Allow slowing down signal with either arm?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
elPedro666

Re: Allow slowing down signal with either arm?

Post by elPedro666 »

You could try both? Signal left with the left arm, and flap up & down with the right...
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

As long as you actually signal. Many cyclists I see and ride with think that waving a hand in the region of their bum is an adequate.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

don1 wrote:I used a hand signal to slow down the other day and a driver behind me hurled abuse at me and repeatedly honked their horn because they didn't recognise it.
Exactly my point.

No-one knows or understands hand signals any more.
........... or if they do, there are precious few of them out there.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Bicycler wrote:Horse riders and those driving horse drawn vehicles?
Indeed. From the Highway Code, 1931 edition:
horse-drawn hand signals.jpg
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:I've never seen a horse rider giving hand signals. Plenty horses and riders round here.
They do, sometimes, around here (where we also have an awful lot of riding stables). For those who don't, what do they expect? Should the horse be expected to give a hoof signal? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Am I out if date?
To pull into the left, with your right arm Palm down you move it up and down with a rotary movement.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I thought straight up & down for braking/slowing - rotating the right arm is to signal left (for in a vehicle where you can't reach the lefthand side window!)
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Yep. you would use the rotary movement for a left turn signal in a right hand drive vehicle. The stop/slowing signal is straight up and down. The distinction is potentially important because a vehicle driver may need to use either. Obviously it is a bit clearer on a bike where nobody in their right mind would be indicating left with their right arm.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I've often wondered whether it's even possible to tell the difference from directly behind - I think perhaps it's palm downwards for slowing, forwards for manoeuvring?

These things made a lot more sense when we all travelled at walking pace*

*so I guess they'll still work okay in the Smoke! [emoji14]
beardy

Post by beardy »

Obviously it is a bit clearer on a bike where nobody in their right mind would be indicating left with their right arm.

I agree it would be putting too much faith in motorists' mental faculties.

Yet you may wish to be using the controls that are on the left hand side of the bars, like the back brake instead of front, or in the case of a motorbike the clutch (Yes, I do have a motorcycle without flashy lights).
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Until recently I had a car with semaphore indicators. Using anything other than a flashing yellow light you have to rely on the people you are signalling to understanding how your signals work. In practice that means that not everybody will understand. All we can do is avoid further confusion. For that reason I would avoid non-standard signals. There are times when I would rather my left hand stayed on my bike's bars. In these situations I would rather not signal and rely on speed and road positioning than indicate with my right arm and potentially cause more confusion

elPedro666 wrote:I've often wondered whether it's even possible to tell the difference from directly behind - I think perhaps it's palm downwards for slowing, forwards for manoeuvring?

That's my understanding. Trying both sat here (and looking a right wally) my hand wants to default to those positions when doing the motions.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I do hope you're in an office or better, cafe, not sat at home where no one can appreciate that! :lol:
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

elPedro666 wrote:I do hope you're in an office or better, cafe, not sat at home where no one can appreciate that! :lol:

At home but getting :roll: looks from the other half! :lol:
beardy

Post by beardy »

Just say it is a new stretching routine. 8)
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Fingers crossed (s)he was sat to your left, else there'll be a gbh case to answer...