Getting too cold.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Getting too cold.

Post by Mick F »

Right, ok.
Next time out .......... hopefully it will be cold ........... I'll try having only one base layer.

Thanks guys.
Chatting about these things always helps. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm somewhat behind MickF in chronological terms ;) so what follows is likely not all that useful...

But I'm currently sporting a long sleeve T Shirt and an ALDI gilet - not going as far, but also not in the mild of the deep south West, this does me down to about -3, maybe -5 (as indicated on my cheap cycle computer) - the major changes are gloves and a thin buff when it gets below -1, -2.

I'd be roasting in three baselayers, that's nearly up with the layering I wore my first commuting winter (when temperatures hit -9 and one colleague had to free his handbrake by jacking the car up and hitting it with a hammer).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:Right, ok.
Next time out .......... hopefully it will be cold ........... I'll try having only one base layer.

Thanks guys.
Chatting about these things always helps. :D

Can you pop another in a saddlebag?
You know, just in case ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Just undo the zip on your windslam for the uphill sections as a starter.
Flite

Post by Flite »

It's the hills that are the problem to be fair. The start of my "easy" route is a 40-50 minute climb, then all that height is lost in 5 minutes.
If folks ride on rolling terrain, there just isn't the difference in effort and speed, and so they don't have the same dilemma.
As others have said, I find a jacket with "breathable" windproof front, shoulders and arms, but with wicking sides and back works best.
Mine has underarm pit zips as well, but they are not often needed, I just lower the front zip a bit when going uphill.
If I'm really getting too hot, I lift the sides of my ear warmers, and dissipate heat fast.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On colder days cycling I think you have to accept to some teeth crunching before you warm up.
In the past with no breathability on my motorcycle greelaning gear I would sweat and then cool down with nowhere for the sweat to go.
When I say fleece I mean wind proof too.
I got my fleeced cycle tops cheap from Lidl several years ago, Zips were rubbish but I only paid a few quid each.
Blimey on 4 degree days its 100 gram wind proof top and one thin base layer with sleeves and I still sweat.
Three layers would make it tedious to vent.

Interestingly my cheap Lidl top is not disimmilar to Mick F's but they never give weights of cycling gear.
One how heavy to carry, Two how heavy will give and indication of thickness for insulation.
Mine weighs at 600 grams but does not have a fancy tailored cut.
originally too baggy for me (I have long arms so need large /xl) I cut it down and added and toggled elastic hem, new zip too, its also still a lose fit so I could get other layers underneath, but a slightly lose it means there is a air gap, saealed with elastic hem :wink:
If your top is tight (skin tight not too small) then when the wind blows the insulation is slightly compressed and cold spots appear like with a sleeping bag that's too tight.
Your top looks nice but mine in my modifications has reduced the underarm and thorax panel (non wind proof) too 2.5 " wide alround.
Also I don't have a back panel but as I always wear a rucksack problem solved.
From my walking days a rucksack has a hidden asset that it insulates your back where it fits................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Flite wrote:If folks ride on rolling terrain, there just isn't the difference in effort and speed, and so they don't have the same dilemma. .
That's my problem in a nutshell.

Still, I'll give it a go and see how much I freeze to death before I warm up. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:
Flite wrote:If folks ride on rolling terrain, there just isn't the difference in effort and speed, and so they don't have the same dilemma. .
That's my problem in a nutshell.

Still, I'll give it a go and see how much I freeze to death before I warm up. :lol:

That's fair enough. If I had a flat commute, I wouldn't sweat up my 1000 foot climb to work, and I wouldn't need an extra layer for going home.

I also wouldn't have such nice views :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I always carry a sheet of newspaper in the winter. If I'm starting to get chilled I put it under the top layer - an old idea but it prevents the chest getting chilled.
binsted

Post by binsted »

Mick F wrote:
The fat commuter wrote:What layers are you wearing?
I had three good quality base layers, and topped with this.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-ro ... 5360565796
dhb-Windslam-Roubaix-Long-Sleeve-Jersey-Long-Sleeve-Jerseys-Red-A0684.jpg

This top is absolutely excellent. It vents round the back and under the arms.

My bottom half was fine. Padded cycling shorts under Adidas cycling bib tights.

When I took my gear off, the tops were damp right through. This therefore tells me that not enough of my sweat was evaporating away and I chilled down as it tried to evaporate on the long fast downhills.

I suppose that I was overdressed. The gear is good quality and one of the base layers is Marino, the bottom one was a Gore base layer and the middle one was a Lidl one. Maybe I should have cut down to just the Marino, and been cold, but with work I could get warm .............. but dry.

Yes, maybe overdressed?

I would be inclined to drop the marino base layer or go with a technical one, (don't like marino for cycling) Just got back from 40miles, HH Technical long sleeve base layer, club long sleeve jersey and soft-shell top, perfect, 2750ft ascent and a few downs, only bit of me cold was my feet but thats normal.

Oh and I didn't stop for coffee :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I thought of this thread when I was out today. I realised that sometimes, at least my solution is more or less what TC said above. I have a Cannondale wind blocker jersey that is wind blocking material on the front and arms, and lycra on the back.

My computer says it was -2, but I think it was a little above freezing. Ice was metling in the sun, and it felt fairly warm. But there was a fierce, cold wind.

I wore:
-thermal tights
-wool socks
-hiking boots
-merino base layer top
-cycling jersey (short sleeved summer top)
-wind blocker jersey
-sealskinz gloves
-merino glove liners
-ear warmer/headband
-helmet

I also wore my cycling jacket for the first few miles, but took it off once I warmed up. I carried an extra layer for my legs, but I didn't need it.

I certainly would have been cold if I stopped for any length of time, and my fingers got cold when I stopped to take a few pictures, but they warmed up again when I got going :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
David_S

Post by David_S »

I hate the cold being tall and skinny. Not too clever living in Cumbria. Also hilly so suffer from MikeF's problem. Feet are worst. I wear two pairs of socks and two pairs of overshoes including GribGrab Arctic, and still cold. Does anyone else do this.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

In the past I got very anal about what to wear.
My "solution" was to check what the feels like temperature was going to be and then decide on how many layers etc.

I then made my personal list according to temperature.

From memory it was something like this.

16c+ = shorts, short sleeve top

14-16 = shorts , short sleeve top +arm warmers

10- 14 = shorts= leg warmers, short sleeve top +arm warmers + thin jacket.

And so on until -5- to -10 = stay home unless I had to go.

As I say this was mine and personal to me,my wife used her own which was always more clothing.
We are all different so what was right for me was not right for anyone else.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you put too much on, it may be too tight & not do a good job insulating. I size winter stuff one or two sizes to big to leave plenty of room for extra wool socks :)

Also, cycling shoes can transfer cold through the cleats. You can go up a size of two and use extra insoles or foot warmers. I don't use clipless, but I know several people who don't use cycling shoes in winter because they were never able to keep their feet warm in them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not suffering from the cold much, 3/4 legging at zero C, fleeced wind top zero C :)

BUT to keep feet warmer add leg clothes and wear gaiters.
Like said DONT wear tight clothes and don't cram your feet in shoes with extra socks unless your feet are nice and comfortable.
Cycling garb is normally tight, and tight leggings will feel colder than baggy but as long as your legs feel warm when moving that's OK, Final top layer needs some slack.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.