How Heavy is too Heavy?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vantage

How Heavy is too Heavy?

Post by Vantage »

It was suggested to me by some of the chaps from the bike club that whilst I indeed needed to get a little fitter, my bike also needed to go on a diet.
After nearly dying from exhaustion at the café stop 20 miles from starting, I made an estimate that my bike weighed around 50lb and the guys there having picked it up agreed, it was a ton. My huge lock in particular was blamed for most of that weight.
After limping home at snail pace from being worn out, I weighed it. 50lb dead on. That actually surprised me as I was thinking I'd overestimated the 'around 50lb' statement. Dawes themselves listed the bike alone as 31lb off the shelf.
The lock itself is 5.5lb and whilst that is heavy, I'd rather a slow bike than no bike if some thieving scumbag stole it. The lock, saddlebag, pump, tubes, tools, etc weigh in at 11lb. Other than the drink bottles and suspension post, I've no idea where the other 8lb comes from as most stock parts on the bike have been replaced with 'I think' lighter bits over the years.
Do I actually as reported in the post ride report, excluding fully loaded world tourers, own the heaviest bike in the world?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Ben@Forest

Re: How Heavy is too Heavy?

Post by Ben@Forest »

Not even close. The Flying Pigeon, China's best selling bike (and the world's best selling bike) though sales are now declining, weighs in at 44lb. And that is without your pump, water bottle, load of rice to sell at the market, etc, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Pigeon#mediaviewer/File:PA-02-flyingpigeonnyc.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

What is the lock? I carry two compromise (weight-v-security) locks of different types so the swines probably need two tools. My bike's no object of desire, but I also don't want a long walk home.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
alant82

Post by alant82 »

A lighter bike will make the going easier, but not if it's at the expense of comfort. My recumbent trike is probably approaching 50lb without luggage but it's so comfortable that I can happily pedal it all day, though I won't be keeping up with serious roadies.
Alan
ICE Sprint 26
Bacchetta Giro 26
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

How much do you weigh? maybe thats the way to lose some weight? and do you self a favour at the same time. Thats what I am doing. lost 17 lbs in the last year without trying too hard
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

This is always a tough call. Many of us report that out light skinny tyred bikes are within 1MPH of our heavy bikes. If you're barely keeping up, that 1MPH can change your experience dramatically.

It isn't the be all and end all though. For example, if you are running marathon + tyres, a change to a different tyre (not necessarily skinny, see the voyager hyper folding threads) could well make up half that difference.

Are you using your gears well? Does increasing your cadence help? Are you as aero dynamic as you can be? Is clothing very loose (not suggesting a speed skaters outfit) but somthing that isn't billowy can help. Can you stand some periods on the drops (that's worth another gear tooth to me)?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Where are you losing pace? Up hills? On the flat? Both?

Weight makes more of a difference on climbs, obviously. Rolling resistance makes a difference all the time. Aero makes more difference at speed, but if you're able to sit in a group then it's less of a deal. Fitness is an omnipresent factor, too, of course.

That said, there's no doubting that 50lb is one hell of a weight and it'll make a palpable difference when it comes to maintaining momentum on rolling terrain. My disc-braked, fat-tyred, dynamo-lit tourer and my summer bike weigh 50lb added together, lights and pumps and all (though without bottles)—and they're 63cm bikes built for a 14st bloke. I certainly wouldn't want to be dragging two entire bikes round when I could just drag one, to be honest. Do you really need 11lb of lock and tools? :shock:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Or your mates could bring more with ;)

I used to take Mini V on club runs in a child seat, which includes not only the child, but of course, a change of clothes, wipes, and all of the other stuff I have to haul around with kids. I also did some club runs pregnant. The only time I ever felt exhausted at 20 miles was when I got the bonk. Are you sure you didn't have a food / water intake problem rather than a weight problem?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

