Front lights that are too bright

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ian s

Front lights that are too bright

Post by ian s »

I had the first instance of a new problem yesterday on my way to work. Another cyclist caught up with me, and then followed me with his very bright front light shining straight at me. The problem was that with my mirror I could then not tell whether cars etc were coming at me from behind, because I was "blinded" by the following cyclist
freeflow

Re: Front lights that are too bright

Post by freeflow »

Just like being followed by a car with badly adjusted, or normal extra bright dipped headlights then.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Except that cars dont stay close behind you keeping you in this state of dazzle for long.

Unless, of course, you are in a another car yourself.
mjr

Post by mjr »

You should not rely on your mirrors and you have two options to deal with dazzle: 1. stop; 2. ask the dazzler to dip their light.

Dazzling lights are illegal but the number of dazzling cars out there suggests that the police don't punish many.
Last edited by mjr on 13 Jan 2015, 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

mjr wrote:You should not rely on your mirrors and you have two options to deal with dazzle: 1. stop; 2. ask the dazzler to dip their light.

Dazzling lights are illegal but the number of dazzling cars out there suggests that the police don't prosecute many.

The police in some cases are just as guilty.
Some chap had been pulled over last night and was being questioned by the boys in blue. Their car was parked behind the questioned drivers car and the blue lights flashing for all they were worth. I couldn't see a thing until I was past them.
Further on, a police van was parked on the left right in front of a zebra crossing and again, I couldn't see if anyone was crossing from in front of it.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
ian s

Post by ian s »

mjr, you are correct that I should not rely on mirrors, and at junctions and such like I do not, but for keeping a watch for cars etc approaching from behind on the open road mirrors are very useful; except when there is a following cyclist with a dazzling light
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Are we to assume then that the light from the cyclist behind you is somehow stopping your ears from working? :lol:
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I'm minded to point out that the same could be true of following someone with ultra bright rear lights as well, especially if on a commute (which could be often).

I have these very bright rear light on a couple of bikes, which I have tilted down (just like a front light). They still give an intense glow, but it's not weapons grade/lazer standard to the eyes. They also bathe the road in a swathe of red light.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I wonder how long it wil take for pedestrians to be required to carry bright lights and/or hi-vis so that they aren't blamed when they are mutilated by the tin cans in the hours between sunset & sunrise.
Yes some bike lights are very bright, probably too bright for the urban environments they are used in but it's oft that they are pointing too far upwards.
That said when the police start pulling over motors for having overtly bright & misaligned lights (& I encounter them every time I'm out at night without fail) then we can then start worrying about the relatively minor problem of cyclists & their lights. :roll:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm not sure whether the OP was talking of a recumbent here, but I don't have a mirror on my bike, it would never have occurred to me to fit one. I'm an adherent of the standard 'glance behind' practice. And I don't really need to glance behind to tell that a car is approaching me from behind at night, after all it will illuminate the road ahead of me.

Whatever your preference, don't rely on a mirror. That's a given.

Having said that, I've often, recently, been passed by cyclists going the other way with over-bright front lamps. I call this a bit anti-social. Since I invested in my Magicshine, I've been careful to flip it to the 'low' setting whenever there's anyone approaching. Or when there's a car in front going the same way as me, for that matter. I was once flashed in annoyance by a motorist, when I failed to switch the lamp in time, due to my fumbling with gloves on. But only the once.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Vantage wrote:The police in some cases are just as guilty.
Some chap had been pulled over last night and was being questioned by the boys in blue. Their car was parked behind the questioned drivers car and the blue lights flashing for all they were worth. I couldn't see a thing until I was past them.
Further on, a police van was parked on the left right in front of a zebra crossing and again, I couldn't see if anyone was crossing from in front of it.

the law
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made section 27 being the relevant bit.

Warning beacon emitting blue light and special warning lamps.

Used so as to be lit except–
(i)at the scene of an emergency; or
(ii)when it is necessary or desirable either to indicate to persons using the road the urgency of the purpose for which the vehicle is being used, or to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle or a hazard on the road.

That doesn't mean that they should leave their flashing lights on in street lit areas unless it is an emergency or the vehicle is in a hazardous position, a large proportion of the time that doesn't apply & IMO the brightness of the lights are a hazard to other road users.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

(iii) When a right turn across a line of busy traffic is required.
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

I have had problems with other cyclists with over bright/no cut off lights on my commute along a cycle track a couple of times.
When they come towards you, I can't see a thing until they are past. However, I can normally see whether there are any pedestrians around before they get too close and I usually hold my hand up to shield my eyes.
I have also had a problem with a cyclist drafting me with a very bright front light. I cast a big shadow in front of myself with a very bright outer edge. It was very hard to see the path ahead of me even with my bright (but cut off) cycle lights. I should have slowed down and let him go past but that is hard to do......
I can understand why people want to see where they are going but for road/cycle path use, you should have either a horizontal cut off of the beam at about waist high or a dipped beam option. Anything else is just inconsiderate
Mark
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Coming home last night after dark, I was forced to take a different route from usual because my usual route was flooded. This is an extremely narrow lane - a 'single track with passing places' type road. Most of the few cars I met, slowed down almost to a standstill to let me pass, as one would expect. But I must confess - when one approached who showed no signs of wanting to slow down or give way, I was sorely tempted to blast them with my full 1000 lumens, in order to deliberately dazzle and force them to stop.

But I didn't. You'll be relieved to learn I didn't meet aggro with aggro. I just chickened out and squeezed against the hedge...

There's always one. :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Regarding dipping of cycle lamps: mine is only secured to the handlebar with a rubber ring, so I can 'dip' it merely by pressing it forward with my thumb. Not as effective as a car's dipped beams, because the light spread from my lamp is quite wide with no cut-off, but no-one's complained yet when I do it.