locating a school bus driver

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mrshumphreyjr

locating a school bus driver

Post by mrshumphreyjr »

I was involved in a near miss incident on Tuesday 20th January with an old school bus on a village road on my way to work. I was wearing a Go-Pro which captured the drivers bad positioning which nearly pushed me into a parked car on my side of the road.

I have established that the bus isnt part of a bus operator fleet in this area which do operate other school buses routes and have also contacted the two local school authorities who operate school bus services. One has come back with a negative being one of their school run buses, and I am awaiting a response from the other.

What else can I reasonable do in the circumstances. I wasn't injured, although that was mostly down to my reactions rather than anything the driver did, despite the road being very icy and hazardous. Would the police be interested in this incident? Am I wasting my time? My main concern is that this is a Public service vehicle transporting school age kids. Any advice?

thanks
Flinders

Re: locating a school bus driver

Post by Flinders »

I don't think there is anything to be lost by informing the Police, and showing them your film.
They may be able to trace the vehicle.
If it was a 'working' bus with passengers aboard, the driver's employer should be told, and the police may be able to find them when you may not.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

People fail to get any interest from the police in relation to far more serious incidents caught on camera. Trying to get them interested in non-contact incidents is a complete waste of time. Martin Porter QC had a correspondence with the DPP in relation to a non-contact incident he filmed/suffered, which to him, as a leading lawyer, was quite plainly "dangerous driving" within the meaning of the law as he read it. They really didn't want to know.

But there is some chance that the driver's employer will take an interest, as they don't want their drivers being delayed by having to stop because of accidents they are involved in. In the best case, the employer will tell you that the driver has been given a serious talking-to, though you will still have to decide whether to believe them.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If it is a local school bus then it will probably come through the same bit of road at approximately the same time each weekday.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
jezer

Post by jezer »

By all means offer to show the footage to the police, although they are very unlikely to do anything about it. Have you approached the school concerned? If all else fails there's always uTube. Bad driving vids get lots of hits, and if the bus has the operator's name and/or the reg number showing, then maybe the bad publicity will achieve something.
Power to the pedals
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

iviehoff wrote:People fail to get any interest from the police in relation to far more serious incidents caught on camera. Trying to get them interested in non-contact incidents is a complete waste of time. Martin Porter QC had a correspondence with the DPP in relation to a non-contact incident he filmed/suffered, which to him, as a leading lawyer, was quite plainly "dangerous driving" within the meaning of the law as he read it. They really didn't want to know.

But there is some chance that the driver's employer will take an interest, as they don't want their drivers being delayed by having to stop because of accidents they are involved in. In the best case, the employer will tell you that the driver has been given a serious talking-to, though you will still have to decide whether to believe them.

The response does depend a lot on the force involved, though. Some forces seem to be much more inclined to listen. And even with a bad force, you might just light on a good individual. If the driver only gets 'spoken to', s/he might just be more careful in future, and who knows, you might have saved a life.
There is also the point that if it is a bus, and has kids on board, the police might take a closer interest.
I still think it is worth reporting, as you have evidence to back you up. If nothing else, if you only get it on record, and the driver gets involved in another incident that ends up in injury, his previous poor driving in general might back up a vicitm's case.