Vomit-inducing content from the Guardian

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
JayGatsby

Re: Vomit-inducing content from the Guardian

Post by JayGatsby »

>realises the Guardian is terrible newspaper

I could have saved you the trouble of a lifetime of reading that publication.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Psamathe wrote:I thought there were strict rules about identifying "advertisements" as opposed to normal content. And I read bits and it seems like an advert, yet I could notice nothing identifying it as such.

It should have a big green badge saying "Brought to you by Land Rover" or some such, but if you're using an adblocker you probably won't see this.
Last edited by JamesE on 15 Jan 2015, 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Vantage wrote:They're promoting cycling right? Why is that a bad thing?
Er, "get out, strap your bikes to the back of your Land Rover, and enjoy winter on two wheels" sounds like promoting Land Rover motor vehicle use to me :roll:

Although I suspect it might take a bit of effort to get a Landy on 2 wheels for any length of time :lol:
"42"
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

JamesE wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I thought there were strict rules about identifying "advertisements" as opposed to normal content. And I read bits and it seems like an advert, yet I could notice nothing identifying it as such.

It should have a big green badge saying "Brought to you by Land Rover" or some such, but if you're using an adblocker you probably won't see this.

Not in my browser. I contacted the Guardian about this. Guardian are being rather "technically challenged" these days; they have quite a few major issues with their web stuff and their technical staff seem to lack the ability and motivation to sort it out.

Ian
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

al_yrpal wrote:Our local coppers and PCOs have Land Rover MTBs, but they cant ride them because they havent had nanny inspect them for 6 months. Why Land Rovers? Its a fashion brand where you pay extra for the cachet of the brand name! The police waste money alarmingly in all sorts of ways, from neglecting their buildings to buying expensive unecessesary kit to having all these different forces leading to top heavy structures that dont fight crime effectively. No wonder you hardly ever see a copper.

Al

Some forces get bikes donated by company's. Thats why some countys have certain bike brands.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

squeaker wrote:
Vantage wrote:They're promoting cycling right? Why is that a bad thing?
Er, "get out, strap your bikes to the back of your Land Rover, and enjoy winter on two wheels" sounds like promoting Land Rover motor vehicle use to me :roll:

Although I suspect it might take a bit of effort to get a Landy on 2 wheels for any length of time :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rdk4ayXZHk

:mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

meic wrote:My reading of it is that she has not bought it for any eighteen year old son but that is the only reason any outsider could see for her driving it, or that was the excuse she would offer for driving it.

I wondered about that too. In that case, she should have worded the sentence:
The only plausible explanation for me being in this car would be if I had bought it as an 18th birthday present for my spoiled son, and were driving it home while having a nervous breakdown.
instead of what she actually wrote:
The only plausible explanation for me being in this car is that I have bought it as an 18th birthday present for my spoiled son, and am driving it home while having a nervous breakdown.

Of course, Zoe, like all of us, isn't going to get her grammar 100% right all the time. In that case an alert sub-editor should have spotted the ambiguity and checked with her before going to press. This effectively illustrates the risks of the written word being misinterpreted - something the poor old Grauniad has acquired something of a reputation for....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
RickH

Post by RickH »

I'm using an ad blocker (with Firefox) & I'm not getting a Landrover badge but it does have "Brought to you by: Land Rover" in plain text below the "Hibernot Outdoor Adventures" on the left. (Is the space between the 2 where the logo is supposed to appear?).

Hibernot.JPG
Hibernot.JPG (10.98 KiB) Viewed 771 times

In fact the whole "Hibernot" thing seems to be a Land Rover run thing.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
horizon

Post by horizon »

661-Pete wrote:I agree with Vantage here. If this article serves to encourage cycling, what's so bad about that?

Well, it's obviously done its job then :wink: .

This is subliminal advertising of the worst sort. The article establishes the fact that to enjoy the outdoors, you need to travel by motor vehicle - that's the "given". That's the trick. The nice people from Land Rover then go on to discuss cycling, in that context. Interestingly they do then go on to describe various things you can do directly from home. Neverthless, they have successfully established the idea, by association, that outdoors = go by car. Pity then the poor kids trapped in the back of these monsters.

Remember, it's Land Rover who are producing this guff - the very people whose products prevent children from walking and cycling to school even if they don't kill all the time.

If Land Rover wish to peddle (sic) these beliefs, that's their business, though I think it is sick. My anger was directed at the Guardian for relinquishing their editorial power over a highly contentious issue. It looks like they too were thoroughly hoodwinked.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Don't media types call these 'advertorials'?
I should coco.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

That is exactly what it has got :roll: . I'm no fan of the Guardian drivel-machine, but they are OK on this charge.

Better 4 by 4s made in this country, and ones that are capable of being real 4x4s rather than fake penis extensions. Perhaps we should ban car parks at trail centres. Ride What You Brung is a great principle.

Agreed that that car for an 18 year old is completely bonkers. Mine at 17 was a VW Polo 950cc that did 73 on the speedo if you wound it up for miles. But this is La Zoe in the Groan, so you know what level of quality to expect.

Ferdinand
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

On a longish journey down the M6 recently, I noticed that some of the wort driving was being perpetrated by vehicles (mostly but not only large 4x4s) with bikes on board.
I must say I was rather disappointed.
I think only one vehicle we saw carrying bikes didn't break the speed limit and/or worse.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RickH wrote:I'm using an ad blocker (with Firefox) & I'm not getting a Landrover badge but it does have "Brought to you by: Land Rover" in plain text below the "Hibernot Outdoor Adventures" on the left. (Is the space between the 2 where the logo is supposed to appear?).

Hibernot.JPG

In fact the whole "Hibernot" thing seems to be a Land Rover run thing.

I don't even get the "Brought to you by ..." bit. Safari on Mac.

Ian
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I used to have a Landrover 90, (they are now called 'Defender') but it didn't kill anyone and I couldn't try as I might break the speed limit on the motorway as it only did 70 mph with a tailwind or downhill. I didn't live in Chelsea btw ;-)