UKIP - get off road, cycle on pavement

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
james01

UKIP - get off road, cycle on pavement

Post by james01 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -says.html

Not really a surprise considering the calibre of the typical UKIP candidate.
pwa

Re: UKIP - get off road, cycle on pavement

Post by pwa »

Don't let it wind you up. It's somebody who is against everything that he doesn't do himself. Given half a chance he will probably offend practically everybody eventually. UKIP will be trying to put some distance between themselves and this crank.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

But make no mistake *this* is what you're voting for if you choose UKIP. That's the their underlying attitude even if they don't all say it out loud.

Like the way he said "Cyclists should go back to the pavements". Back? And the vast majority of roads I cycle on have no pavements, presumably I'd be banned from those entirely.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I believe the difficulty UKIP has is that the underlying attitudes of many of their candidates are quite extreme. Only occasionally does some leak allow us to see what they really think (and would try to do if given any power). Like the "Cyclists only on pavements", like "NHS to move to private insurance ...".

And as Mark says, a vote for UKIP is a vote for what its candidates want to do (the Lib Dems have kindly demonstrated how quickly promises made to win election votes are discarded after the votes are cast).

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Quite an unsurprising comment from one of the Kippers.

Banning benefit claimants from driving would be at odds with the viewpoint of the judiciary: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74381&p=757292#p757292
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

He's on the Mirror website claiming "John Major made it unlawful to ride on the pavement": http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ba ... on-5017896 - and the crap redtop lets that go uncorrected!

Bicycles were developed extensively in the UK, so UKIP should love them if their name were accurate.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

This seems appropriate:

http://youtu.be/i9yGi5fOt6Q
Have we got time for another cuppa?
jgurney

UKIP: 'cyclists get back on the pavement'

Post by jgurney »

According to the BBC, one Lynton Yates, a UKIP county councillor and parliamentary candidate in Leicestershire, has circulated an election leaflet urging that "cyclists should go back to the pavements yet give priority to pedestrians".

He is also suggesting the unemployed people should be banned from driving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-30931266
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

very funny, made my day reading it :lol: What surprises me is that he has been in local politics some time - usually such mad creatures are weeded out and become extinct? What he should have suggested, that the unemployed should be rationed petrol? a gallon a week? Have to show that their full time work id at the petrol station before they can buy more? Also have toll roads where the toll is show your employment id card ( which the unemployed wont have :lol: ) So restrict the routes that the unemployed can use? also make all roads out side town such toll roads to stop them leaving and having a day out ( they should be looking for work not a trip to the seaside? ) :lol: :lol:
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

And 12% of Charnwood's population are forecast to vote for this idiot? Yikes. What does that say about Britain? It's going to take a generation or more to change the infrastructure and culture in favour of cyclists. Just saying...hc
pwa

Post by pwa »

On a positive note, I think people who vote UKIP do so only because of concerns about the EU and high levels of immigration, and not because of all the other stuff that UKIP candidates spout off about. This rubbish gets good press coverage because it is funny.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

pwa wrote:On a positive note, I think people who vote UKIP do so only because of concerns about the EU and high levels of immigration, and not because of all the other stuff that UKIP candidates spout off about. This rubbish gets good press coverage because it is funny.

I don't see what is so positive about that. Immigration is only a minor issue compared to education, welfare and the NHS and I haven't heard anything from UKIP, or the three main parties that convince they will be doing anything to improve them - I will be voting Green.
pwa

Post by pwa »

What I meant was that any popularity UKIP may have is because of one issue. The positive aspect of this is that there is no reason to think that their other views have any popularity.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mark1978 wrote:Like the way he said "Cyclists should go back to the pavements".

Perhaps we should club together to buy him a copy of Carlton Reid's book Roads were not built for cars. http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/
pwa

Post by pwa »

Can he read?