What I forgot to put in my saddlebag

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
freeflow

What I forgot to put in my saddlebag

Post by freeflow »

Over the past few years I've built up quite a competent collection of bits in my saddlebag. However on Tuesday afternoon I discovered that I'd missed a fundamentally important piece of kit.

The piece of paper with my name and address.

Because on MOnday afternoon I stopped to adjust my saddle pitch, had to remove saddle pack to make the adjustment, put my multitool in my back pocket for quick access, next adjustment, Then calmly cycled off leaving my saddlebag lying in on the verge. Went back when I realised on Tuesday afternoon but of course it had disappeared. It's surprising how much it takes to replace the missing saddlebag, mini tool, mini pump, inner tubes, tyre levers, CO2 cylinders, rain jacket, chain quickling and other assorted bits and bobs.
mercalia

Re: What I forgot to put in my saddlebag

Post by mercalia »

report to local cop shop? maybe some one will hand in?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Of course, that's not such a good idea if you are in the habit of carrying your house keys in your saddlebag..... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Of course there is nothing to suggest that whoever picked it up would be honest enough to return it..... but it is always worthwhile trying, but as suggested just do not leave your house keys in it......
If they were honest then a local police station might be worth a try...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

House keys and money always go in my back pocket. Stop was ate was quite rural. Probably at least 10 miles from nearest police station. The turn I stopped at is a favoured route for cyclists so it's very likely just found a new home :(
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

freeflow wrote:..........................chain quickling..........................

I love this typo, I want one.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I left my rack pack once at Clapham Common. I forgot about it until I got home. I also had accumulated years worth of bits that were handy to have with me. Some were easy to replace; others less so. When I realised I had left it, I called the police, who (happily) said someone had turned it in. I went back the next day to collect it. They asked me to describe it, and the contents, before handing it over.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

What I forgot to put in my saddlebag....

Post by foxyrider »

at different times i've forgotten my spare tube, tyre levers, pump, lock key, chain tool and even the whole bag! Luckily i've got away with it every time except the lock key (had to walk three miles home to get the key which was safely on the kitchen table!) :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

freeflow wrote:House keys and money always go in my back pocket. Stop was ate was quite rural. Probably at least 10 miles from nearest police station. The turn I stopped at is a favoured route for cyclists so it's very likely just found a new home :(

well if a fav route then may empathise with your loss and take the trouble to hand in
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

Easily done.
My friend played a gig & stopped to repack his car as his kit was rattling. Left his prized Fender guitar on the pavement.
Unfortunately in bandit country.
matlockmark

Post by matlockmark »

A few years ago I stopped near Ashford in the Water to mend a p*ncture, removing my cycle computer from the handlebars.

A couple of days later I was getting ready to go out for a ride and couldn't find the computer anywhere. I searched the house with no success, so went out without it.

A couple of days after that, replaying events in my mind, I remembered taking it off my bike in Ashford; so I rode past the same place (avoiding the thorny hedge cuttings that time), and there it was, still on the wall where I had left it 4 days earlier.
Last edited by matlockmark on 29 Jan 2015, 3:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I could only get the car inside the tandem by removing the front wheel ............yes, drove home from a ride leaving the wheel still in the car park. Not there when I returned after unloading at home.
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

Grandad wrote:I could only get the car inside the tandem by removing the front wheel ......

Was it a very small car or a very big tandem? :wink:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

and it's not easy removing the front wheel of a car :oops:
Chillipig

Post by Chillipig »

The cop shop doesn't take lost gear anymore I don't think?