Kingston upon Thames to Redhill route?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vinko

Kingston upon Thames to Redhill route?

Post by Vinko »

Hello,

I wonder if there are any thoughts on cycling from Kingston Upon Thames to Redhill?

I appreciate its not a huge distance, but does anyone know if the A240 or A217 has any cycle path running alongside it? Or is it just head down and put up with the traffic there?

Maybe pick a way around via Nonsuch Park, Banstead Road and stay to the East of Banstead?

Thank you to any suggestions.
Neil C

Re: Kingston upon Thames to Redhill route?

Post by Neil C »

Parts of the A240 have cycle paths or service roads but other parts don't and are pretty hostile. Not much relief from horrible traffic on the A217 either.

Depends exactly where you are starting but I would head towards Nonsuch Park, Belmont Station, up Sutton Lane (B2128), past the end of Banstead High Street, down Park Road, Right at Outwood Lane, first left up Hazlewood Lane ( this bit is steep ) and right at the top onto High Road.

Then you have a choice. Either left into Markedge Lane and through Merstham, South Merstham and on to Redhill. Or continue all the way along High Road until it rejoins the A217 just before the M25, head towards Reigate and cut across through the backstreets to Redhill.
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Neil,

Thanks very much for that. Much appreciated, looking at a map I wasn't sure.

I am fine to Nonsuch (I have to make a stop at New Malden). I am pulling a trailer too so just wondered if anyone had local knowledge and your suggestion is greatly received. Thanks again.
PRL

Post by PRL »

I tried CycleStreets:
http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/43351428/
Their Quiet Route is definitely off-road exploration
Their Fastest Route is probably as hostile as suggested
The Balanced Route is much as you suggested.

An alternative is to go via Leatherhead, then Mole Gap to Dorking (there is a good cycle path here and it is nearly flat ) and East along the A25 (not awful)
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

I recently rode through Kingston and on to explore the lanes in the downs just north of Redhill. I got there by riding via Tolworth, the B284 to Epsom, Epsom Downs, Tadworth, then a short section of the A217 before cutting off left into the lanes.

The A217 has no cycle path S. of Tadworth and is busy and noisy, but did not feel dangerous.

I did not go down the hill into Redhill but the map suggests that by going into the back lanes, it would be possible to use Chipstead Lane, Markedge Lane, Gatton Bottom and Rocky Lane to get through to there. If you do go via Chipstead Lane, (left off the A217 just south of Tadworth), I can recommend the Well House pub there for real ales or cider.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

jgurney wrote:The A217 has no cycle path S. of Tadworth and is busy and noisy, but did not feel dangerous.

I was brought up in Banstead, and have lived there for various stretches. Many years ago I did cycle on the A217 from time to time if I was in a hurry. But it felt increasingly less safe as time went on and eventually I decided to avoid it as a matter of routine. If you are the kind of person who cycles A-road dual carriageways, I suppose the best that can be said for it is that it has a speed limit, it isn't a 70mph dual carriageway. I also increasingly sought to avoid the B2219 Holly Lane between Banstead centre and Outwood Lane - just too narrow for such quantities of fast traffic - using Park Road as suggested above instead.

Once you get to Chipstead there are 2 sensible routes to Redhill and not much to choose between them.
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

Thank you all, this is a real help and extremely appreciated.