UKIP - get off road, cycle on pavement

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TonyR

Re: UKIP - get off road, cycle on pavement

Post by TonyR »

jezer wrote:I think politics should be debated on most forums, especially in a General Election year.

Many cycling campaign groups circulate a list of questions to all candidates and compile all the answers for their membership both for local and national elections.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TonyR wrote:
jezer wrote:I think politics should be debated on most forums, especially in a General Election year.

Many cycling campaign groups circulate a list of questions to all candidates and compile all the answers for their membership both for local and national elections.

It would be a good idea if those compiles answers could be published somewhere for everybody (incl. non-members) as it might influence others.

Next Westminster elections I really don't want to vote for any of the candidates offered (I'll probably only have Lab, cons and Lib Dem and maybe UKIP to chose between). But I also feel that I really should vote. So whilst those questions might easily not include responses from any of the candidates in my area, that their opinions might reflect their party might influence where I end-up voting (or if I decide not to bother).

I appreciate that clubs doing this are doing it for their members (who pay their subscriptions, etc). But I also assume they do it to try and see who is the most "cyclist friendly" candidate, so it would be n the clubs interest to widely publish their collected responses.

Ian
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Psamathe wrote:It would be a good idea if those compiles answers could be published somewhere for everybody (incl. non-members) as it might influence others.

Many of them do. Here are the Cambridge Cycling Campaign results. http://www.camcycle.org.uk/elections/

and the London results
http://lcc.org.uk/pages/councillor-support
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Part of me thinks all prospective candidates should have to sit an extensive exam, including all sorts of general knowledge, subjects, puzzles etc. then all the results published in full, so we can see how smart they really are and compare them against each other.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

maxcherry wrote:I fear that UKIP will get more seats :( People of limited thought hear a accent or see a person of a different colour (regardless if they are born here)
then scream the country is being taken over.

Not much has changed since the 70s

Oddly enough, the most racist areas are often those with the least immigration- i.e., people with no experience of it. And some of the most tolerant areas are places where there has been quite a lot of it, i.e., places where they see the benefits and know the world hasn't ended.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Postboxer wrote:Part of me thinks all prospective candidates should have to sit an extensive exam, including all sorts of general knowledge, subjects, puzzles etc. then all the results published in full, so we can see how smart they really are and compare them against each other.

Combined with a psychometric section?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Perhaps I am wishing for too much to say that I hope Farage and Co are unmasked as the UK Ignorance Party.........
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Postboxer wrote:Part of me thinks all prospective candidates should have to sit an extensive exam, including all sorts of general knowledge, subjects, puzzles etc. then all the results published in full, so we can see how smart they really are and compare them against each other.
Yes. As they would if they had to apply for any other job.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I see they [UKIP] have now released their 100 reasons to vote UKIP (cleaver doing it when there are 100 days until the election!).

(I've not read it, just the article about it), but seems to include slashing foreign aid (£11.4bn to be reduced by £9bn to £2.4bn), bringing back smoking in pubs. No migrants to enter the country unless they have confirmed jobs and accommodation, etc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-election-policies-slash-foreign-aid-bring-back-smoking-in-pubs-ditch-human-rights-act-10008202.html

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:I see they [UKIP] have now released their 100 reasons to vote UKIP (cleaver doing it when there are 100 days until the election!).

(I've not read it, just the article about it), but seems to include slashing foreign aid (£11.4bn to be reduced by £9bn to £2.4bn), bringing back smoking in pubs. No migrants to enter the country unless they have confirmed jobs and accommodation, etc.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukip-election-policies-slash-foreign-aid-bring-back-smoking-in-pubs-ditch-human-rights-act-10008202.html

Ian

I've just read it,it's a typical politrickal party's promises that pander to the non thinking electorate.
These people are a menace.
But then again most politrickal parties are.
Liars.
We simply have to pick the best of the evils offered :?
I won't be choosing UKIP :evil:
One thing's for sure though,it'll be a very different election this time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:I see they [UKIP] have now released their 100 reasons to vote UKIP (cleaver doing it when there are 100 days until the election!).

Ian

Looking at the picture in the article, I note the neat bit of 'product placement' and free publicity on behalf of Messrs Greene King & Co. Or did they really think it was good publicity, being depicted below this idiot of a motormouth?

If they really were to re-introduce smoking in pubs, it might be a minor health benefit to me, seeing as it would deter me from setting foot in many pubs and consuming the alcohol thererin (although having said that, I drink very little as it is). But please don't read in this, any sort of endorsement of these cavemen! :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Reading these posts I sometimes think I've strayed onto The Guardians comments page. I'm no flag waver for UKIP but I'm certainly not a fan of any of the other political parties that have more than their fair share of lying, deceitful. expense fiddling members that are using my hard earned for their enterprises.
At least UKIP have not got their hands on my money yet. I also think there is some merit in looking at the immigration and foreign aid situation amongst others. I don't think I'm dense either.
I would imagine there are plenty of cycle hating MPs keeping their heads down on the benches. The press are digging the dirt on UKIP so they must be considered a viable threat to the status quo. Interesting times.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

bigjim wrote:At least UKIP have not got their hands on my money yet.

Are you sure? They seem to be quite happy riding the EU Gravy Train with their 23 MEPs including Mr Farrago despite their severe aversion to anything EU. And its not clear they are any less willing to dip their fingers in the till than anyone else.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

TonyR wrote:
bigjim wrote:At least UKIP have not got their hands on my money yet.

Are you sure? They seem to be quite happy riding the EU Gravy Train with their 23 MEPs including Mr Farrago despite their severe aversion to anything EU. And its not clear they are any less willing to dip their fingers in the till than anyone else.

Yes I know that. That will continue no matter what. More directed towards the Westminster excess. I'm not saying they are any better, but are they any worse?
I think it's a good thing to have somebody nipping at the heels of the current lot.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bigjim wrote:I think it's a good thing to have somebody nipping at the heels of the current lot.

Trouble is that their high profile is pushing other parties (mainly Conservatives) to move their policies closer to UKIP policies, which has got to be a bad thing. I agree about the need for alternatives to the two main parties (assuming the Lib Dems have "self-destructed"). But the Conservative response to move further right is worrying. Particularly given the poor showing by Ed Milliband.

Ian