Webcam reporting driver behaviour

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tonyf33

Re: Webcam reporting driver behaviour

Post by Tonyf33 »

661-Pete wrote:I should point out that I invested in a camera last year, and have since obtained many hours of footage, including all my commutes during the summer months. I've left it off during the winter, because it's handlebar/stem mounted and there's no room for it alongside both the light and computer.

Perhaps I should figure out a way of mounting it along with the light, after all. I don't have a h*lmet and other means of head mounting have not so far worked out very well. And I don't fancy those handlebar-extension mounts (Topeak etc.). I suppose I could leave off the computer, seeing as it doesn't work anyway when the lights are on (the pulsing LEDs interfere with the radio signal).

Having said that: number of interesting 'incidents' I have captured with the camera, so far: nil.

Perhaps it's just that I don't go 'looking for trouble'.

My first outing with my camera in December & within 7 minutes I'd captured my first numpty cutting in on me just before a junction :evil: I even cussed that he'd saved all of 3 seconds and pedalled past the roundabout & he catch me up 30 seconds later when he honked me for giving him the evil eyes..eejit.
Week before last I failed to switch it on as I turned out my street only to be nearly rammed by a stupid bint exiting the street next to mine..a camera is important these days and is going to be a very useful tool to take up the fight against errant road users whether the police like it or not..
That the police seem to pick & choose randomly what they will allow (or indeed the CPS) needs to be addressed fast, if evidence from 'CCTV' attached to a persons house or business property is suffice why is not a camera that happens to be located elsewhere. That aspect is completely baffling & illogical :?
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 3 Feb 2015, 3:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

661-Pete wrote:Anyway, I've discovered that editing the 'interesting' few seconds out of an hour-long video (which is about as much as the SD card will hold at a time) is a tedious business...

Record in shorter intervals (5min?) can make it easier to manage - but for ease of editing a clip use MPEG Streamclip to mark the in and out points from the footage you have (drag the cursor to start and press 'i' then drag cursor to end and press 'o') and then go to 'File' and either save as or export in the format you want. Jobs a good 'un. :wink:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:Having said that: number of interesting 'incidents' I have captured with the camera, so far: nil.

Perhaps it's just that I don't go 'looking for trouble'.

I too worried I'd wasted my money on a camera (although this cost me just £8 iirc), I recorded the following just 15 minutes after I'd first attached it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMz4HfHeWQA&feature=plcp

Having said that I haven't had a camera on my bike for a few years now - the downside being I've missed recording around 4 or 5 events that I'd consider to be worse than that.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Postboxer wrote:More from him here I think, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... tions.html

Trouble is, that very same article in the Torygraph links to this. And who says Dave Sherry is 'Britain's Most Hated Cyclist'? Why the very same Torygraph for sure! Where is their evidence? Where are the opinion poll findings to back up that remark?

The one thing that is guaranteed to get us nowhere, is this constant slanging off of what Little England perceives as an outgroup. But the self-same outgroup shouldn't do likewise in retaliation. I repeat, I have no incidents on camera to report.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
RickH

Post by RickH »

He must live in a particularly bad area, or I'm particularly insensitive, as I'm struggling to get into double figures thinking of incidents that would be worth reporting. Even looking right back to when I started cycling in the 1970s. :?

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

It depends on the incidents, though. I hardly hardly ever have trouble with drivers cutting me up, but I see them using mobile phones every day. :(
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think the Police could achieve a lot by just acting on webcam footage and not necessarily prosecuting. Extreme cases prosecute. But for those other offences, those it sounds like they currently ignore, they could have a really good impact by just going and "having a chat" with the offender. Show them the video, get them worried, ask them how they justify it and tell them that on this occasion they will just record the offence in case there are further instances reported. That would probably make the offending driver be more careful and considerate in future, but far more importantly, word would spread that the Police were acting on driving offences. At present drivers know there is virtually no chance of them being stopped for such offences (automated speed detection being the only real offence they may be caught on). A few visits by the Police about other things and word would get around and it would start making many feel that they were more likely to get caught. i.e. the Police were actually starting to do some enforcement.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Apparently the Yorkshire version of Inside Out (7:30pm tonight 9 Feb) will feature something similar. Alerted by my wife, I watched the trailer on the Harold Bird Show (AKA BBC Look North) and it wasn't very promising.