Surly DT - Christened by the Ice Demons

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

That's got to be my record-breaking, shortest ride ever:

The plan was to set out for the day, panniers loaded with my Trangia, tea-bags, milk, lunch etc.

I turned out my drive and bit the tarmac. Crash, bang wallop. Map off, brake lever "characterised" and my shin scagged by my nice, sharp DMR flatties. Milk's a bit frothy too! It's so icy I could push my bike sideways back up the drive! Just seen a neighbour zoom by on his bike towards a right angle bend on our road :shock:

Hurumppff - Might just prune my apple trees :(
geocycle

Re: Surly DT - Christened by the Ice Demons

Post by geocycle »

I abandoned too. Ice and fog here in NW england. I'm not going to risk broken bones. Been a rubbish start to cycling year, only about 40 miles done. Combination of weather (gales, ice, snow and rain) and work has really restricted riding opportunities.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Heltor Chasca wrote:That's got to be my record-breaking, shortest ride ever:

The plan was to set out for the day, panniers loaded with my Trangia, tea-bags, milk, lunch etc.

I turned out my drive and bit the tarmac. Crash, bang wallop. Map off, brake lever "characterised" and my shin scagged by my nice, sharp DMR flatties. Milk's a bit frothy too! It's so icy I could push my bike sideways back up the drive! Just seen a neighbour zoom by on his bike towards a right angle bend on our road :shock:

Hurumppff - Might just prune my apple trees :(

Sorry to read that HC hope you are now enjoying cuppa whilst on here.
Thankfully just rain here but I still went for a run early instead.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

HC
Hope you're OK and not too shook up(unlike the milk :shock: )

Tip:-
Thermometer hung up outside,if the roads are wet and it's below 4degC don't risk it :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

The main roads across the levels are fine. Managed a ride from Taunton to Glastonbury this morning. Minor roads were icy though. I suspect you are a bit higher than us. It's surprising how conditions deteriorate as you go uphill :(
Hope you didn't do too much damage. Forecast tonight is not good - looks like a walking day tomorrow. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PH

Post by PH »

I backed out of this mornings club ride. Went for a walk mid morning instead, very warm in the glorious sunshine but still very icy in the shade. IMO not worth the risk. Looks like it'll be the tedious following the bus routes into work tomorrow, rather than the direct cycle paths.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

PH wrote:I backed out of this mornings club ride. Went for a walk mid morning instead, very warm in the glorious sunshine but still very icy in the shade. IMO not worth the risk. Looks like it'll be the tedious following the bus routes into work tomorrow, rather than the direct cycle paths.

Yes, same here. Went for a walk. Tomorrow will be commuting on main road. Soon be spring I suppose....
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hey ho. Days like this make us appreciate the good ones [emoji106]

I spent 3 or 4 hours in my fruit garden. All ready for Spring now.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I managed to get 40 miles in yesterday by sticking to gritted routes, but conditions were much worse today, so I stayed in and cleaned all my bikes and changed the chain and cassette on my winter bike. I've managed to get 250 miles so far this year but you certainly have to pick your days!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The club run was cancelled this morning due to Bolton being covered in snow and ice. I figured I'll be one of the few smug cyclists who are out and stuck the snow stud tyres on for a long way round trip to Urmston. Got out of the flat about 1.30pm and even the side roads were mostly clear. Figured I'd stay on the safe side and keep the tyres at 20 psi even though it made them extra draggy.
2 miles later in Atherton all the ice and snow was gone...all of it. Not a drop anywhere. 18 snow and ice free miles later I arrived at my partners.
We just can't win can we? :twisted:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

reohn2 wrote:HC

Thermometer hung up outside,if the roads are wet and it's below 4degC don't risk it :wink:

Just to confirm, if its dry but around -2 and there is frost on the cars, am I likely to be OK in the morning around 630am for my commute on cycle paths?
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

When reporting on weather related items a note of the area under reference would be very helpful.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

reohn2 wrote:HC

All good thanks[emoji6] I'm self employed so not worth it. My life assurance and illness policy requires me to be off work for at least 3 months or dead and gone for real! Go figure [emoji43]
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 18 Jan 2015, 8:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Grandad wrote:When reporting on weather related items a note of the area under reference would be very helpful.

Middle of the road just in front of my house [emoji85][emoji86][emoji87]
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Grandad wrote:When reporting on weather related items a note of the area under reference would be very helpful.

Middle of the road just in front of my house [emoji85][emoji86][emoji87]

Ok that was just mean and childish[emoji12]

I'm at about 400ft A.S just near the Mendips and Bath, Somerset...hc