UKIP - get off road, cycle on pavement

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Postboxer

Re: UKIP - get off road, cycle on pavement

Post by Postboxer »

But we want the motorists who want us off the road, off the road too.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I am happy to say that I commute by bike in the Charnwood area and I can vouch for the fact that this UKIP twit's views on cycling at least do not match the opinions of the majority, at least in my experience.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Medway already has one elected UKIP MP. His constituency is single figure miles from me.

He attracted 42% of the votes cast, turnout was a shade over 50% so that's about 21% of the overall electorate.

Would 1 in 5 of the local motorists prefer me to be on the pavement? I expect the proportion could be higher :( .
Last edited by gaz on 8 Oct 2016, 11:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Postboxer wrote:But we want the motorists who want us off the road, off the road too.

Only in the same way we want gun toting maniacs off the streets
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

james01 wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11361505/Ban-the-jobless-from-driving-to-ease-congestion-Ukip-candidate-says.html

Not really a surprise considering the calibre of the typical UKIP candidate.

And we now find that a senior UKIP Official from their National Executive Council says that the NHS is a complete waste of money (remembering that Farange also thinks the NHS should to a private insurance funded health service).

What is surprising is that people (even people contributing to this forum) actually vote for these people. So cyclists to get off roads onto pavements, NHS "a complete waste of money", etc.

I would be interested to hear how those voting for them support such principles.

Ian
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I doubt if the people voting UKIP look beyond their proposals on immigration. Hopefully some greater exposure of UKIP to TV debate programmes will expose their (in my opinion) lack of credibility
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This whole rise of popularity in UKIP makes my stomach churn and fills me with dismay and disbelief. Unbelievable they actually have women in the party who will turn back the clock for women's rights. As they will do with gay rights too.
The evidence is we as a nation are dissatisfied with the present state of political parties so here in Scotland there has been a huge shift to SNP. The SNP is a party enlightened offering more equality for all. Whilst in England UKIP seems to be offering the exact opposite.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
wrangler_rover

Post by wrangler_rover »

"The SNP is a party enlightened offering more equality for all."
That is good if you are Scottish.
The way I see it, the SNP want England to bankroll Scotland, they want independence from England but they want to have their say on English issues in Westminster. Hypocritical?

Note to the moderators:
It is maybe time to lock this thread as it has wandered into politics again and is in danger of becoming divisive, more so than the helmet debate!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:I doubt if the people voting UKIP look beyond their proposals on immigration. Hopefully some greater exposure of UKIP to TV debate programmes will expose their (in my opinion) lack of credibility

Unfortunately the one example we have of the Cleggers v Farrago debate on the BBC resulted in voters going for Farrago. To expose a lack of credibility you also need a lack of gullibility.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

wrangler_rover wrote:Note to the moderators:
It is maybe time to lock this thread as it has wandered into politics again and is in danger of becoming divisive, more so than the helmet debate!

The problem with a remark like that, is that the person making it, often does so out of aspiring to have the last word - even if it is marginally off-topic! :wink: This thread was about politics from the outset, it hasn't 'wandered' into it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

wrangler_rover wrote:Note to the moderators:

Why ?
Politics are relevant to cycling (particularly where one party has a candidate who thinks cyclists should be banned from the roads and only allowed to cycle on pavements).

Anything is "in danger of becoming diverse". Even threads about QL release springs (or something like that).

It seems very relevant to cyclists and cycling so why on earth lock something "just in case ...".

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

I can see both sides here, thus I would suggest that: if the thread stays vaguely about cycling then it can stay here. If it moves onto wider things and leaves cycling behind then we may split the non-cycling stuff out to the Tea Shop. But in either case, if people did happen to get nasty then we'd remove either bits of or the whole thing.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I think politics should be debated on most forums, especially in a General Election year. I recall reading a while ago that UKIP policy on cycling consisted mainly of issues that annoyed motorists, and that has been confirmed by the recent stupid comments from one of their candidates. Please ignore the bigots from UKIP in May.
Power to the pedals
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

I fear that UKIP will get more seats :( People of limited thought hear a accent or see a person of a different colour (regardless if they are born here)
then scream the country is being taken over.

Not much has changed since the 70s
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

There can't be much else left for them to have a pop at, can there?
Apart from removing the franchise from the unworthy. They'll be saving that till after the election, I expect...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!