My own bike is the weight of two normal road bikes, in fact would say three after getting a new one!!! Mine is one of the stupidly heavy double disc, double suspension mountain bikes made with a an over engineered frame. To solve this problem use Oregon 2-Stroke Chainsaw Oil plus lightweight Halo Combat wheels. Plus have also fitted Shimano Megarange gearing and are now changing to E-Bike tyres. So far have managed at least one higher gear so must be doing something right!
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Are your scales accurate? Even with a 5.5lb lock :shock: (just why is the question I have to ask) how much extra kit do you take out with you to make all that extra weight, are you taking full size tools with you too?
My own bike is a just under 15kg including all the kit I need, the 2x mid-large pannier bags with tools, lock, pump, 2x tubes & various bungee straps are 2.8kg, then mudguards/rack, front light, 2 back lights, Video camera, computer & two cages take up the rest of the 'add-ons'.
I know how it feels to have an extra 10kg in the bags so to have to lug that around 'unladen' as it were must be hard work.
I can't get my head around a 5.5lb lock though..
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Wowzers! Lots of questions :)
Okie dokie,

@mjr: The lock is an Oxford HD 900mm. Evans insurance state that I need a sold secure silver rated lock to be covered. At the time I bought it, this was gold rated and at £30 I wasn't going to pass on it. I haven't really looked up the weights of other silver rated locks, but they all look similarly beefy, yet far more expensive. My way of thinking is that an opportunist thief might see my old mans uncool tourer with a big beefy lock alongside a much snappier carbon bling cool racing bike secured with one of those brake cable thin toy locks and leave mine alone :?

@mercalia: No issues with personal weight, I'm 5'4" and 145lb. An anorexic fly could topple me.

@iandriver: I have a love/hate relationship with Voyagers. I love how light, fast and supple they are (I'm a good 1mph on avg faster with them) but recently had a series of neverending pu**tures and I do feel uneasy using them for that reason. On club runs though, they're definitely required.
Increasing my cadence (not that I've measured it) does help for a short period, but it isn't without its pitfalls. I'll get to this later...
Much to my other half's amusement, I'm lycra'd up for anything over 10 miles. I can't say I'm all that comfy on the drops tbh. The rear view mirror tends to get in the way but even on the rare occasions when I did manage it, I felt as though I wasn't able to put in as much power from my legs. For a brief period though, it does seem easier tucked in. As for aerodynamics, well it's a tourer. About as aerodynamically slippery as a double decker bus :lol: The bars are about an inch lower than the saddle and on the odd chance that I've caught sight of myself while passing one of those mirrored buildings (seriously, who hasn't taken a peek as they did the same? :wink: ) I'm nowhere close to the sit up and beg position.

@stewartpratt: Losing them on the hills, definitely. On the flat is no problem (not a huge problem anyway) because as you say, I'm usually following and can tuck in and draft when I need to and the Voyager's are wonderful tyres when it comes to easy rolling.
The question of whether I really need what I have on the bike is one that had me starting this thread really. Whilst in my own little world I can find perfectly good logical reasons for what I carry, I am questioning that mentality :shock:

@vorpal: I do wonder about trying to sell the club the idea that if they all carried a few bricks in their bags, they would have to work harder with the benefit that it would make them fitter in the long term, but I doubt they'd buy it :)
Suffering the bonk early is indeed a very real problem for me, but not because of lack of drink or food. My diabetes is particularly troublesome and has been all my life and has caused some added long lasting problems. Not least, my legs, the right one especially. X-rays have shown that all 3 main arteries below the knee are so clogged that the x-ray can't see through them. The doc can't give me a time frame, but has said that eventually, I'm very likely to lose the leg. The current issue is that my legs tire very quickly and I even need a walking stick to get around these days. Sooooooooooo, pushing hard as wiggo for long periods is somewhat difficult and trying to make the wonky legs work hard enough to keep up with the other chaps doesn't half wear me down which of course, sets off the hypo's and that in turn makes working hard even more difficult which makes the hypo's worse and around and around we go :) Great stuff :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
CJ

Post by CJ »

If riding by yourself and not in any great hurry, or with others who are either no stronger than you or likewise not in a hurry, a 50lb bike is no problem.

