Interesting.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
beardy

Re: Interesting.

Post by beardy »

ferdinand wrote:Interesting that, according to the linked article,19 out of 38 cyclists stopped were given 'words of advice' and only 19 were fined.

For the same number of motorists, 36 out of 37 were fined, and only 1 out of 37 given 'words of advice'.

That looks like firmer policing of motorists who were stopped.

F

Looking at the list of offences they seemed to only be stopping motorists for more serious events, with the exception of the seatbelts.
Were those five red light offences committed by cars, full on violations where they crossed the junction or were they just creeping into ASLs? I think if they had been picking up on ASL violation there would have been a lot more motorists charged but I bet they were ignoring it, despite it carrying a greater penalty than any of the cycling offences.

So I think it was more likely that it was firmer policing of cyclists. I could spot a lot more (endorsable) offences than that in any town centre in a few minutes.
reohn2

Re: Interesting.

Post by reohn2 »

Vantage wrote:
andy65 wrote:It sometimes seems that the police only treat it as a priority after someone is killed.

http://madcyclelanesofmanchester.blogsp ... g.html?m=1

Ironic really isn't it?

£50's a bit steep for riding on the pavement :shock:
£20 would be more like it
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden