Loampit Vale Roundabout, Lewisham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fluffybunnyuk

Loampit Vale Roundabout, Lewisham

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Holy Cow!!! I went round this thing last night at 2am having been a regular of the aforesaid deathtrap roundabout...
Before it was quite clogged, hard to see around vehicles and the odd attempt at t-boning or is that de-boning cyclists...
Now its like a 3 lane motorway...
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?authuser=0&hl=en&mid=zRd9Va2YZeds.kcdZL0Xk4SSs
And if i wasnt scared enough before of this thing, Im terrified of it now...It makes the Elephant&Castle roundabout look like a cyclists paradise.
Now it has 3 lanes,fairly blind corners,high speed traffic, and lane markings that suggest to go round it you need to be in the outside (3rd lane).
I'm up for the challenge of cycling big A roads when I must or dangerous roundabouts, so Im no shrinking violet on the roads but whoever designed this mess needs their head examined.
http://lewishamcyclists.co.uk/lewisham-gateway-whats-happening/
tyreon

Re: Loampit Vale Roundabout, Lewisham

Post by tyreon »

Older and slower now. And now 'retired',I wouldn't attempt to go round that thing. I'd walk or cycle on the pavement...if I could. Wotsortathingisthat! Last thoughts and prayers for anyone attempting to cycle it. VC or chlorpromazine for any attempts to get round it.

Have just read about some of the cycling deaths this year. Tragic. But they were the deaths! What isn't highlighted is the girl or guy left with brain injuries,or in a wheelchair,doubly incontinent or whatever. Shoulders,knees...all can and are injured and can go in any accident...lopped off. Then,worse to come,you have IDS(of Conservative Party)to shaft you. In fact,why not put a picture of this man's face centre roundabout as a warning: If you aint killed,HE awaits you!
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Just came back from watching it in action. Was a bit scarey watching a cyclist(in lane 1.5) passing a tipper truck in lane 1 trying to get into lane 3 and getting squeezed by the bus in lane 2.5. Almost lots of jam.For the first time in 18 months I walked to the library instead of cycling. Theres no chance in a million years i'd cycle that roundabout after watching that.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

It's part of the ongoing 'get off our roads' infrastructure from councils across the country, they really don't give a flying one so long as they can increase motorvehicle throughput :twisted:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

This reminds me somewhat of the Vogue Gyratory in Brighton, which has been discussed several times on this forum. However that has been in place for several years and has some cycle 'infarcestructure' in place - albeit heavily flawed.

Just to clarify: I'm assuming that this junction has just started operating in its new layout. I'm not familiar with the area, but Google Maps (without the overlay) and Streetview show an older layout featuring a much smaller roundabout. It would be helpful to know how the priorities have been assigned, also the lane markings and whether there are any traffic lights there.

Without any cycling provision or infarcestructure at all, it indeed looks like a disaster area. But would a few splashes of paint from the box-tickers make it any better?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

yes it opened on monday as part of an attempt to remove the old roundabout.The inside 2 lanes are left hand turns with only the outside lane(3) being straight on...
So for example yes cyclist (10mph) cuts across traffic moving at 40mph to go straight on... rounds blind bend in primary....yes i think you know whats coming....speeding car in 3rd lane comes round blind bend and takes out cyclist...
Red paint might help just to let cars know where the kill zone is if they put there foot down...
I'll try it again tonight (when its empty at 2am) and lit up like a supernova to recheck.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Is there no way of totally avoiding the roundabout?

On my driving route into work I have to cross a roundabout where the A57 crosses the A61 - with a side road thrown in for good measure. That has three lanes going around it but it doesn't have blind corners on it. I have seen cyclists on it but I think of them as being mad. When I ride into work I can change my route slightly to avoid it quite easily.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

nope...and the ped paths are closed. In fact if i want to cross the road to the shops I have to walk 200-300 metres east...cross then walk back.
nez

Post by nez »

I used to walk that way to school. Things have certainly moved on since the 60s!
karlt

Post by karlt »

The fat commuter wrote:Is there no way of totally avoiding the roundabout?

On my driving route into work I have to cross a roundabout where the A57 crosses the A61 - with a side road thrown in for good measure. That has three lanes going around it but it doesn't have blind corners on it. I have seen cyclists on it but I think of them as being mad. When I ride into work I can change my route slightly to avoid it quite easily.

Park Square? I use that from time to time; just have to keep your eyes open.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

karlt wrote:
The fat commuter wrote:Is there no way of totally avoiding the roundabout?

Park Square? I use that from time to time; just have to keep your eyes open.

Nah, t'other one - University Roundabout (or Brook Hill Roundabout). The problem with that roundabout is that people setting off from the A57 junction going into town are generally looking right as they set off. I remember once (and this would have been my fault) a cyclist went past me on the left and then positioned himself in front of my car as I was looking right. I saw the gap in traffic, was just about to [s]floor it[/s] gently pull onto the roundabout when I just noticed this cyclist at the last moment. I don't think that he has any idea how close my car seats came to needing a valet.

I've heard rumours that University Roundabout is going to be redesigned.

If I ride into work the short way then I use Glossop Road to cross the A61 - got to negotiate the tram tracks at a shallow(ish) angle though - but not come a cropper (yet).