What I forgot to put in my saddlebag

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Re: What I forgot to put in my saddlebag

Post by Psamathe »

freeflow wrote:House keys and money always go in my back pocket.

I don't have secure pockets. But I get stupidly paranoid about having a key on a string around my neck. It's never happened but I could imagine the key adopting a nasty position as I fall towards the ground and inflicting a nasty injury. Same when sailing; after a capsize on re-boarding I can imagine the key swinging to a rather nasty angle and inflicting a nasty injury as I land on the deck (dinghy sailing). Maybe I'm too paranoid.

Ian
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Been there done that, left a front wheel behind, to bits n pieces out of a bag when doing a repair. Mind you a lot of my tools and bits n pieces have resulted from items i have found on the roadside.. :lol:
I have honestly handed in wallets and a mobile phone etc., but the odd ownerless spanner......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Psamathe wrote:
freeflow wrote:House keys and money always go in my back pocket.

I don't have secure pockets. But I get stupidly paranoid about having a key on a string around my neck. It's never happened but I could imagine the key adopting a nasty position as I fall towards the ground and inflicting a nasty injury. Same when sailing; after a capsize on re-boarding I can imagine the key swinging to a rather nasty angle and inflicting a nasty injury as I land on the deck (dinghy sailing). Maybe I'm too paranoid.

Ian

I don't usually cary stuff in my pockets. I came off a horse once and landed on my hip. I had a wallet in my hip pocket that left an imprint :shock: I had a wallet-shaped bruise for more than a week.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Re: What I forgot to put in my saddlebag....

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:at different times i've forgotten my spare tube, tyre levers, pump, lock key, chain tool and even the whole bag! Luckily i've got away with it every time except the lock key (had to walk three miles home to get the key which was safely on the kitchen table!) :lol:

Tip
I bought three locks with the same six keys.
I leave the key in the lock and each lock stays in their respective bag,a spare on my house keys,a further spare on the car keys,and the sixth one on the caravan keys :wink: .

To the OP.
If the bag and contents are worth a fair bit,it maybe worth making a sign asking if anyone's found it and sticking it up where you left it,with your phone number on and a worthwhile reward.
A long shot but you never know some good willed soul maybe wondering what to do with someone else's bag and contents.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote: ....I have honestly handed in wallets and a mobile phone etc.,

Been there done that,mostly mobiles usually phone ''Mum'' in the menu and leave it at a cafe for the owner to pick up.

but the odd ownerless spanner......

Those are regarded as ''finders keepers'' but last summer I did pass on a 3ft long adjustable spanner,I'm no weight weenie but a line has to be drawn somewhere :shock: .
I stood it up by the roadside prominently,I reckon it fell out of a tractor.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I sometimes 'help myself' to the odd Allen key if I find one lying around in the road. After all, I'm constantly losing the wretched things myself, so it seems more like 'fair exchange'. Trouble is, whenever I want to do a quick roadside adjustment, it's invariably the right size one that's still missing, whilst I have duplicates in all the other sizes...

The guy who invents the 'adjustable' Allen key deserves a Nobel Prize, in my estimation (OK perhaps someone will chime in here and say, it's already been done...)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Chillipig wrote:The cop shop doesn't take lost gear anymore I don't think?

I hope that's not entirely true. I did pick up a wallet lying in the road a few years ago, and dutifully handed it in to the Police: they thanked me and said they'd restore it to its owner. It had credit cards and a driving licence in it (which would have made finding the owner a doddle, I think) but no cash. I was wondering whether it had been dumped by a thief only took only the cash, but the cop didn't seem to be suspicious.

But, as you say, it's quite possible that the Plod aren't interested in taking on unidentifiable lost property of low value. Perhaps you should take it to a charity shop?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Grandad wrote:and it's not easy removing the front wheel of a car :oops:

Someone out there evidently finds it easy enough....
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

reohn2 wrote:
eileithyia wrote: ....I have honestly handed in wallets and a mobile phone etc.,

Been there done that,mostly mobiles usually phone ''Mum'' in the menu and leave it at a cafe for the owner to pick up.

but the odd ownerless spanner......

Those are regarded as ''finders keepers'' but last summer I did pass on a 3ft long adjustable spanner,I'm no weight weenie but a line has to be drawn somewhere :shock: .
I stood it up by the roadside prominently,I reckon it fell out of a tractor.

lol. I changed 'mum' to lily, when i left my phone at Man Airport and they phoned 'mum' mid-stages of Alzheimers and then the finders informed me they could not get any sense out of the person on the end of the phone...... Realised then that if i had an accident this might be the first number they attempted to phone..... oops
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I get stupidly paranoid about having a key on a string around my neck.

One of our lady members rode a club 10 with her car key on a string round her neck. Had to call the RAC to open the car as perspiration had upset the key's electronics.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
Chillipig wrote:The cop shop doesn't take lost gear anymore I don't think?

I hope that's not entirely true. I did pick up a wallet lying in the road a few years ago, and dutifully handed it in to the Police: they thanked me and said they'd restore it to its owner. It had credit cards and a driving licence in it (which would have made finding the owner a doddle, I think) but no cash. I was wondering whether it had been dumped by a thief only took only the cash, but the cop didn't seem to be suspicious.

But, as you say, it's quite possible that the Plod aren't interested in taking on unidentifiable lost property of low value. Perhaps you should take it to a charity shop?

I'm pretty sure that the police still take lost property. Maybe no low value lost property. But that may be better left, or hung on a fence where the owner might notice it? I usually leave things like that for a while in the hopes that the owner will claim them. If it's someplace I go frequently, and it isn't claimed, I may keep it, or give it to someone who will find it useful. Much better than rotting away on fence.

We ended up with a coat that fit my daughter because someone left it in the playground near our house. I hung it on the fence, and when it hadn't been claimed a couple of months later, I washed it, stictched up a hole in the hood & gave it to Mini V. It fit her perfectly. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Years ago while working I left a compact digital camera on the roof of a car and drove off (fairly slowly because it was a forest road and there were people about). I realised by the time I got to the gate but no camera so walked a mile back to where I'd started. I was looking pretty carefully and obviously had the chance to scan the road and its surrounding area twice, but no camera. I was amazed how quickly it had been taken especially 'cause you'd have needed the CD software in those days to make it work effectively.

I suppose it could have been handed in to a local police station which I never then rung or visited because I was a long way from home, so it would have gone unclaimed, but I was still surprised how quickly it disappeared.
Ray

Post by Ray »

You'd be right not to put your house address in the bag, but an email address or mobile phone number would allow an honest finder to contact you.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Last autumn we lost my wife's digital camera in the USA. You may well argue, the USA's rather a big area to search, true, but we're pretty certain it's lying on a rock somewhere overlooking the Shenandoah River near Harpers Ferry in West Virginia. Anyone who's by the merest chance passing that way, look out for it (though I suspect that if it's still there, it'll be rather the worse for wear in the winter weather...)

It wasn't a very good camera anyway, and I bought her a replacement for Xmas. We were miffed chiefly at losing all the piccies on it...
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Many years ago - at least 35 - I took to the police something I had found. Can't even remember what it was but the response was " we will record it but you keep it and if the owner contacts us we will give them your address. If nothing happens for 3 months then it's yours"