But if you want to ride with a bunch of sporty types, keen to 'get a good workout' or in other words show off how fit they are - and you're not - you'll need all the help you can get!

In any case, a 5.5lb lock is totally necessary outside of the wicked city. A minimal cable lock will do for short stops in low-risk rural areas, especially when you're out with a group who (as we've already heard) will all have parked much more desirable bikes than yours! And the whole point of your heavy bike is durability. Let stronger riders carry the heavy tools (if they need for their weaker bikes) and cut yours down to one multitool, one inner tube and a puncture kit.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Tonyf33 wrote:Are your scales accurate? Even with a 5.5lb lock :shock: (just why is the question I have to ask) how much extra kit do you take out with you to make all that extra weight, are you taking full size tools with you too?
My own bike is a just under 15kg including all the kit I need, the 2x mid-large pannier bags with tools, lock, pump, 2x tubes & various bungee straps are 2.8kg, then mudguards/rack, front light, 2 back lights, Video camera, computer & two cages take up the rest of the 'add-ons'.
I know how it feels to have an extra 10kg in the bags so to have to lug that around 'unladen' as it were must be hard work.
I can't get my head around a 5.5lb lock though..

I wouldn't stake my right leg on it, but the scales seem fairly accurate. I just tested this as best I can. A quoted 25.5g Fudge bar came in at 26g and a quoted 57g Cadburys Nutrigrain bar came in at 59g.
Reason for the heavy lock as above^^^
But here's the kit list as weighed earlier today...

Emergency snacks...thanks to diabetes...
Jelly babies 198g/7oz
3 Nutrigrain bars 118g/4oz
2 Fudge bars 53g/1.8oz
Glucose powder for drinks bottle 62g/2oz

Camera (in case I wanna take a piccie) 300g/10.5oz
Basic first aid kit which includes a couple quid 54g/2oz
Emergency blanket incase of horrific injuries from being run over by a 45ton truck, or squished by my heavy bike! :lol: 50g/1.7oz

Tissues (don't want a snotty glove) 22g/0.7oz
Mitts (might get rid of these as summer is nowhere close) 44g/1.3oz
3 inner tubes (no confidence at all in Hyper Voyagers pu**ture resistance) 388g/13.5oz
Pu**ture kit (as above) 23g/1oz
Crank bros 17 tool 170g/6oz
Pump 223g/8oz
Cloth (for wiping mucky hands after flat repairs) 32g/1oz
Tyre levers 30g/1oz
Spare AA batteries for the garmin (guaranteed they'll die while I'm lost) 53g/2oz
6" adjustable spanner (I'm not the only nut on my bike) 140g/5oz
Lock 2486g/87oz/couple tons
Bag for the lock (the reason for this is that the wretched thing rattles like a rusty gate in the pendle and it drives me nuts) 234g/8oz
Pendle 610g/21.5 oz

11lb right there and oddly enough I see valid reasons for everything in that list. Maybe I'm just a drama queen :shock:
Bill

Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I did a 25 mile ride the other weekend on my Bakfiets long john with my seven year old daughter in the front. Even without the child I suspect I was over the 50lb mark - definitely heavier with.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Personally I dont think your bike is over heavy. My Salsa Vaya loaded up with water and everything for a days ride including a heavy Asus cable lock weighs in at about 20 kg (44lb). The big thing I did last year was to loose 48 lbs of flab taking my BMI to a healthy 25. Halfway through the year I saw the quack when I fell off and hurt my shoulder. He peered at his PC and pronounced my type 2 diabetes is gone and told me to stop taking any pills. Hills are now somewhat easier.
If I want to fly along I ride my old Mercian which is about 12 kg with water, spare tube, skinny lock, plastic tyre levers a couple of allen keys and CO2 inflator. Your kit seems to be a bit of an overkill to me, kitchen sink springs to mind. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......