Don't judge a book by the cover.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
landsurfer

Don't judge a book by the cover.

Post by landsurfer »

This mornings ride. Wath to barnsley, derne valley via herons reach. Teenagers on motor bikes on the cycle path. Scumbags.
2 miles further on I hit the black ice. . Down like a sack of coal.
as I laid on the ice stunned and self checking for injury when I heard the motor bikes approaching, they stopped and the 2 lads ran towards me, 1 shouting " don't move, stay still", " have you hit your head", " lets help you up". They stayed with me until I had gathered myself. " sure your ok". I thanked them and they returned to their motorbikes, fired up and wheelied off up the cycle path. Neither over 16. But they knew exactly what to do.
I'm battered and bruised but glad they where there.
Last edited by Graham on 24 Jan 2015, 8:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: simile modified
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Don't judge a book by the cover.

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Like. Kids are overly demonised.
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

I was once walking along a canal path and my friend who I was with said "morning/hello" to those who were passing us in the opposite direction. Most of those people being the same age or older. Then a group of youths approached. My friend didn't acknowledge them at all.
I challenged him on it. How are kids meant to know how to behave socially if we as adults don't lead the way and show by example. He accepted he should have said morning/hello to them. I did and they replied.
using hovercraft full of eels.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

young lad (with his mates) called my red bib longs 'schwag' yesterday, actually wrong use of the urban word but I knew what he meant, interacted with him and asked them if they cycled to school. It's far too easy for 'adults' to take the way some kids speak as being agressive when it is often just the way they speak between themselves and indeed wanting to impress their mates. Just interacting normally and most are quite happy to enter into a conversation (if not usually brief..lol)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Like. Kids are overly demonised.

I've noticed that they too start every sentence with like. :wink:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Like. Kids are overly demonised.

I've noticed that they too start every sentence with like. :wink:

Smarty pants! Yes. Annoying. But every 'adult' interviewee on the radio starts sentences with 'So'.

Like so mega annoying...hc
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Don't get me started on "Absolutely!" .
The cyclists that turned up at my ice patch as the lads rode away immediately started to slag off the boys on their motorbikes. I put them right ln no uncertain terms. They weren't convinced. Any chance to have a moan I think.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ossum story :)
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

God topic.
Agreed it's too easy to make assumptions about people, especially young people.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Most of the time I have found that book covers give a really good representation of the contents.
I should coco.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Flinders wrote:God topic.
Agreed it's too easy to make assumptions about people, especially young people.

Have run Youth Clubs for many years now and have come to realise that most of these kids have it pretty rough. They get yelled at at home by dysfunctional parents, go to school and get yelled at by teachers, so take to the streets where they get yelled at by police and bystanders. All they need is someone who will just talk to them and take an interest for a change.

And don't be put off by the hoodies it's not a muggers disguise it's hiding from the world. We could always tell how bad the last week had been for any individual by the degree to which the face would be covered. If something good had happened and they felt ok about themselves for a change the hood would come down.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

yep not all kids are all bad all the time, been YHA's with some slightly out of control 14yr olds, teachers arrived back from pub and shouted at them to settle down, it was certainly clear the female teachers were only there to ensure the trip went ahead..... chatting to the main 'ring leader' of the girls the following morning, treated her as a normal human being and she was a nice girl who responded by showing an interest in what i was doing.
Similarly been with friends at another hostel with a school group and we treated them respect, asked what they were doing, what was on their ghetto blaster (that someone had carried up the track to Shining Cliff!) and they responded in turn.......

We need to remember to treat everyone with respect and i know motorbikes are annoying on tracks but we all want our recreational space....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

eileithyia wrote:yep not all kids are all bad all the time, been YHA's with some slightly out of control 14yr olds, teachers arrived back from pub and shouted at them to settle down, it was certainly clear the female teachers were only there to ensure the trip went ahead..... chatting to the main 'ring leader' of the girls the following morning, treated her as a normal human being and she was a nice girl who responded by showing an interest in what i was doing.
Similarly been with friends at another hostel with a school group and we treated them respect, asked what they were doing, what was on their ghetto blaster (that someone had carried up the track to Shining Cliff!) and they responded in turn.......

We need to remember to treat everyone with respect and i know motorbikes are annoying on tracks but we all want our recreational space....

Agreed. I used to YHA. One place we coincided with a small group of 'rough' lads who had been 'in trouble' and a large group who were from a 'nice' posh school, nice clothes and everything.
The 'rough' kids were perfectly polite to other people and did their share of tasks; their teachers were amazing, strict but fair, and it was clear the teachers and the kids liked and respected each other; it was a pleasure to be with them all, kids and teachers alike. We said this to them before we left.

The 'nice' kids were out of all control, the teachers didn't give a hoot. Those teachers set a terrible example, pushing into food queues in front of their own pupils, which was bad enough, but also in front of us, YHA members. Some of the kids went out one night and got drunk, one girl was throwing up all night. The teachers refused to get a doctor but insisted the girl wasn't drunk (if she hadn't been drunk, she needed a doctor, as the Warden kept pointing out). I also pointed out to them how obnoxious their group was, and how much pleasanter the other group had been, before we left.

Looks, even reputation, certainly aren't everything.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Some children, like some adults, are arses. the only difference being that with the children you generally have the ability if you put in the time and effort to stop them being like that before they get set in their ways.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It doesnt only apply to motorcyclists or kids though does it? According to some its all motorists, all 4WD drivers, Southerners, and so on. I make it a rule to always assume the best about people. This morning I got acosted by a beggar so I asked him "tell me your story" and he did, and it was pretty awful, I think it was genuine because of the detail. Other times I would have walked past without even acknowledging him because I live in a place where there is no real unemployment and plenty of unskilled jobs. But this time it touched me. Some Goths I know are the nicest gentlest people imaginable, just different. Its all too easy to run people down without knowing them

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......