Sunday Times: drivers should pass close

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Re: Sunday Times: drivers should pass close

Post by TrevA »

Elizabethsdad wrote:My wife's observation on a future with driverless cars is that it could lead to a lot less cars cluttering up narrow residential streets and blocking the pavements since once the car has dropped you off at your front door it can go and park itself somewhere else until wanted again.

Won't it lead to twice as much congestion? After dropping you off at work/shopping, the car can take itself home, then come and pick you up later, doubling the journeys. Why pay to park in a car park, when it can park for free at home.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

TrevA wrote:
Elizabethsdad wrote:My wife's observation on a future with driverless cars is that it could lead to a lot less cars cluttering up narrow residential streets and blocking the pavements since once the car has dropped you off at your front door it can go and park itself somewhere else until wanted again.

Won't it lead to twice as much congestion? After dropping you off at work/shopping, the car can take itself home, then come and pick you up later, doubling the journeys. Why pay to park in a car park, when it can park for free at home.

Driverless cars also don't understand nuances such as a car letting you out, I read. I think Mr Grid and Mrs Lock could be an unintended consequence in our major Urban centres!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Of course they can understand being let out...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Of course they can understand being let out...

Not sure if I'm missing a whoosh parrot, but pressing on regardless, how do they recognise it?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I remember something similar from the late 70's / early 80"s

The car ws designed to keep a safe distance from the one in front and would regulate the speed according to distance.

Worked superbly until it got onto the roads.

The vehicle keeping a distance was fine, but the fact hat this gap was then seen as a legitimate route to the outside lane, or to simply slot into was an issue

As soon as a car cut in, the distance reading made slow speed a requirement and the vehicle would brake abruptly, the car behind would than have problems braking in time

The concept was fine, but there is no way that you will ever be able to predict or model the stupidity of some drivers
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Bonefishblues wrote:
TrevA wrote:

Driverless cars also don't understand nuances such as a car letting you out, I read. I think Mr Grid and Mrs Lock could be an unintended consequence in our major Urban centres!

Driverless cars would be aware of each other and be constantly communicating (if the designers have any common sense) and can therefore work co-operatively to keep everyone moving. As for my wife's point - she was talking about street/pavement parking outside houses not at work or shops. We took the idea a bit further by thinking that driverless cars could actually lead to a reduction in the number of cars in total as people wouldn't actually need to have their own car. You'd have an app on your smart phone that calls up the nearest available car to come to you - you can even choose the car to suit your requirements - a small one for one or two people, an MPV for the family or even a van if you are moving something. The possibilities that driverless cars offer make travelling and therefore life as whole, so much better are very attractive.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

They could all park bumper to bumper then all move apart to let the middle car out. There would be less congestion assuming there would be less accidents by them, less rear end shunts, less multi-vehicle pile ups as they would all be driving to the highway code and leaving safe stopping distances, which in theory could actually be a lot closer to the car in front, increasing traffic flow further.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Cunobelin wrote:I remember something similar from the late 70's / early 80"s

The car ws designed to keep a safe distance from the one in front and would regulate the speed according to distance.

Worked superbly until it got onto the roads.

The vehicle keeping a distance was fine, but the fact hat this gap was then seen as a legitimate route to the outside lane, or to simply slot into was an issue

As soon as a car cut in, the distance reading made slow speed a requirement and the vehicle would brake abruptly, the car behind would than have problems braking in time

The concept was fine, but there is no way that you will ever be able to predict or model the stupidity of some drivers

Yes, makes you wonder how on earth the Google cars have survived so many miles without a crash.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

So as long as the humans keep out of the mix and let the cars get on with it we're probably OK :lol:
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

As a driver I've experienced many delays in traffic, and every single one has been caused by hordes of other car drivers being on the road at the same time as me.

I can't remember one single instance where my journey time has been altered to any significant degree by a cyclist.

Bitter, sad gits who can convince themselves that their car journeys are ever significantly hampered by cyclists deserve ridicule and contempt for their delusions.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Won't the fact that drivers are supposed to give cyclists so much room have come as a shock to some readers? :lol: :twisted:
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

I think you'll find that technology has made a bit of progress in the past 40 years..... :roll:

The point of autonomous operation is that the vehicle CAN 'predict the stupidity of some drivers'. If it can't, it won't make it far past the test stage. I suspect that near autonomous cars will be on the roads in a couple of years (there are cars that effectively can drive themselves in traffic queues now). The legislation will take a bit of time to catch up - and the rail and public transport lobby will try very hard to stop it - truly autonomous cars would make HS2 a pointless white elephant.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Thermostat9 wrote:

I think you'll find that technology has made a bit of progress in the past 40 years..... :roll:

The point of autonomous operation is that the vehicle CAN 'predict the stupidity of some drivers'. If it can't, it won't make it far past the test stage. I suspect that near autonomous cars will be on the roads in a couple of years (there are cars that effectively can drive themselves in traffic queues now). The legislation will take a bit of time to catch up - and the rail and public transport lobby will try very hard to stop it - truly autonomous cars would make HS2 a pointless white elephant.

How would that be the case?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Thermostat9 wrote:

How would that be the case?

Because door to door would likely still be quicker by road, and you can work in the car that's driving itself...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bonefishblues wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Of course they can understand being let out...

Not sure if I'm missing a whoosh parrot, but pressing on regardless, how do they recognise it?

How do you - by watching the world around you.
It would detect the gap, the change in speed of the car - the various signals that I would use to determine if I thought someone was letting me out.