What I forgot to put in my saddlebag

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
IanH

Re: What I forgot to put in my saddlebag

Post by IanH »

If you report the loss on the police web site, you may be lucky. Reporting in person at the local police station, if you can find one nearby (and open), is long-winded and, possibly a waste of valuable police time as they painfully record all the information. If you were considering an insurance claim, a police report would be required.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I remember handing one bit of lost property over to the police, many years ago, which they certainly wouldn't have let me keep!

It was a clip of live rifle ammunition - standard army issue .303 calibre if I remember right. I just found it lying on the road. That time I felt it was my duty to go straight to the nearest Cop shop (there were more in existence then, than now), but as luck would have it, I spotted a copper on the beat a bit further on in my ride, so I handed it to him. I certainly wasn't keen to carry it in my pocket any further than necessary!

That time, at least, the Cop got really excited about the find, insisted on taking all my full details, name and address and all, and asking me to describe in detail exactly how I had found it. He explained, this was as a precaution, "just in case it was involved in a crime". But he agreed with me that this scenario was highly unlikely, it was probably just a bit of lost property, like most things you find in the road.

Anyway, I was glad to be relieved of this particular piece of 'lost property', and I heard no more about it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:It was a clip of live rifle ammunition - standard army issue.the Cop ... agreed with me that this scenario..., it was probably just a bit of lost property, like most things you find in the road.
it.

what next a sub machne gun just lying in the gutter or a hand grenade :lol: some one has been VERY careless :roll:
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

mercalia wrote:
661-Pete wrote:It was a clip of live rifle ammunition - standard army issue.the Cop ... agreed with me that this scenario..., it was probably just a bit of lost property, like most things you find in the road.
it.

what next a sub machne gun just lying in the gutter or a hand grenade :lol: some one has been VERY careless :roll:

If it was .303 it must have been quite a while ago - if it was dropped by some squaddie - since that hasn't been standard issue sine the move to FN Browning SLR using 7.62 NATO. Of course it might have a clip for a Lee Enfield rifle that was privately owned as I believe these were very popular with the hunting fraternity. These days of course the thing to do would be not touch it and dial 999 on your mobile - armed response would then be with you in pretty short order.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mercalia wrote: what next a sub machne gun just lying in the gutter or a hand grenade :lol: some one has been VERY careless :roll:

You couldn't make it up, well you could but you don't have to, cyclist finds machine gun :shock: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Elizabethsdad wrote:If it was .303 it must have been quite a while ago - if it was dropped by some squaddie - since that hasn't been standard issue sine the move to FN Browning SLR using 7.62 NATO. Of course it might have a clip for a Lee Enfield rifle that was privately owned as I believe these were very popular with the hunting fraternity. These days of course the thing to do would be not touch it and dial 999 on your mobile - armed response would then be with you in pretty short order.

Why is it an emergency? :roll: A mag of rounds (ancient field find or otherwise) don't just randomly explode and harm people, they need matching weapons or extreme conditions to go off (in heat bullets don't 'fire' anyway which is just hollywood nonsense). In the case of just a magazine clip with ammo (which could well likely be blanks anyway) it would be a total waste of resources to call up any particular unit. Just pick it up using a glove/bag if you are afraid of putting your prints on it and hand it into the nearest station. They can then call the correct people to dispose of munitions live or otherwise.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Elizabethsdad wrote:If it was .303 it must have been quite a while ago - if it was dropped by some squaddie
It was - IIRC this happened in the 1970s. I recognised the ammo from having played at soldiers in the school CCF not all that long before...

These days of course the thing to do would be not touch it and dial 999 on your mobile - armed response would then be with you in pretty short order.
Sure - and doubtless I'd be spreadeagled on the side of the car whilst they went through my every particular... :shock: But you're right, I probably shouldn't have picked the clip up. Ah well, I was young in those days...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Given enough heat a round will go off, but without the barrel it won't go very far, and the casing will go as far the other way... Assuming it stays intact, which is unlikely, it needs a barrel to have enough strength to hold the gasses...

Enough heat is reasonably high value

Primers will cook off at about 400F, single base powder at 600F and double base at 320F.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Re: What I forgot to put in my saddlebag....

Post by gaz »

Riderinthemist appears to have been expelled, which strikes me as fair and proportional moderation.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Re: What I forgot to put in my saddlebag....

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:Riderinthemist appears to have been expelled, which strikes me as fair and proportional moderation.

+1
Though I doubt it'll trouble him/her.
If it is a current member posting under another name or a 'new' member,they've got an odd sense of humour IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

As a postscript to this thread the post by RiderInTheMist, which made it very credible in my eyes, was the fact that he claimed he'd been punctured by hedge trimmings. The truth is that about 1/4 mile after I'd adjusted my saddle I did in fact pass a tractor cutting the hedge. It's probably the one and only time I'm unhappy about NOT getting a puncture.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freeflow wrote:As a postscript to this thread the post by RiderInTheMist, which made it very credible in my eyes, was the fact that he claimed he'd been punctured by hedge trimmings. The truth is that about 1/4 mile after I'd adjusted my saddle I did in fact pass a tractor cutting the hedge. It's probably the one and only time I'm unhappy about NOT getting a puncture.

Has he returned your saddlebag?
A half decent human being would've if they knew of the the person it belonged to.
If he's made no attempt to return it,then make up your own mind as to his sense of humour.
If he has returned it then his sense of humour is still suspect due to the thread started by him.
W H Auden
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

No, he admitted he didn't have my saddlebag and was just having a bit of fun.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freeflow wrote:

No, he admitted he didn't have my saddlebag and was just having a bit of fun.

Much mirth and merriment was had by all.....

.....NOT :? .
Then Rider Who Isn''t Missed is a troll,and the forum's the better off without him/her :) .
W H Auden