Vomit-inducing content from the Guardian

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Vomit-inducing content from the Guardian

Post by horizon »

http://www.theguardian.com/hibernot-out ... he-weather

As a lifelong Guardian reader, I'm entitled to rage over the shallow rubbish that Land Rover can pump out under the Guardian banner as a consequence of their having bought their way into the brand. I understand why Land Rover might wish to buy their way into the healthy outdoor lifestyle ethos (after all, who would want to sit in a traffic jam in an overheated two ton lump of metal and glass?) but I'm flabbergasted that the Guardian just roll over and let them do it. The articles are written by Land Rover but made to look like Guardian output. So, yes everybody, let's "strap our bikes to a Land Rover" and get out into the Great Outdoors. If you are not killed by one of their products in the meantime.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bicycler

Re: Vomit-inducing content from the Guardian

Post by Bicycler »

land-alfdb268-001.jpg
beardy

Post by beardy »

Where do you put the feed sacks and hay bales?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

They're promoting cycling right? Why is that a bad thing?
If other (more) vehicle manufacturers did that then I suspect we would see more motorists taking to their bikes and the more cyclists we have in the UK, the more people the government have to please with more decent cycling infrastructure. We might also conclude that as more motorists take to their bikes, they might finally get it through their thick skulls why close passes and other crap/selfish driving is so dangerous.
My only hybrid was a Landrover too :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Our local coppers and PCOs have Land Rover MTBs, but they cant ride them because they havent had nanny inspect them for 6 months. Why Land Rovers? Its a fashion brand where you pay extra for the cachet of the brand name! The police waste money alarmingly in all sorts of ways, from neglecting their buildings to buying expensive unecessesary kit to having all these different forces leading to top heavy structures that dont fight crime effectively. No wonder you hardly ever see a copper.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I agree with Vantage here. If this article serves to encourage cycling, what's so bad about that?

Try reading some of the motoring articles in the Grauniad, above all this very silly article from last Saturday, in which Zoe Williams boasts about buying a high-performance car for her 18yo son.

Which would you rather see in the Graun?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

My reading of it is that she has not bought it for any eighteen year old son but that is the only reason any outsider could see for her driving it, or that was the excuse she would offer for driving it.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems common for large cars in showrooms to be displayed with a bike on the roof and a lot of the media advertising of cars tries to associate them with cycling. There was an ad for a whacking great Volvo estate a few years ago with a bike laid out full-length in the back.

The matter of "advertising features" AKA ads dressed up as newspaper articles has been a source of complaint for decades.

It's good to see that newspaper readers can see straight through it.

OTOH, it must be quite hard for the bike retailers to sell bikes branded "Land Rover" at least to anybody who knows anything about cycling: a bit like Doc Marten's bringing out a range of running spikes or ballet slippers. :lol:
beardy

Post by beardy »

There was an ad for a whacking great Volvo estate a few years ago with a bike laid out full-length in the back.

Ooh, tempting. :lol:

I just mean the available space, rather than an alluring bike stretched out before me. :oops:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

horizon wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/hibernot-outdoor-adventures/2015/jan/13/winter-on-two-wheels-how-to-cycle-through-the-weather
The articles are written by Land Rover but made to look like Guardian output.

I thought there were strict rules about identifying "advertisements" as opposed to normal content. And I read bits and it seems like an advert, yet I could notice nothing identifying it as such.

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

I guess that it depends on how you do it - have you read Cycling World?
Ned Ludd

Post by Ned Ludd »

A bike in the back of a volvo estate....Well at least you can recycle the packaging.....
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

they should change the name to land owner
jezer

Post by jezer »

The Guardian is usually a good read. The weekend magazine car test feature has often tested bikes, although many of them were BSO's or electric assist versions. But if mainstream readers get to see some alternative to cars maybe it's for the better?
Power to the pedals
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

http://ferdinand.johannes-l.net/

This is the sort of "prestige car" I like.

It is a disguised cycle.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies