Parking on double yellow line?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Parking on double yellow line?

Post by Mick F »

Apart from the humourous side of this, the little statement says:
Carmarthenshire council traffic and safety manager John McEvoy said: "There was no ticket issued, it is not possible to book a wheelie bin or anything that is not motorised.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-30913291

Is this true?
Can you park a bike on a double yellow?
Mick F. Cornwall
rabmania

Re: Parking on double yellow line?

Post by rabmania »

Here in Glasgow it appears compulsory to park on these, preferably blocking at least half the pavement at the same time. No one ever gets booked, at least of the ones I see every single day.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Mick F wrote:Can you park a bike on a double yellow?

Of course you can, but it might not be legal :wink: .

I'll refer you to an earlier post by our learned colleague, thirdcrank.

The upshot of which is that all yellow lines have an underlying TRO. I have no idea whether such TROs usually specify motor vehicles or vehicles but any enforcement will always depend upon the wording of the specific TRO.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd have thought that, for example, a skip could be "had"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

In Florence I saw something I haven't seen in the uk for many,many years - a bike parked upright outside a shop by pedal-jamming against the kerb. Nor was it unusual. Not locked either. Which was also not unusual. It was a raw titanium Brompton. That was unusual :)

Delightful to think what the reaction of uk motorists to such cyclist appropriation of parking space might be, regardless of the lines. But then, cars are pretty much banned from most of the old centre of Florence, and those that are allowed have to go at a near walking pace.
gaz

Post by gaz »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'd have thought that, for example, a skip could be "had"

I can't quote chapter and verse but skips need a permit to be placed on the road. I can't imagine a local authority issuing a permit to place a skip on DYLs but who knows.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In general, anything on a highway which isn't moving is obstructing it. There are exceptions and the issue of permits to use skips is a good example. (The skip is still causing an obstruction but it's a permitted one.) In general, enforcement is a police matter and nowadays one which only gets any attention when there's an obvious interruption of traffic flow. And not always even then.