Fortunately, hiking, being slower and much less efficient, doesn't pose the same problems so I'm still getting some exercise (and also swimming).
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I wear a Ground Effect fleece which has a windfoil chest front, called a 'Baked Alaska' which keeps the windchill off but doesn't seem to make me sweat. In very cold weather I wear one of their fleeces with the windfoil stuff on both chest and arms, called 'Frosty Boy', which is a bit thicker in the fleece too. The backs of both are mesh so keep me dry if I sweat.
In very, very cold weather, I may wear a gillet under one or the other of them, if I expect to be stopping to draw I wear the lighter one and take the other for when I stop so I don't chill.
But you may well be going a lot faster than me.

The windfoil stuff seems to be pretty effective. One cold day I set off with the lighter one, and my arms got cold straight away - I went home and changed into the other, and I was fine and cosy on the ride without being too hot.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I've got a endura luminite commuter coat. Its a waterproof and is basically boil in the bag levels of breathability... I sweat a bit in it but when its really cold not much to be honest, and its completely wind proof. With that on I don't get cold coming down hills. I do have to unzip it when climbing though.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Hi Mick

Rode part of a 200k AUdax on Saturday which was below freezing at the start (7:30 am). I wore my new roubaix shirt with two merino base layers. At the 55k control, after some big hills I was cool but definitely dry. I then had lots of stops and starts due to the P*fairy and didn't get chilled as I wasn't sweaty. When I eventually stopped (bailed out into a B&B) I found my roubaix jacket was quite damp, the first merino layer had a couple of damp patches and the innermost layer was essentially dry. I'll admit to wearing my altura night vision gilet for the last 3 hours of the ride to keep a little warmer but this was due to the excessive number of stops I had to make.

Overall I was very pleased with my new jacket and baselayers.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I wear my 1994-1997 Marks and Spencer thermal underwear, a couple of long sleeve T shirts and a Freestyle Gore Tex jacket from 1993.

I do feel slightly colder at the end of a ride than I did 20 years ago but I put this down to being slower and able to generate less heat.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Maybe you should change the title of this post from getting to cold, to "getting to old".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Shorts and fleece top today :) (must be all of £9 for both, all my kit doesn't even come to £60, then there,s the £5 skip bike which owes me £ 80 all in.
Summers coming.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

10 deg c, and little wind predicted for sunday. toasty :lol: