Anyone not get frozen fingers today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Highkicker79

Anyone not get frozen fingers today

Post by Highkicker79 »

It was -5 today. For my 30 minute commute into work I wore a pair of Gore Tex winter gloves with a secondary generic woolly pair of mitts on the inside but still my fingers felt like they were going to drop off.

Anyone got some gloves combo that keeps your fingers warm for over 30 minutes in temperatures like today?

TIA
NUKe

Re: Anyone not get frozen fingers today

Post by NUKe »

I didn't but it wasnt that cold here however for those sorts of temperatures you are better with lobster mittens or depending on howyou change gear full mittens
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-handle-bar-mitten/
something like
Last edited by NUKe on 2 Feb 2015, 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by pwa »

Yep, for warmth keeping your fingers together in lobster mitts is best.
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

Ordered a pair of SealSkinz Lobster mitts. Won't arrive for a couple of days so just gotta deal with it in the mean time. Tempted to heat my gloves up with a hair dryer in the morning so it'll at least keep my fingers warm for the first 5 minutes.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Core temperature as well can affect hand temps, make sure the body is warm and don't overwork in this weather.
NUKe

Post by mjr »

Trespass were selling off salt-based reusable handwarmers for £4/2 a week or two ago. I activate them and drop them into my sealskinz mittens. They don't stay hot long enough to work for the full trip (unlike the single-use 8 hour ones), so I leave the mittens on the radiator for a while before leaving home and use the handwarmers for the return, after I've had to mess about with keys and cold bike locks!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
grani

Post by grani »

Wore my regular roomy leather gloves with thinsulate instead of my cycling gloves and it was excellent. I did wear alot on my body with several layers and a buff.

All in all a slow 45 minutes in -6C but never really got cold.
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

Ordered my new SealSkinz gloves but couldn't bare the thought of my poor fingers in the few days in between so I popped out to a local outdoor adventure store and bought a couple of those re-usable hand warmers (like these ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Gel-Reusa ... d_sxp_f_pt).

Sticking them in my gloves will more than do the job for my journey home. If they work well enough then I may buy another pair so I have a pair for the journey to work, and another pair for the journey home.
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

My Sealskinz winter cycling gloves do not let me down despite living in Scotland!
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

Gloves in my experience are not good when it's really cold. I've got a pair of lobster mitts - which are better.
The best mitts I ever had cost £10 and were simple fleece mittens with a waterproof cover. The only problem I ever had with 'em was having to take 'em off 'cos my hands got too hot.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

About -4 here this morning when I was riding into work. I just have bog standard leather gloves - probably not the nest for comfort, but my fingers don't notice the cold at all.

It's my ears that get cold. Thought they were going to drop off.
Highkicker79

Post by Highkicker79 »

The fat commuter wrote:About -4 here this morning when I was riding into work. I just have bog standard leather gloves - probably not the nest for comfort, but my fingers don't notice the cold at all.

It's my ears that get cold. Thought they were going to drop off.

I have a full face balaclava that just has an opening for the eyes. Does a great job at keeping my ears, cheeks, neck and everything else warm (except the eye area). I actually have two so I can wash one while I'm using the other, but on cold days like these, I can double up and then my face feels like it's a really warm summer's day. Just make sure you tuck in the bottom of the balaclava into your jacket so wind doesn't rush up inside.
macotheisles

Post by macotheisles »

When I were a lad, cycling 30 miles up the A939 Cockbridge to Tomintoul Road to the village school at 6 o'clock in a 1960s January blizzard we didn't even know about gloves. All we had to keep us warm was our grey serge school shorts, string vest (if we were lucky) and a cap; plus the hope that there was enough peat and turnips to keep the one stove in the whole school burning till home time. Thermal gloves? Luxury!
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

In my clay pigeon shooting days,I used something like these. They "burned" for quite some while run on lighter fuel. ( I never had any problems with them)

But may be too bulky to fit inside gloves.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FireFly-Reusabl ... rmers+bulk
barbelfisher

Post by barbelfisher »

I purchased a really nice pair of lobster gloves from Aldi recently, and most stores now have a large amount of cycling gear at well reduced prices, so it might be worth a look at a store near you, if you have one.

barbelfisher